Alfa 33 Thermostat

Started by omgShane, July 21, 2012, 06:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omgShane

Hey guys, so trying to fix my 33s cooling problem, up next is the thermostat, just wondering what everyones opionion is on this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-33-FWD-1-7L-4-Cyl-8v-SOHC-EFI-1984-1988-Stant-Thermostat-/280834807337?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41630f1629#ht_2777wt_914

or if you could reccomend me a good thermostat for the 33, its a 1.7 twin carb BTW

Thanks!
Shane

colcol

Hey Shane, before you buy another thermostat, take it out and check it, put it in some hot water with a cooking thermometer and see when it starts to open, obviously if its open, when you take it out, then its faulty, on my 33 thermostat, it starts to open at 82c, as stamped on it, there are 2 types for the boxer motor, thermostat on its own with a seperate housing and the housing with the thermostat built in, make sure you get the right one, therefor you will have to pull the old one out, to see what yours is, the STANT thermostat mentioned i have never heard of, but it looks quite good, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

omgShane

thanks col, ill be going draining the system and going right through it in the morning, will def be checking out to make sure its working.

Cheers for the advice

Shane

colcol

And another good thing [there are many]  about that beut little boxer motor is that the block has TWO drain plugs for the coolant, one for each side of the bank, the drain plugs are the lowest point on the engine, but watch out when you take the drain bolts out, you usually get splashed, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]