Out & About

Started by David Mills, December 18, 2011, 03:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Mills

Well, here's something I never knew about before!.  Spotted at the roadside today.

Despite the Alfa badges front & back and on the steering wheel, the reg sticker identifies it as a 1984 Marlin Roadster.  A quick web search reveals it to be an English kit car based on Morris Marina components.  There were models called Berlinetta, Romero, Julietta and Mille Miglia amongst others!

I don't want one.

Darryl

My mum had a Marina - awful car. So as a basis for a kit excellent I guess - PO would probably pay you to take it away, and anything you could do to it/turn it into could only be an improvement  ;D

colcol

Why worry about it having Morris Marina parts?, the front had proven torsion bars and lever type shock absorbers and the back had a solid rear axle with leaf springs, all off a 1950's Morris Major, i would be more concerned about a piano dropping on to it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I beleive most of the clubmans in the early days had Triumph Herald running gear, later on they used better engines 4valve heads, twin cams and injection from various makers, but they still used Triumph Hearald generic suspension replacement parts, which kind of means Triumph got it pretty right with the Herald, as for the Morris Marina parts, why would you?, maybe because they were still making it in 84, but they changed the name Marina to Morris Ital, but still a turd by any name, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: colcol on December 25, 2011, 11:16:45 AM
which kind of means Triumph got it pretty right with the Herald

Maybe for the front, but the rear was notoriously bad, I'd be surprised if any kit-car used that. 

colcol

Nothing wrong with swing axles, thousands of [dead] beetle owners can't be wrong, seriously, i don't know what suspension most clubmans used at the back, hopefully not a live axle with leaf springs of a Morris Major \ Marina \ Ital, Colin.

David Mills

The car pictured had a live axle with leaf springs!  I don't know what a Marina front end looks like but the one on the car included torsion bars and smallish telescopic shocks.

Paul Gulliver

Great shot of the Truimph Sheldon . About 30 years ago I remember a mates of mines mum's Truimph looking just like that moments before he parked it on its roof on the way home from the Portsea pub. We put it back on its wheels drove it home and hoped she wouldn't notice.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

colcol

Morris Marina's had front torsion bars, and there is nothing wrong with that, but instead of telescopic shock absorbers they had lever arm type, you know the type that work as door closers, Holden used them on the 48-215, but replaced them to telescopic type in 1953, Colin.

David Mills

According to Wikipedia (risky source, I know) "More comprehensive suspension changes were made with the introduction in 1975 of the Mark 2; anti-roll bars were fitted which calmed the earlier car's wayward tendencies, but even as late as 1982, the Ital changed its Marina-derived front lever arm shock absorbers for telescopic shock absorbers."

colcol

I know i am wandering of the original subject, but  when Ital restyled the Marina it went from Horrible looking to something quite good looking, like an Audi, but what would you expect from an Italian styled car something horrible looking, like the original Marina, Colin.

Sheldon McIntosh

Here you go Col, I couldn't believe it when I came upon this sight at a 'Transport Museum' in NZ.  It was more like a musuem of mediocrity.  Looks like they parked it in the right place though, underneath the fire extinguishers.

colcol

Should have been parked under a decending piano, Colin.

aggie57

When I left Uni in Auckland I worked for a car dealer for 6 months cleaning and prepping new cars.  They were a BL and Honda dealer.  I remember Austin Allegro's and the very first 2-door (not hatchback) Honda Civic's. 

What a contrast - the Allegro's were just horrible cars and always had bits falling off them.  The Civic's were basic with rubber mats, really thin doors and little equipment but just worked and an absolute hoot to drive.  I imagine we had Marina's as well given they were current models then (late seventies) but quite frankly I don't remember them.  Guess that says it all.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list