advice please

Started by Louise, April 13, 2006, 08:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louise

Hi there, Im new to the Alfa Romeo world and am just after a little advice. I am looking to buy a 156 TJs 2002 (75,000km) and have just been warned that it had its engine rebuilt at 10,000kms. Is this a common problem with this model? And is it likely to occur again in the coming kilometers?
Any advice would be helpful thanks  :)

Fast Eddie

Where do you reside Louise?  If you cant drop in to have a chat him, give Damon Earwaker, Service Manager @ Lance Dixon Alfa Doncaster a call and seek his opinion.  would help if you had the rego or some car details and where it is for sale at as he may know personally of it anyway and may be able to tell you some history.

Damon is a busy boy but i am sure he would give some free advice.

It would be interesting to know the reason why it had a rebuild as this isnt a common thing one would think form a new car and at 10,000k's was probably still well under warranty. The 156 range is overall a pretty good car and lots of members have them or have had them, me included.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Evan Bottcher

Hi Louise,

I'd echo Ed's comment that I haven't heard of many (any) rebuilds at that sort of age, so I don't think it's indicative of the model or engine.  If you find out which of the dealers rebuilt the engine this might be useful - especially if you want to contact Damon or that dealer to find out more information about what went wrong.  If you are buying privately you might consider getting the car inspected before you put down your cash - any of the dealers should do this job for you.

My 2000 156 twin spark is approaching 70,000km with nothing more than regular servicing, does not burn any oil or play up in any way.  I believe these engines last very well as long as they are regularly serviced and kept topped up with good engine oil.  In fact the JTS motor which would be in the 2002 car is meant to be a big improvement over the earlier twin spark in my car...

I would look to get a couple of grand off the purchase price given the slight 'blip' in the cars history at least.  If the full service history has been followed since I would then simply enjoy driving the car and not worry about its history.

Welcome to the Alfa world - don't forget to join the club :-)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Louise

Thanks for the advice, it was rebuilt due to the Timing Belt breaking. I will give Lance Dixon in Doncaster a call and try to speak to Damon. Im really looking froward to buying the car, but want to be sure that Im not getting a lemon. The asking price is only $14,500 (off lease) and I just wanted to be sure the rebuild wont be a problem down the track. Thanks again Louise.

Fast Eddie

any news Louise?

are you the new proud owner of a 156?
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S