Sud Clutch

Started by Sportscar Nut, September 24, 2011, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportscar Nut

Hi all

The pressure plate in my Sud has just collapsed (which is rather rare after only 12K??) so need new clutch kit - car has 1.7lt 8 valve motor. Thinking of fitting the standard Sachs or Veleo :'( but would be keen to fit a stronger one if I can find?

Apparently the 33 16 valve factory clutches were slightly thicker and hence stronger than all pre boxer cars but are rare to find (??). Does anyone have any suggestions - perhaps some club boxer racers. Would appreciate any feedback.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Paul

colcol

Hello Paul, i reckon about the strongest part of a Alfasud or 33 is the clutches, i have never had a failure or worn one out, so you having a failure is a surprise, i replaced the clutch in my 33 last week, and upon looking up ebays and websites, the listings were the same for 1.5 and 1.7's, for Sachs and Valeo's, thats not to say no one makes them, i have never come across them, but be carefull putting in heavy duty clutches as it will put more strain on the clutch bearing, fork, slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch pedal and importantly, drivers left leg!, the reason i replaced the clutch in the 33 was a long story, but the engine and gearbox was out and i thought, why not?, and after 10 years the cluch friction plate had worn a massive half a millimetre, so it would have been good for another 30 years, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Hey Paul,

Might be worth posting in the AlfaOwner forum: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-33-sud-and-sprint/ if you don't get a good answer here.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Andrew Bose

Paul
whilst you are replacing the clutch check the pedal stop is adjusted as these can push over centre and cause the fingers to fail. Also check the hole in pedal itself as I had one that was elongated and caused the pedal to bypass the stop.
Don't bother upgrading as the standard clutch is strong enough for all but very high horsepower motors.

Andrew

colcol

When you have the clutch all set up properly, make sure the hydraulics are working as they should, there is a length of stroke of the piston in the slave cylinder, that i can't remember, but it is in the workshop manual, i have actually checked mine you just put a rule on the clutch fork, and get someone to press the clutch pedal to see if yours is stroking ok, if too far, then the pedal may be going past the stop, if not enough, you could have problems with the Master cylinder or Slave cylinder, also if possible when replacing clutch, check clutch fork against a known good one, so that the clutch is engaging and disengaging when it should, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Thanks guys; appreciate the feedback.

Andrew, will probably follow your advice as agree that a standard clutch should be fine. Have enjoyed the Exedy fitted in my Exige so was just after feedback if any H/D clutches are available (or used by boxer racers).

Colin & Evan, I am too old and lazy to change the clutch myself (although have done about 4 over the years) so will entrust to Beninca's. The hydraulics are fine and clutch fork was 'strengthened' years ago by Beninca's so hopefully should not be a problem.

Now to find a factory engine sump gasket (and 16v factory clutch if one exists!).

Thanks
Paul

colcol

Hey POC, you are not as old as me!, but i still love working on these boxer engined Alfa's as i appreciate all the good engineering, i looked at the workshop manual and the stroke of the slave cylinder is 16 - 18 mm, i have seen engine sump gaskets on Sud and 33 ebay sites, i purchased one last easter for quite a good price, one note to remember about these clutches, is to check the clutch fork pivot in the gearbox housing, after years they wear away, they are a roll pin and are quite easily replaced with the gearbox out, Colin.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: POC on September 26, 2011, 09:10:49 PM
Now to find a factory engine sump gasket (and 16v factory clutch if one exists!).

http://www.alfasud-parts.co.uk/catalog/service-items-alfasud-sprint-sump-gasket-1972-p-745.html

They don't have a 16v clutch kit however, just a standard one for 99GBP.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sportscar Nut

Thanks Guys.

Sud back on road with new standard Valeo clutch and s/h clutch fork. Found a factory sump gasket in WA so no leaks as well now. Now, onto exhaust - apparently the 33 1.7 8 valvle exhaust manifolds were the same as the Sud Ti QV according to Peter Webb. Will do some homework!

See you at Spetacollo.

Paul

colcol

Hi POC, as a matter of interest, what sort of gasket cement did you use on the sump?, and what did you torque the sump bolts to?, Colin.