Upgrade horsepower on alfetta 2L

Started by gtv6sv, January 16, 2012, 05:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtv6sv

Ok guys so as you all know I have an '83 GTV 2L, I want to restore this car however when I bring it back to life I want it to have more HP:) now I know 160-165bhp is relatively easy however I want try get around 170-180bhp, more would be nice but judging from research more than that isn't too road friendly which I want to use the car for. Although if anyone knows to get more power and still be user friendly on the road(what i mean by user friendly is that I don't have to be doing 4000-5000rpm+ to get power, have good power right through the rev range) please share your knowledge and sources:)
I want go down the naturally aspirated, carburetor way so if anyone knows anyway to achieve this without breaking the bank too much, please throw some advice at me:) any special parts, exhausts etc needed please do tell!
Kind regards, Stefan.
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

Storm_X

Whats your budget ?? (03) 9844 0147 <--- Give that number a ring, you can find out anything you want
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: gtv6sv on January 16, 2012, 05:23:56 PM
Although if anyone knows to get more power and still be user friendly on the road(what i mean by user friendly is that I don't have to be doing 4000-5000rpm+ to get power, have good power right through the rev range) please share your knowledge and sources:)

V6. 

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I've driven a 180bhp 2.0 carb race engine, and it was great - on the racetrack.  But it would not suit a road car, it cost over $10k, and was built by the best in the business.  (And you needed at least 5000rpm+++)

What you're asking for is not possible.  Maybe look at a twinspark conversion, that's a reliable 150bhp or so, with reasonable torque.

Otherwise, it sounds like you need a V6, preferably a 3.0.  Even the 2.5 doesn't really lift it's skirts till 4000rpm.

gtv6sv

The information I got was from this guy I met at the Auto Italia of 2009, he had a 1984 silver GTV 2.0, I spoke to him for a good while about the car and he told me on the dyno he got 178BHP from his engine, it was the original engine that came with the car, what he did was he put 45mm Webers, stainless steel oversized valves, full custom exhaust system, raised the compression a bit, forged conrods, better valve springs, hotter cams, hotter plugs and upgraded spark leads and some other minor things which I cannot remember. But what intrigued me the most was that he said he adjusted the cam timing and the ignition timing and he rekns after that the car absolutely flew! He said he had power from 2000rpm onwards and revved freely to around 7800! I wish I could meet this guy again, he had some very useful information. He was a self taught mechanic on his own car who liked to do "wild experiments" with this car haha. The car sounded very mean indeed when he started it and revved it up, very responsive. It idled around 1000-1100 so thats ok but what an engine he had!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: gtv6sv on January 17, 2012, 06:08:43 PMI wish I could meet this guy again, he had some very useful information.

I think all the group S Alfa drivers would like to as well.... 180 hp through 45s, and still good around town :-\

Storm_X

Are we talking power at the wheels or engine ?

MD

An engine that pulls 7800rpm and makes power from 2000 rpm is never going to be a cheap engine. Nor does it make sense that an engine capable of those revs with 45mm webbers only makes 180bhp.

Either supercharge what you have or get a 3 litre V6.. but it isn't going to end there.

You will need better brakes, suspension, custom exhaust systems, improved night lighting, better radiator etc and so the budget is heading towards the bank.

A final tip: some time later when you are sick of the project and you want to move onto something new, be prepared to write most of your expenses off because unless all the work is proven to have been done by a recognised workshop that has good credentials, you will never realise the expenditure you put into it. Note this well.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

gtv6sv

I think this guy would be very valuable to every owner of a twin cam 2L! This power was at the engine. Judging by everyones experiences with these engines though I think I may just work the book 'How to power tune alfa romeo twin cam engines' by Jim Kartalamakis, according to the book if I tune it for the road I should get around 160-165BHP which I think is sufficient enough for these cars and according do the book says its pretty affordable (although that will be tested once production begins!)
I have thought of forced induction on the car, especially after seeing on youtube a 2L with twin charge, supercharge for down low and a turbo charge up top, on the dyno this 'beast' produced 435HP!! Check this thing out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmqvLUsPyoo&feature=watch_response

However I do wanna keep the car naturally aspirated. My goal with my GTV at the moment is to make the car look standard including the factory gold wheels it has, the only thing that will look unoriginal from the outside will be the lowered stance and the ANSA exhaust at the back. Otherwise look all standard but underneath have upgraded suspension and a tuned engine, create a bit of a sleeper;) beautiful standard as well though. This I have planned for a while, once im prepared and finacially set gunna get some advice from either Bruno or Giancarlo from Maranello Pursang.

But going back this guy I met I was surprised at all these things he was saying too, he goes this cam timing was the big thing, he said something like "I was going to try tinker with the cam timing, so if it worked it would would great but if it didnt motor would have blown on the word go!" so lucky for him all turned out well. I'm sure all alfa mechanics would love to speak to this guy too, wonder if hes in the club...
Next to his car he had all the dyno readings in a picture frame, had many alfetta enthusiasts talking to him that day!
Beautiful car indeed aside the engine, full bare metal restoration, looked brand new.

MD, going to all the extras, do you or anyone know where I can find upgraded lights, preferably xenon lights for the GTV's?
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

MD

Your revised expectations are definitely achievable.You can make better use of the reduced power by lightweight flywheels on the engine and clutch together with a carbon fibre* driveshaft all intended to reduce spinning mass and save horsepower.

Starting with a twin spark engine will get to your target sooner and is more in line with your power expectation starting at 2000rpm due to its variable cam timing.

*Naturally,this will depend on your budget.

Sorry I cannot help with your lighting question but I am certain you will get help from others into that sort of thing on this forum.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hmd

now I know 160-165bhp is relatively easy however I want try get around 170-180bhp

Please tell me, a Group S racer, how to get 160-165 relatively easy

::)

alfagtv58

Quote from: hmd on January 18, 2012, 11:25:43 AM
now I know 160-165bhp is relatively easy however I want try get around 170-180bhp

hmd, writing a number of zeros on a cheque isnt that hard  ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hmd

Quote from: alfagtv58 on January 18, 2012, 11:33:08 AM
Quote from: hmd on January 18, 2012, 11:25:43 AM

hmd, writing a number of zeros on a cheque isnt that hard  ;D

Phil,

I got RSI (repetitive strain injuries).

Storm_X

I personaly like a NA Alfa sound, but im young and us young fellas like our turbo's. After a few of my friends owning high performance turbo cars, i have converted my Nord 2ltr to turbo (still not in car). Power numbers are not going to be high but should be enough to keep a smile on my face.
And if you know what your doing you dont need to spend much.

Beatle

Why would anyone keep an Alfa under 4000rpm?  Maybe if it was a diesel Alfa I guess.....   ;D

Cheap, Reliable, Power?  Pick any two.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

gtv6sv

hmd, in the "how to power tune twin cam alfa romeo engines" manual it explains how get to get 160-165bhp, very good performance manual.

Storm_X know what you mean, I'm 20 myself do love a good turbo charged car, specially in an alfa classic, although I do like to keep things NA, do love the sound of these 2L twin cam engines:) I think a good twin turbo V6 is in the future plans tho;)
maybe in time a turbo 2L my come to life...:)
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark