Gear Selection Gremlins

Started by Fylnn, September 05, 2011, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fylnn

I ahve just got my GTV6 back on the road after about 8 years off.  Gearchange is not too bad as I remember Alfas.  Usual pause before engaging first or it graunches and second is OK, but helps not to rush too much and double decltuch going back down.  But the mystery is selecting reverse.  3 times out of 4 it is fine, goes straight in, then every so often it won't go in for love nor money.  I can put it into first and then try, or fifith or any gear.  Let the clutch out in neutral, let the car roll, but nothing works.  Only thing that seems to help is driving off again and then trying, which is quite often not possible.

Anyone struck this one before? 

Brad M

My tip would be to have the clutch pedal on the floor, select 4th gear and then select Reverse as quick as possible.

It was a tip I was given to get a GTV6 into reverse nicer.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Brad M

I think you also need to let the clutch off a little when 4th is selected (before going to Reverse).

I believe the theory is to slow the internals of the gearbox down ... haven't got my head around how it actually works yet.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Fylnn

Thanks, knew there would be some combination of holding your mouth right and untangling a selector or moving a shaft that would work.

colcol

And when it won't go into reverse, its most likely because the 2 teeth are not aligned, so you need to let the clutch out to shift the gear so it lines up more favouritely, and the next time you have the gearbox out for 2nd gear synchro replacement have a look at reverse gear and its mating gear and you will most likely see the lead ins on the gears have been ground off, just get a dremel grinder and regrind the tapered lead in on the gear and it will make a hell of a difference, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]