1st Alfa Romeo experience

Started by colcol, October 02, 2011, 02:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Here is a subject that no one has ever done before, what was the first time you actually learnt about Alfa Romeo's, my 1st experience was in the early 70's while i was still at high school, we had this Italian teacher who shall remain nameless, who looked like a cross between a Hollywood heartthrob and F1 driver Clay Reggazoni, he used to be our drama teacher, and he would doing theatre at night doing Shakespear, but to pay the bills he used to appear in local drama's on the tv such as Homicide and Division 4, he was always cast as the Mafia crime gangster, and as he used to tell us with great amusement, learning the classics at night, so when he was on the telly he would always say, "You can't prove a thing sarge, i wasn't there, i didn't kill that man, i was somewhere else", all with a heavy Italian accent, he always had about TEN girls waiting for him in the carpark waiting to carry his books or just talk to him, i used to wait near the carpark just to hear the glorious exhaust note, by then i had been a car nut for about 5 years anyway, oh and the car was a red 105 coupe from the early 70's, tell us what made you discover this amazing Marque, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

David Mills

Col, not so much when I first learnt about them but rather how I got into them.

My first car was a Renault 750 (4cv) which had a series of troubles which I tried to solve as a complete ignoramus home mechanic.  Fortunately when I hit a problem I couldn't solve there was a mechanic not too far away who seemed to know everything about cars and motors and was an incredibly nice fellow and didn't charge much.  His name? Agostino "Ben" Beninca! While I learned about the basics of cars I was also intrigued by stories of the supercharged Fiat Topolino he built to speed up his trips to woo his subsequent wife Maria. So I soon figured out that the only sensible way to go was Italian cars and Alfa in particular and as soon as I had a remunerative job I bought a Guilia Super.  Many Alfas later, I am still here.

Davidm1600

Col, I thought many more might have posted on this topic and therefore decided to wait, but no, and so suppose I should throw my observations into the ring.  I was 8, living in Lugano (Swiss/Italian border), back in '68, when my parents bought for me some model cars for my birthday.  From memory, while not specifically Alfa, they were all Italian...Lancia Fulvia coupe, Ferrari Dino prototype, and a Fiat 124.  My uncle had a brand new Mercedes 250 coupe, which was supremely elegant....needless to say having come from Aus, where the family vehicle was an old Holden FE, such delights were un-immaginable.  Needless to say I saw plenty of Alfas, Fiats, Lancias while in Europe, since as a family we made foray's down to Italy quite regularly.  However, as a child I didn't distinguish what was what.

Later on when back in Hobart and in 1st year high school, a best mate once gave me a ride home with his dad, in his new Alfa 1750 GTV (I assume S2), and remembering at the time thinking that the car was brilliant.  Later on I recall seeing my first Giulia Super (well a TI) in Grey with a white roof (strange to say my brother has the remains of this car).  I remember at the time thinking what an ugly car it was.  I know so uneducated as Giulias are seriously  8) !!

However, wasn't until I was about 18 that my brother bought his first Alfa, a Ti 1300, did I begin to fully appreciate just how great our Alfas are.  Ever since my first ride in his Giulia, I became addicted and also simply had to have one.  Many Alfas later, I have some of the cars of my childhood memory.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

kartone

Hey Davidm1750, I lived in Lugano in the mid '70s where I was first exposed to twisty, narrow mountain roads (lived on Monte Bre and went to school in Montagnola).
My Alfa experience: Moved back to Sydney from the US in 1982 and purchased from the Alfa importer one of the first five split-dash GTV6, as the model was not yet approved by the australian authority it was registered as a 2.0l GTV, drove it everyday to work, 90 or so traffic lights eachway (regularly presented by New York license when pulled over); discovered a second GTV6 in the neighborhood owned by a pretty girl, both cars were exhibited at the premiere of Octopussy in Sydney. While visiting Lignano, Italy met another very pretty girl, now my wife, who was a true Alfista with two Alfasud under her belt; her cousin owned an Alfa dealership in Udine. After living overseas for 20 years moved to Melbourne 7 years ago, reluctantly had to give up karting (no equivalent CAMS license) and so to fill the need of pleasure & thrill of tinkering & driving in 2009 purchased a 1980 GTV.   
See you all at the Spettacolo.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Davidm1600

