Hi

Started by jsheard, January 09, 2012, 05:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsheard

Hi all,
My name is Jacques, a first time poster on the Alfa forum.
I need a little help with an Alfa I'm looking at buying.
The bloke selling isn't 100% sure he wants to get rid of it but probably would if the price is right and has asked me to make him an offer.
Trouble is I've been out of the Alfa market for a while and am not sure whats it's really worth.
It's a 1972 1600gt Junior. Rust bubbles in passenger A pillar and top of door, some major rust in drivers door which also has a broken lock and window that only goes up half way.
Interior is complete but seats are tatty and ripped in places. All instruments are there, dashboard is faded and cracked. Engine runs OK but car hasn't been driven for 8 months, needs four new tyres and no RWC.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

ItalCarGuy

Welcome! Where are you based?

Hmmm. I reckon he'd be scratching to get $1500-2000 with that description. Any redeeming features like a freshly rebuilt engine or suspension? Unless you love cutting out rust yourself the bodywork quickly adds up. Believe me I know!

If I were you I'd hire a local alfa mechanic to come and look if you plan on making an offer. He will be realistic and the seller may not get quite as offended by the lowball offer. Just my opinion.

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi,
It really depends what you want to do with the car. Parts? drive it? Restore it? It sounds like the rust could be very, very bad. Unless you are a restoration genius, take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself do you really want to do it to yourself?

If you decide to persue, at the very least, take Derek's advice. The car only sounds like a parts car to me based on the limited information provided. Given the new RWC in Victoria it sounds like the car is unlikely to roadworthy quickly or cheaply.

My 2 cents worth is... RUN AWAY!  ;D