Great Ocean Road Drive Day! Sat 21 Jan 2012

Started by wankski, January 07, 2012, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wankski

Hi Guys,

So the folks at Ausalfa.com are organising a GOR drive day for Sat 21 Jan 2012 to break in the new year with an epic drive... Please feel free to join in, but if you're coming, please let us know so we can expect you before leaving... it's set to be an early one to beat the traffic (as far as possible!)

Below details/itinerary TBC

7am departure from Shell Servo on Westgate, to beat the traffic to Torquay.

Google Map:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=shell+westgate&hl=en&safe=off&sqi=2&hq=shell+westgate&hnear=Melbourne+Victoria&t=m&vpsrc=0&z=15&iwloc=B

8:30am arrival for a short break and stretch in Torquay.

approx 10am arrival to Apollo Bay. ~half an hour break for the return trip

12pm arrival back into Torquay for lunch.

Approx return to Melbourne 2:30pm...

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Joe

wankski

(reposted from ausalfa)

well, just got back more or less and i'm destroyed!

around 11 people  (i think?) in 8 cars turned up (at different locations, <cough>) and the day started with transit to torquay for brekkie and a much needed coffee to awaken the dead (me).

took us a while to get going, but it was solid drive day, despite catching an ass-hat tourist bus on the run in  who refused to pull into at least 4 'slow traffic' lanes, nonetheless most drivers were curteous and pulled over to let the alfa train, with a conspicuous renault carriage, through!  :wink:

overall GOR was decent, with opportunities to gun it in the twisties, i managed to cook my brakes staying on Iceman's tail, ahh the joys of parts bin cheapie brakes on a v6!! That said the joy was relatively short lived with traffic impeding progress, it was to be expected really with the great sunny weather this weekend.

unfortunately, we lost colin's 33 on the way in, due to some sort of suspension failure and he turned back.

after briefly stopping for a quick lunch at apollo bay, the decision to head inland to winchelsea paid dividends, seeing some hairy driving up in the hills... very nice!

upon our arrival, we called it a day, splitting up and headed our separate ways back home.

All-in-all, a pretty great drive day, which i was in dire need of... the opportunity to get away and do the GOR again was welcome respite from the beginning of a frantic new year.

Catch u all again for the next one!!

bix

Sorry I missed it. A 2 & 4 year old in the back would have been torturous!

gtv6sv

been in apollo bay past few days, just got yesterday, excellent drive, very comfortable in the luxury and power of the 164 Q  :D
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

Paul Gulliver

QuoteSorry I missed it. A 2 & 4 year old in the back would have been torturous!

Not to mention the potential for a " damp burp" in the back of the Alfa on the way home.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

L4OMEO

Not to mention the potential for a " damp burp" in the back of the Alfa on the way home.
[/quote]

;D

Called a '3-dimensional cough' in our household!
2002 156 GTA