Hehe Kartone, how about that !!  I will have to check with the family where exactly we lived, as we were staying with my Aunt/Uncle and our cousins at their home (a former Hotel).  All I can recall was that it was up and out of town, overlooking the Lake.  I remember walking down to the lakeside on Christmas day, celebrating my birthday there etc.  I also remember going on trips with our parents down to Verona, Milano, out to Venice etc,  all of us crammed in the back of a Morrie 1100, which we had picked up in Southhampton, and used for all of our travels around the UK, around France, Belgium, Germany and over to Switzerland etc. 

Many great memories of meeting my family over in Europe. Ah yes and I too went to School for a bit in both Zurich and Lugano.  I was definitely the curiosity factor for the other kids there !
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

orgigeorgie

I really like these stories. First time from what i can remember i was 9 and the 156 had recently come to Australia. I saw it on the road in kew. It was red with tan leather. Soon as i saw one i was like wow, what is that?! Didn't see one for a bout a year after that. My old rowing coach was an italian, who drove his parents 166 and then later bought him self a '83(?) GTV6 and took me for a blast up to falls creek. I was 11.

When the new JTS engines came out, dad took me to the motor show and we checked them out. Stocked up on posters, and the GTA versions had just come out. I was 12/13. Now I'm 21. Not an amazing story but i drive the car of my childhood dreams. Not my parents, not given to me, not a present. Mine. Awesome, awesome feeling.
156 GTA | 156 TS | GTV6

colcol

OK, here is my 1st Alfa Romeo story Mk2, Was in 1974, my 1st year of work, was an apprentice working at a place making Leyland P-76 bodies,[!], an engineer turned up, with a rare to Australia, 105 coupe, but i knew this Marque, see previous story, he was showing us his new car, it was white, 2 litre, twin over head cams FOUR Webers, all alloy engine, 5 speed gearbox, all coil suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, top speed over 120 mph, wow!, i thought this is a car company that has some good engineering going for it, he told us it cost him $8,000 new, this was when a Melbourne house was worth $30,000, i thought, this bloke must be worth millions, maybe a hotted up EH Holden is not the way to go, but one of these funny Italian cars with all the good engineering, 12 years later i purchased my first Alfa, 1984 33 TI, not dissapointed one bit, 25 years later still got it, drove it one hour ago, love it to pieces, [still], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Ray Pignataro

Colin did you buy your 33 new? if so how much was it divide that by 25 years. yep cheap motoring/enjoyment

dehne

My first real experience, being i had seen a 33 and a gtv before but not really looked at them, was when i was 19 was going to buy a cheap car and the father in law was into alfas and said i should check this car out and it was only $1500 it turn out to be a 2lt red alfetta 79mdl with sunroof and what i thought a whole lot of sex appeal i loved this car and did a crap load of miles on it it blew 2 engines and killed a gearbox, i then brought my first 90 and thought i would restore the fetta to as new cond but as most will agree it did not happen and it ended up where all alfetta should and thats at matty francis house.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

Hey Ray, you should know me by now, i am too stingy to buy anything new, it was 18 months old when i purchased it from Talbot Motors in Collingwood in April 86, as you know Alfas always break down and they don't last a long time like Japanese cars, would have purchased an Alfa a lot earlier, BUT i have always worked for the local car industry for Manufacturers and suppliers, and there is always pressure to buy something local, or you are considered disloyal, so see what my 1st car was, a VW made at Clayton at the old Volkswagon factory, Colin.

pancho

At 22 I saw a mates red 1.5 carby 33ti and fell in love, I bought it off him a while later, found a pair of sparco race seats seats, a timber steering wheel and knob and thrashed the life out of it. When the performance wasn't enough I bought a 1.7FI 16v engine and installed that into it. Polished up the tele dials and put in a 1.3 gearbox, the 33 was a sprint weapon. After that I went to a Lancia beta coupe with an Integrale 8v engine, then to a GTV6 that was awaiting the 3.2 GTA engine, but I didn't finish that one...now the GT. Looking fwd to getting it on the road. I am now lusting after a 2600 spider or a duetto 1600/1750.

