WTB: Giulia GT/GTV stepnose

Started by DaveT, November 11, 2011, 01:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - Good purchase Dave !!! - I was wondering when it would surface, I almost went to check it out.  ;D

Welcome to the club.

Davidm1600

Pictures, we want pictures Dave as to what you have been able to liberate  ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

off

is it from SA? looked ok in the pics - is it?.

DaveT

Yes it was the 67 Giulia Sprint GTV in Goolwa SA.

10 hour drive there and back to view a car I hadn't seen a photo of and knew very little about...hmmm, is this normal Alfisti behaviour?

Here's an abridged version of events (better photos to come):

I spied the ad in gumtree on the evening of Friday March 2nd and was on the road at 8am Sunday wondering what the hell I was doing.

Arrived in Goolwa SA at 6pm completely knackered after having numerous tailgating incidences on the Dukes (of Hazard) Highway, seems anything goes as soon as you're over the border.

Took poor little Bertie (yes I've already given it a cutesy name) for a painful test drive involving seized brakes, 3 cylinders and a 40kph top speed.

Made an offer on the car which was turned down. Spent a windy and rainy night in a tent in a paddock with the worlds biggest hunstman.

In the morning helped John the owner take Bertie to 'Jimbo' who flushed the brakes and chuckled a lot.

Rode my bike to Hinchinbrook Island and Victor Harbour, got caught in the rain on the way back, met John at Jimbo's and drove Bertie back for a slightly less harrowing second test drive.

Made a second offer, refused.

Went to the pub with John and had a lovely evening not talking about the Alfa (apart from when I snuck out the door to speak to Phil Nash and ask him what the hell I was doing).

Woke up the next day, packed up everything and found the huntsman was now a hitchhiker.

Drove through 60k of roadworks at between 25 and 40kph, gnawing through the clio's steering wheel.

Clipped a stick at 110kph which flicked up and dented the side of the Clio's door.

Had a heart attack every time I opened the fuel filler flap...the favourite hidey spot for my hairy hitchhiker.

Got home completely frazzled by the whole experience.

Spent the next week uming and ahing... I'm very good at this.

Saw that it was now advertised with photos on the SA club site and started panicking... I'm good at this too.

Spoke to John again who asked if could send the photos I'd taken to other interested parties...umm, no!

We chatted some more, then some more the next day and finally a deal was struck.

Until the thing arrives, hopefully intact, it hasn't sunk in that I've actually bought one...it's only taken 20 odd years.

I have the completely unlikely idea that I'll try and get it on the road in time to take it up to Auto Italia...will know more on its chances tomorrow.

Dave

DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

pancho

Well done Dave!!

You're lucky as I almost bought this over the phone sight unseen to replace my project shell! - but I never got photos, no wonder!  :D

ItalCarGuy

Good stuff Dave! There were lots of people tempted by this one. Looking forward to the better pics. I can email you any of the literature you want for this model. Did you send of the chassis number to the Alfa Archives? I'd be interested to see when it was made. I'm starting to keep track of all the RHD stepfront GTVs.

EZEE

Hi

congratulations great find, great story - like everyone else would love more photos and details.

Can relate to the call to Phil N, I have done the same on a few occasions. Great guy.

About to embark on a restoration on one of these so more information shared the better.

Oh and yes, all alfisiti are like this.... ;D

Emmanuel

UNICO

So Dave did it arrive this morning??

DaveT

Bertie arrived this morning at 6.45am...a coughing, farting, recalcitrant old codger, 1100 odd kg (plus bog)

I swore I wasn't going to fiddle with him today...but then I thought I'll just give him a quick wash, then I thought how about a vacuum.

Then I thought I'll just get the toolbox out...

Before I knew it I had a growing list of things to get it roadworthy. These are the things I've discovered so far:

- Needs a new windscreen
- Tie rod end boot
- Headlights, instrument lights, reverse light and number plate lights and interior lights all not working (have twirled all fuses and cleaned connections)
- Engine oil leak(s), not dripping, but wet, hard to tell where it's coming from but I think mainly back of engine and sump gasket
- Brakes have been flushed and aren't seizing anymore but one caliper is missing a mounting bolt and I haven't had the wheels off to check the pads and discs, so might be some work there
- Drivers door doesn't lock
- Alternator not charging...looks like it might just need a new fan belt, have adjusted the current one, but appears to be out of adjustment
- And of course it's running like crap, on 3 cylinders and not happy. After reading the recent thread on ram tubes I think this may be due to the dirty oily socks... too much fuel... not enough air... fouling the plugs?

