New 90 Owner

Started by Beeno, October 19, 2007, 04:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeno

Hi all, have just come into possession of a 90 and thought i would sign up to the group.

My 90 does need work and a search of the net doen't come up with all that much useful stuff for me at the moment, so was hoping people here could point me towards some good 90 resources.
Particularly looking for a service manual. Engine is leaking oil and the electrics look absolutley abymisal.  Body is complete and perfectly straight with no rust so will make a good project car.

Cheers
Beeno

Doug Gould

Beeno

Welcolme. My tips would be: ebay, Ian Slate at Turin Imports in Adelaide & Hugh Harrisson at Monza Motors / Alfpa Repair in Bayswater. But all the guys that are listed as suppliers on the homepage and advertise in the magazine are good guys. Pitstop books in Perth or ebay are probably the best shot for the manual. Start with one that is convenient and see how you go.

Doug Gould
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Sheldon McIntosh

G'day Beeno, welcome to the forum, and nice choice of car.

I'm on my third 90, and my first tip would be JOIN THE CLUB.  I learnt more in my first month of membership than in the year beforehand trying to work on the car and research on the net.

My second tip would be, read through this forum thoroughly, this is the third time in two weeks I'm about to post this information.....

You won't find a service manual.  The only one available is the 15(or so) volume they sent to Alfa dealers at the time.  You'll be very lucky to find one of those.  That said, occasionally a CD-ROM pops up on Ebay.  There is a part manual at this website:- http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7709/manual.html    There's also other good information on the 90 if you navigate through the site.

there is a very good 75 manual here:-   http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/   there are a lot of similarities between the 75 and 90, so what you can't find on the 90, you may find something useful in the 75 manual.

I have a few spare parts lying around, especially since I've started stripping one of them for trackwork, let me know if you need anything, or any information.  I had to do a bit of electrical work on mine too to get it roadworthy, I know how it is.  I'm guessing the indicator stalk doesn't stay on and/or self-cancel and the headlining sags a bit?

Where did you buy the 90 from by the way?  Any pics?

Good luck with it
Sheldon

Beeno

Hi Sheldon.

Thanks for the info. From my quick hunt around the net, I figured that getting a manual may prove interesting as nothing popped out.  Posted mainly as an into and hopefully get some points in the right direction. 

Was intending to join a club. Just not sure which one, vic or nsw as i'm in Canberra. both are just as in accesable as each other! Any recommendations?

Pick up the 90 from a farm in Bungendore in NSW just outside the ACT. Best thing it was the right price, yes that right got it for FREE!  ;D.  Has about 40K on it.  It belonged to the guys father who bought it new. When he couldn't drive any more it sat in the house paddock for about 5 years.   When we picked it up, i put some juice into it, fitted a battery, started it up and drove it onto a car trailer. Was pretty impressed.

Interior lining isn't sagged at all and as far as i can remember the indicator stalk/ self cancel is fine, does need a good clear up inside.  Rear brakes bind, and it leaks oil like a sive but i'm looking forward getting stuck into it. From what i read these things are a undiscovered gem that go like the clappers.   Unfortunately no pickies yet as my camera went on holiday to QLD and has yet to return. When it does i'll post some.

Cheers
Ben R

Sheldon McIntosh

That sounds like a great find, well done!

40k, one owner!  Now THAT's a barnfind.

Would probably be the last 90 in the world with a history like that.

Scott Farquharson

Sheldon, you have your own little cult - you are "the leader"
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

The brainwashing has already started.  I'm planning on bringing all of my disciples down to Phillip Island in December, and all the 90s are going to suicide by 'accidentally' understeering wide into the side of any red Group S GTVs out there.  Preferably at turn one.

They have all been instructed carefully.  Only RED ones........

Scott Farquharson

Don't drink the punch...
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on October 24, 2007, 12:57:37 AM
They have all been instructed carefully.  Only RED ones........

Hey.....dont bring me into this ;D

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

"The 90 Familiy" (with apologies to Charles Manson) or "The 90 Leader" (with apologies to the Simpsons)
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Kyalami

Hi Beeno

Ex 90 owner here, sold it in 2002/3. Changed to a 164 - some say a backwards step. Really liked the 90.
Hope you are enjoying yours.
I do have an original 90 manual - they never contained the full engine section, just the ancilliaries. Gear box not in it either. The sections it has are:- 00 Complete car, 40 Electrical System, 43 Cluster and Electronic Instruments, 49 Body, 55 Doors, 56 Hoods, 66 Internal Trimming, 75 External Trimming, 80 Heater.
I am in Melbourne, let me know if you are interested

Robert
Previous  1985 Alfa 90
Current    1991 Alfa 194L