MD

Pancho. Get medical help NOW.  :D

There's a million stories out there and here's mine.

I got the thumb out on the side of the Hume and headed for an adventure in my adolescence to Queensland. Wasn't long before a funny little aqua green sedan picks me up. I throw my kit bag in the back and take a seat in the front seat that seemed real comfy. Didn't take long. A short glance into the driver's mirror and 6 grand on the tacho, we take off. Surprised out of my shorts, I started to look around the interiors of this car I had never seen before. Beautiful timber dash. Fabulous instrumentation. An induction note coming from under the bonnet that suggested great muscle and excitement.

The power poles were going faster and faster past my window and we seemed to have passed 50 trucks in the blink of and eye and settled into a cruise mode. I sneaked a glance at the speedo. We were doing a hundred miles an hour without any fuss and heading for Albury. Every now and then, the brakes came on and they came on hard followed by some more growling from under the bonnet and another three cars are passed in one manoeuvre. Like wow man, I have never travelled in a car like it. Let alone such a small one with this much performance.

As I got out at junction in Albury, I turned to the driver and just had to ask him what was this car. He smiled briefly and simply said, an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super. I was hooked for life...then I my life changed even more.

I got a lift with a fruit picker going north in an EK wagon with a shagged rear muffler and whyne in the diff but all the Kelpie wanted to do was lick my ear all the way to Parkes :(
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Kiwiboy105

Not exactly sure when my first experience was with Alfa Romeo but probably in High school.  I love Italian cars and in particular Ferraris and Alfa Romeos from the 60s and 70s.  A mate of mine had a 1978 GTV6 and so did his girlfriend!  ;D

I had seen the 105 series cars on the streets of Melbourne and Geelong and fell in love with the styling immmediately.  Towards the end of Uni I finally bought my first Alfa Romeo - a 2000 GTV from 1974.  It was maroon with beige interior and everyone looked twice at it!  I was still very green about how much trouble these cars can give you if you are not educated and if they have not been looked after.  Still, the little car full of rust and countless other little issues, sounded sweet and handled beautifully.  My Italian class mates loved her as did most of my friends. 

Sadly, I sold the car not long after I married but fortunately we now have little blue or "Alfie" as my kids call it!  My father-in-law who is a car nut and huge Ford fan thought Alfas were trouble but even he was surprised at just how well the little car drives.  ;)  Good Times!
"You are not a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa" - J Clarkson

David Mills

Nice story MD.  Wasn't me who picked you up.  My car was white!  Spent a couple of years with the Guilia Super commuting between Melbourne & Canberra.  Always travelled at night.  The speed limit in those days was a statutory 60mph which meant if you were going quicker you had to be able to prove it was safe to do so.  Sat on 5000 rpm all the way which I think was around 100mph.

And of course if you were about to pass an ordinary car with pretensions you always changed down to be sure to get the lovely up change sound as you passed his window!

Cheers Dave

MD

Yeah hi David. Of course there is a lot more to that story but if I reveal the details,it may not reflect too well on certain parties that shall remain nameless as it is not material to my introduction to the love affair with Alfa. I had to wait another 18 years before I could afford a Super. My grown up kids still talk about it.

BTW that business about "open" speed limits in Vic. got me off from going to Jail 20 years later..
I was motoring in western Victoria and on my way to Adelaide. I decided to let the Guilia stretch the 2 litre legs and I had it cruising at 170kph. Within about 10 minutes a VL Commodore pulls out of the bushes with no police decals just a blue light. After a couple swear words, I pulled over.

The young officer asked me how fast I was going and  I promptly told him 170 as it was a clear fine day, dry conditions with clear visibiltiy in my vehicle designed for the purpose. And so I asked him, what's the problem? He said the limit was a 100. To which I said, since when? Then I said to him I was originally licensed in Vic and as far as I knew, the "open" limit rules applied still but I stood to be corrected as I had been out of the state for 20 years. Cripes his said, I see you got Qld plates ! Well, I suppose I had better get you back to Qld and so he fined me for about 115kph and said to take it easy as those rules no longer applied.

Not all cops are arseholes..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0