I think I'm going to whip the socks off, clean the spark plugs and see how she goes. But then I have to come up with another filter arrangement quick smart. I have parts of the original system but missing all the hoses and the connection from the filter to the plenum.

So what are peoples thoughts, I have a week and half to get him roadworthy for Canberra, can it be done?

I like to fiddle, and the plan was I would do all the fiddlin', as and when I required, taking my time, doing bits here and there, with the plan to get him on the road without doing a full restoration. But now with the 105 50th anniversary at Auto Italia a possibility, I'm getting all wobbly at the knees at the thought of seeing him up there amongst his brethren.

A quick run down on a few of Bertie's faux pas:
- Currently running a 1750 engine and diff and wheels, but apparently original 1600 gearbox (might be able to get hold of the original engine and wheels from Adelaide)
- Currently running a 2ltr console...oooh dear...some yucky black vinyl over the dash and a clock...who the hell cares what the time is in a 60's sports car?
- Crappy grey carpets
- Bertie appears generally rust free and straight, but he has had a repair to the petrol tank surround and has let his waistline go with some filler, doesn't appear anything serious but he could do with a nip and tuck here and there
- He's also showing some crows feet on the front guards and has been painted in Holden 'Alpine White', oh the humanity, next they'll be building engines for us...

Thanks all for the kind words.

Derek thanks yes I will get on to the archives, although I remember last time I asked it took about 3 months.

Pancho, I too was about to buy it sight unseen...but then I remember promising myself a few years back that I would never buy a car without seeing it. Glad I held it. Let me just say, the ad wording was a little 'optimistic', it's not a bad car but it does need a tincy wincy bit more work than just an interior refurb to be a concourse car.

You asked for pics...

92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi Dave,
It looks GREAT! Well done! You write a great story. Now that I am editor, I would really like to have an article in the club magazine about your adventures. Your words are passionate, funny and down right scary! Give me a call so we can tee-up a time for me jot some notes down! Welcome to the rarified atmosphere of 1600 GTV ownership. They are a great car!
Best Regards
Phil
PS Marco Fazio will generally turnaround build information requests in 48 hours.
PPS Pancho, how about we three get together for a run and cup of coffee in the 1600s? Emmanuel, you are always invited if you are in Melbourne!

pancho

I'm there - but only if Dave brings Bertie  ;D

Do you think you can bring yours Phil?

I'm merely a GTV bystander at the moment.

EZEE

Hi Guys,

well done Dave thanks for the photos. The faux pas? - it doesn't diminish the enjoyment or the look or the excitement, you can always attend to them as you see fit. It is an old Alfa after all.

I have had real quick turnaround from Marco as well though as I pointed out in a previous post sometimes the numbers don't appear to be there at their end but the cars exist. I have had more than person who is more of an authority than I confirm this....worth doing first though.

Oh and you probably know but never rely on the official paperwork for the numbers, always check as you have done here in your photo - amazing how many have been wrong and for many years......

cheers

Emmanuel

Hey Phil I am thinking I should just keep a car in Melbourne for just such occasions!.......

massiveluvbuddy67

This one just appeared today, but liklely under false pretenses!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/alfa-romeo-giulia-1967-12383816?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&page=1&sort=~Year&cr=1&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294967249 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5

Hi Emmanuel,
Great photos from Germany! We must chat too. I sense a good story or two from you. By the way, you don't need to keep a car here in Melbourne, I will have one for you to drive around in. (I added you to my insurance policy for all of the old ones when you came down for Spettacolo last year). I have not been able to meet the white one but look forward to reacquainting when up in NSW soon. For the white car, a tip to remember the gear you are in that worked well for me - say it out loud as you shift, otherwise you forget if you are in 2,3 or 4. It really works!  ;)
Best Regards
Phil

DaveT

Sounds good Phil, both the article and the catch up...although Pancho I'm not sure yet when Bertie will be on the road...I think I'm getting a bit excited, the likelihood he'll be on the road in time for Canberra is probably very slim.

First thing tomorrow I'll try and get an unregistered vehicle permit and ring Maranello Pursang see if I can book in for a RWC and an estimate of costs/time...as long as work doesn't ruin the fun.

Who's this Marco chap and how do I get hold of him?

Dave

92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

DaveT

Wasn't that 1300 for sale last year? And why does it have Giulia Sprint GT and Veloce badging?

Also, anyone know what happened to the one at the Healey Factory, assume it sold...who's the lucky man/woman/investment group?

92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe