Where to get strut bearings?

Started by Fetta GTV, November 11, 2011, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetta GTV

Hi All

I need a set of Strut Bearings for the sprint, the needle roller bearing type.
Does anyone have a contact where they have got some, cannot seem to track any down.
Also need strut boots and steering rack boots.

Cheers
DAvid
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

colcol

Try a bearing supply place, Peter Webb in England, Sudsonline, [at the bottom of the Alfasud ebay site], i have seen them on a Alfa ebay site in England or Italy, if i remember right they are made by Torrington bearings, Repco sell generic boot kits, see if they fit, but type 'Alfa Romeo steering' in ebay, and you should find something, i did, and the only problem i had, some wouldn't send to Australia, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

Thanks Colin
Peter at sudsonline has been very helpful, but only has the newer type of bearing.
We thought that being that mine sprint is a 1986 model it would have the newer type bearing.
For some reason mine has the needle roller bearing and we cannot track any down.
I have attached some pics of my strut, is it possible to modify to use the newer bearing?
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

Before you modify, try some bearing supply places, and i mean not one or two, but try lots, as i always find someone with old stock, or try the bearing maker directly, i think mine were Torrington, made in England, Peter Webb is good, he always trys to help me out, bad luck there are no Peter Webbs in Australia that i know of, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I wonder if you could find out the maker of the bearing and part number, and go to their website and download a catalogue of bearings, i have done this in the past for thermostats, belts, steering components, etc, might be worth a try, Colin.

Ray Pignataro

once again Frank Musco will have something

Fetta GTV

Thanks Ray and Colin
Still looking, have PM'd Frank
1979 Alfetta GTV

Frank Musco

I've found these bearings difficult to find. The 2nd hand ones are always corroded. Once the strut boot cracks, water and grit get to the top of the bearing and are kept in by the bottom seal. Eventually they rust solid, or the cage corrodes and the rollers fall out or square off and no more rolling.

More than 10 years ago I found some bearings from Consolidated Bearing Company. They were very close to the original bearing and I had success. So I'd ring a bearing place like Colin suggests, and probably find something closer now.

Good luck...Frank

Thanks Ray.

Ray Pignataro

Its ok Frank your still my hero lol