oil pressure

Started by mickl, December 08, 2011, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickl

Just taken delivery of the new oil pressure sender and oil pressure light sender for installation on the Rt side of the block where the old malfunctioning oil pressure sender is located.
I am having alot of trouble removing the old sender as it is fairly close to the firewall and needs an open ended 14mm  (is that right?) spanner to unscrew it. There is a little play between the nut on the sender and the open spanner head which pretty well uses up all of the available space for turning the spanner. It seems like a small version of an oil filter wrench is needed which could grip the body of the old sender but??????....or maybe a ratchet on the open end of the spanner rather than on the ring end which of course cannot get onto the nut??
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the old sender ?
Thanks
Mickl

colcol

I have been in the same trouble as you at one stage, try using some multigrips on the old sender or buy a oil filter strap wrench, which is a strap for removing various diameter oil filters, or go to Bunnings or weekend markets and buy a rubbish cheap 14mm or 9/16 spanner and cut it down, [don't want to cut up a good spanner], another thing you could do is put a feeler gauge between the sender and the spanner to take up any slack, which would mean you could turn the spanner a bit more before hitting the firewall, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Colin Byrne

Have you tried coming at it from the other side, behind the starter motor? with the air filter unclipped you should be able to pass your right arm down to reach it from that side.

If you still can't get to it you can always pull the carbies off, trust me its not as bad as it sounds
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

mickl

Thanks for the ideas gents, this forum is a great collection of knowledge. I decided to cut up a 14mm spanner to shorten the shaft which gave more opportunity to lock on to the nut and turn it. The nut came undone and I was going to install the T piece into the block when i noticed its thread was not cut correctly, so it`s back to the auto shop on monday to return it and order a new one.
Regards
Mickl

colcol

And in the past i have purchased 2 cheap spanners with the offset of the open end at different angles, so each different spanner can get you another 5 degrees movement, once had to cut up a favourite old Sidchrome, nearly cried, had it since i was an apprentice, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

mickl

thought I`d post a couple of shots of the new senders for oil pressure and oil warning light.
The first picture shows the blanked off hole in the left side of the block where the oil waning sender should be, but which was removed by a previous owner.
The second shows the unassembled senders and the T piece used as well as the orig pressure sender
The third shows them assembled in the only possible configuration (because of space)
The fourth shows them installed.
There is no fifth which might have shown me smiling now that everything seems to be working correctly!
Mickl