2012 VRA East Coast Challenge

Started by alfagtv58, October 21, 2011, 09:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Hot off the press.....From the VRA mailbox....

Tony Harriott (Mother) (amongst others) has been working behind the scenes and has secured our date for the EAST COAST CHALLENGE for 2012.

The meeting will be at Winton Motor  Raceway (Benalla, Victoria) on September 29/30 2012. We will be on our preferred SHORT CIRCUIT.

This is HUGE news as bringing the show to Victoria will undoubtedly encourage our Mexican mates to show us Cockroaches and Cane Toads how it is done on home soil!! It will also give plenty for us from both Queensland and NSW the opportunity (or excuse) we need to go to Winton for the first time.Save the date it's going to be HUGE!
Well done to Tony "Mother" Harriott for all the background efforts.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

So there you go.  Lets make it a big one and fill it to grid capacity!  Even better, lets get so many entries we need to split the field!!  I for one cant wait  ;D

For the benefit of those not familiar with the VRA regs, they are attached.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like advice or assistance in getting you and your car eligible and prepped for this event.

I can vouch that these ECC's are a cracker of a weekend, on and off the track.
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hammer

Great news Phil and excellent work by you, Tony, Bill and the crew to lock this in. Several canetoads hopping mad with excitement up here in the swamplands.

Cheers,

Brent

Evan Bottcher

This is very exciting indeed!.  Definitely very keen to enter, even if the Sud will be a tail marker.  This should definitely stir up some Victorians to get out there.

Can someone confirm - what are the requirements/procedure to get a AASA race license?

thanks,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

For AASA licence and vehicle passport see link below

http://australianautosportalliance.com/aasa/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=45

Licence will require a medical, fill in a form and $100
Vehicle passport will require filling in a form & $30

Hope this helps.
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

Nice.  So I have another question - might as well ask it here in case someone else is wondering.  Our car is prepared for club sprints, so not to any CAMS category (e.g. improved production).  The AASA vehicle passport doesn't seem to require a classification beyond "sedan" or "production".

So should I prepare the car to meet a CAMS classification, or ask the VRA chaps to accept the car as is?

(worth noting: the car aint no sports sedan, and isn't going to be at risk of being competitive, I just want to have a go)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfa duk

Judging what has happened previously, there has been 2 classes. The cams legal cars and the run what u bring category. The canetoads were able to get a race for each class but this will all depend on numbers. When it gets closer to the time it will become clear what the format will be but if you have an alfa , you will be in the mix somewhere. We had 30+ at one ECC, whats the grid capacity at winton?
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

alfagtv58

Pretty sure the grid capacity on the short circuit is 36.  That would be busy, very busy.  A good problem to have if we can muster that many, like Duk says, we could potentially run two grids, it would be nice to have a couple of grids of 20 to 25+ cars.....maybe 3 races each + a butchers picnic on Sunday afternoon, but as VRA or AROCA are not the promotors of this event, we would be at their mercy if any of this was even possible.  But lets not get ahead of ourselves, we need to get one decent field first! Cross that bridge when we get there.

Evan, if you intend running the Sud in a CAMS racing event, you can head towards that spec, but for the AASA passport you do not need to, just get it done as it is.

Note the tyre specs in the VRA regs.  Basically you need to be running on radials, not slicks.
2009 159 JTS Ti

hmd

running long track we can have bigger grid?

Neil Choi

Posted into another thread but thought to revive this to let everyone know.

=====================================================

Some VRA notices to get some revved up, especially for September.

Those Victorians with suitable Alfa's and there are many, might want to get gear up.

======================================================

ARDC Sports Car Meeting Eastern Creek May 19-20

As in previous years, there will be all-Alfa races, providing we have enough entrants (if not, we will share grids with the MX-5's). Group S is on the card as well, providing enough track time to make both you and your Alfa need a rest, if you wish to double enter.

Note that this is a CAMS sanctioned event - a CAMS competition circuit licence and vehicle logbook are required.

East Coast Challenge Winton Short September 29-30

For the first time, our Victorian bretheren will be hosting the East Coast Challenge, and if their hospitality at Alfa Island and the Winton 6 Hour is anything to judge by, this will be THE event of the year. At the recent Phillip Island Historics, the Victorians provided eight of the eighteen Group S and Group N Alfas, and a further ten Alfas in Regularity rounded out the entry. The potential is there for a great meeting - be there!

Note that this is an AASA sanctioned event - either AASA or CAMS documentation will be accepted.

Enforcer

G'day boys, looks like there will be plenty of interest in this one, it should be great..

Just to clear a couple of things up.

We are tagging onto a Truck meeting so it's on the short circuit. We particularly wanted this because it promotes close racing, which is what VRA is all about. We will not be changing to the long circuit.

The event is open to cars that comply with VRA regs at the moment, but we are seeing if there is an option for cars that do not and cannot be made to comply to run separately. I know Phil has posted the regs but basically what it boils down to is the cars need to either be Group S or N or look like one. In other words, no wings, slicks, turbo, V6's in 105's etc. 60 profile race radials are mandatory. These regs are well proven and promote close, fair racing while keeping the costs down.

Regds

Bill
73 Nc 2000 GTV
77 GTV Race
76 Gp C A'Delta GTAm 3 x HF 1000
68 GTV
76 GTAm
12 Giulietta QV Race
74 2L Berlina A
75 GTV
75 Spider
85 GTV6
89/75 TS x 3
70 Fairlane
72 Lotus Europa
74 F350 Pano
76 HX S'man
80 Volvo 240 Rally
12 159 Q4
2020 Stelvio (Hers)
2019 Colorado (Mulo)
07 Iveco transporter

Neil Choi

Here are the VRA Racing Regulations as a guide line to how your Alfa needs to be presented.

Any questions should be directed to Bill.

Neil

Enforcer

We have spoken to Winton and "Super TT" are on the card with us. They will accept any Alfa as an entry so long as it has a roof. So anyone who has a car that does not comply to VRA Regs but wants to come along and enjoy the weekend should enter this category. If there enough Alfa's then it will resemble another Alfa grid! They will alos accept a double entry from VRA cars for a fee in the $70-$90 range.

Regds

Bill
73 Nc 2000 GTV
77 GTV Race
76 Gp C A'Delta GTAm 3 x HF 1000
68 GTV
76 GTAm
12 Giulietta QV Race
74 2L Berlina A
75 GTV
75 Spider
85 GTV6
89/75 TS x 3
70 Fairlane
72 Lotus Europa
74 F350 Pano
76 HX S'man
80 Volvo 240 Rally
12 159 Q4
2020 Stelvio (Hers)
2019 Colorado (Mulo)
07 Iveco transporter

Stephen Smith

Bill,
has asked me to reply to any sticky questions re VRA eligibility. So any one thinking of coming to Winton with a car that is not Group  S or N or some combination of these should make contact and we can sort something out (or not). Basically as Neil and Bill have indicated R rated tyres om the Group N or S list, 60 series on up to 15 x 7 wheels.  Marque Sports cars (generally Group 2E) are OK provided tyre and wheel rules are adhered to. As an example the duc has a V6 on the right tyre combination as do several others (three from NSW at last count). If it helps I am happy to discuss on phone - my number is on AROCA NSW website

Steve 2Up

alfa duk

For those that are wondering, the duc? or Duk runs a 14 x 6
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s