refurbishing GTV6 plastic bumpers

Started by Fast Eddie, July 08, 2011, 03:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Eddie

been a looong time since i have put up a post so i apologise if i go over old ground with this one but until a few days ago, a GTV6 wasnt really on my radar.

Now it (GTV6 ownership) just may be a possibility in the short term future, but i know the potential car has the usual faded and heat warped bumbers that most GTv6 appear to suffer from.

Any simple tricks on how to refurbish them - colour wise and straightening, without costing an arm and a leg, cos as is always the way with me - it will need to be done on the cheap.

And can you still get Koni yellows for a GTV6 'off the shelf' these days (1986)?

Ohh, and can you fit a baby capsule (legally) into a GTV6 rear seat?  Are there proper 'tie-down' point/s in a GTV6?

Other than the occassional club run trip with sproggo in the car and the even less often track-day, it (GTV6) may become my daily drive.

Ed
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

aggie57

Hi Ed,

Good to hear from you.  Someone recently posted sopme pictures of his GTV6 that he was preparing for rallying and it had what looked like some immaculate bumpers which he said were reconditioned ones that came from Marc at Milano Spares.  Could be worth giving him a call on (03) 9462 2138.

On the baby capsule, there should be a bracket above and behind the rear backrest that you can bolt seat mount into.  Does that work for a capsule as well as a baby seat?  If the car hasn't got them you should be able to find a couple easily enough from the regular sources.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

This is great news Ed - I thought for a moment that you were going to be Alfa-less!

I see EB Spares has Bilsteins for a reasonable price: http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa75/suspension.cfm - but I don't know much about shocks really.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

bteoh

Hey Ed,

Let me know if you want to get the bumpers done. I know a company in Welshpool that does them and I have done them for my GTV6's a few years ago. I think they were about $350 each if my memory serves me well. They straighten them and prime them but you may need to get them painted to minimise exposure to UV rays as they can warp again as one of mine has - I didn't get them painted with uv protection paint :(

Anyway, let me know if you need any assistance.

Cheers,
Brian

Fast Eddie

On the baby capsule, there should be a bracket above and behind the rear backrest that you can bolt seat mount into.  Does that work for a capsule as well as a baby seat?  If the car hasn't got them you should be able to find a couple easily enough from the regular sources.
[/quote]

if the bolt or bolt hole is there i can buy the right adaptor to suit for that.  thanks.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Fast Eddie

Been a good repeat customer of Marc's for some time, especially when back in Melbourne.  Thanks for the offer Brian and i will contact you for a chat if i get this car.  I did say "on the cheap" though when i posted my enquiry :)  i'd have to hide that expense :-X

If and it is still very much an 'if' i get this car it will need to prioritise a full service first then i may need to look at some rust repairs to prevent any further deterioration before i start on the cosmetics and drivability although it might become the daily driver so that will be important too.

I may well still be Alfa-less Evan for at least a few weeks to maybe a few years!

But i only have had 9 in the past and current so need one more to round that figure off.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

aggie57

Quote from: Fast Eddie on July 09, 2011, 12:57:03 PM

if the bolt or bolt hole is there i can buy the right adaptor to suit for that.  thanks.
[/quote]

Assuming we're talkin about the same thing.....the bracket has a standard kiddy seat thread Ed.  If the bracket isn't there you'll need to get the genuine one as it screws into two threads in the rear bulkhead and is braced to provide some strength. Once you get the car it'll be obvious.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Darryl

The only obvious things I've seen are not std kid seat mounting thread but looked plenty strong to me - I might have used them... However, if I did, I also had to remove the rear seat back to be able to fit the baby capsule in... Probably not entirely compliant with regs... Maybe baby capsules have "shrunk" since then? Baby seat otoh was no problem to fit (other than the thread issue...).

shane wescott

Yes you can fit the baby seat in a GTV6.

My Lovely grand daughter had some of her first rides in a car in the back of the Beast.. There are bolt holes, you just screw the appropraite bracket which comes with the seat and of you and the little one go :-)

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Fast Eddie

Excellent,
no further progress on the potential purchase as yet but both parties are in no rush.  However, I have now been without an 80's or older Alfa for about 9 months and it is starting to pain me.  No where to put it but that isnt an uncommon issue for Alfisti.

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Rigi

Re the Yellow Konis .. think you will find they are available .. not sure of your local outlet but the part numbers are 80-2570sport for the front and 80-2571sport for the rear - these suit the 1985 onwards 116 GTV
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

tpalfa

In regards to the baby capsule mounting points...

In 1990 baby mounting points were installed in my GTV6. For years and years I've had fuel tank issues and never could understand why. Recently I pulled the tank out and noticed that the bolts that were used to mount the baby brackets were too long and had crushed/bent the fuel tank causing it to sit badly and wear a hole through the bottom.

Certainly poor design having the bolt holes just above the fuel tank - sort of like the sunroof drain tubes in the A-pillar which get perforated and then blocked by the screws which keep the plastic trim on. But really wouldn't the amount of force required and the sound of metal against metal as the tank was being bent be a clue to the "mechanic" who installed the mounts?

Anyway watch out for your fuel tank when installing baby brackets!

Fast Eddie

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on July 08, 2011, 06:20:26 PM
This is great news Ed - I thought for a moment that you were going to be Alfa-less!

I see EB Spares has Bilsteins for a reasonable price: http://www.ebspares.co.uk/alfa75/suspension.cfm - but I don't know much about shocks really.

cheers,
Evan.

Still Alfa-less since my 07 166 Ti went to Dad, but maybe something might happen with this target car shortly, fingers crossed.  Then i can change my avatar.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.