My 33's broken

Started by colcol, January 21, 2012, 08:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

"...but geez i had a great day". :)
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

orgigeorgie

Mate, I was driving behind you for most of that stretch and yeh we saw you hit the bump as i narrowly missed it after seeing your car lurch over it. Sorry to hear it mate.

On the bright side, you looked like you were having a great time on the road. I was trying to imitate your line and i have to say, i learnt a fair bit. Also hearing you heel and toeing, double clutching and make that engine scream was pretty awesome. I was honestly struggling to keep up at some parts.

George
156 GTA | 156 TS | GTV6

colcol

Thanks George, but no one to blame but myself for hitting that bump, very lucky, could have been a lot worse, can't wait to get back again, the fancy heeling and toeing is because, if you don't it won't go into gear, unlike 156's which have good strong synchro's and seem to go into gear easy, gee, modern cars, too easy!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Sorry about the 33 problem but fantastic effort & read getting the car home - Magivor (???? ???) has nothing on your efforts!

Have a spare set of Koni's so front struts are yours (PM me).

Paul

dehne

just so you know the 33 from ebay sold forn $142, out bid by $2
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

So Mr Dehne, secret 33 fancier are we?, having the same 33 for 26 years hasn't affected me,.... all that much, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dehne

have driven before and they are a fun little car, was think for my daught who is 12 to start in to motorkana
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

My neice Ella is 9, dead keen to do the Alfa club driver training, can't wait till she is 12, wants to do in now, uncle Col, put blocks on the pedals in the 33!, Colin.

colcol

Something i left out of my strut 'rebuild', was that it has a Koni shock absorber replacement, and you are able to loosen the bolt that holds the shock in the bottom, and using a rock 'stolen' from the cutting, bash the shocker upwards in the strut, so that you can get the spring in under the top housing plate, but most of you people out there wouldn't be able to do this, as you lack one of my features, that is a big fat body that i can use to compress the spring enough, in the heyday of the 33 they had Spica front struts, that used to last about 10 minutes as they used to leak, i remember seeing a whole heap of struts at a dealer, and they were all leaking while they sat on the shelf!, Koni couldn't keep up with the demand for 33 shockers, as it was a fix for dealers. mine took months to turn up, and this is how we fitted it, use a angle grider to grind a 45 degree angle on the top of the strut to release the old one, pull it out, clean up the housing so the new Koni goes in, drill hole in bottom of strut for retaining bolt, put Koni in, put in bolt, do it up to pull Koni down, its been there at least 25 years until Mr. Magoo hit a bump that everyone else missed, Colin.

116gtv

What a story, Colin. Thanks for sharing.. How many kms on that 33 out of interest?

Ray Pignataro

Colin are you saying you never adjusted the koni in twenty five years? says a lot about koni and maybe even more about you" ïf its not broke"

colcol

Hey 116gtv, 275,000 on odometer, more like 285,000 due to speedo not working in the early days, [common Alfa problem on 33's], still a daily driver except when i break it, Colin.

colcol

Hey Mr. Pignatauro, never touched the Koni's since i put them in in the late 80's, what i like about Koni's is you can rebuild them, assuming you can get parts for them....which i am about to find out, hate throwaway stuff , cause you never get the chance to fix things, but just replace things, Colin.

Ray Pignataro

Colin i had mine rebuilt a few years ago wasnt particuarly expensive and they were revalved to yellow spec, it was fulcrum in qld that did the rebuild

colcol

Took the stuffed Koni today to Top Performance in Vermont, in Melbourne, i will tell you if they can rebuild them, if it was any other brand, then it would be a throwaway job, Colin.