2007 Brera Spider 3.2 JTS Q4

Started by mczero, August 28, 2011, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mczero

Hi From mczero,

I have owned Fiats nearly all my life. Been in the Queensland Fiat Club since 1975, except when I was in England. Still got the 1979 Fiat Spider 2000, and the 1975 124 CC from new.  Had an Alfa 33 for a short time till it spontaneously combusted.  My restoration of the Fiat Spider started to go backwards as rust and deterioration were happening faster than my restoration rate. Couldn't find a Fiat Spider with less rust than mine in the country.  Needed a new Fiat.  Punto’s and Cinquecento’s are a bit small. Fiat Coupes are a bit thin on the ground in Brisbane. Barchettas non-existent, so what do you do?  Well you have a look for an Alfa Spider.  You find a cool red 2004 low km, but when you go to look, it's got lots of oil leaks and the top doesn't close properly. You've got to have a red one, so you catch a train to Coffs Harbour where a guy is selling a nice red 2007 Brera Spider. Turns out it had sat in a showroom in Coffs Harbour for three years till Jan 2010. Not too surprising, they were asking $95 grand.  So it's really only 18 months old and it's only got 20,000k's on the clock. What Fiat aficionado could resist? Not me. Best car I've ever driven. The drive back to Brisbane with the top down was just superb. The body is taut and it holds the road like araldite. What were those reviewers who bagged the Brera driving? Ok, it's not as quick as the Audi TT or an RX8 but hey, it's an Alfa. It's a bit heavy, I hear them say. Well of course, it's got all wheel drive, cruise control, power everything, heated everything, push button start, it plays your mp3s straight off your USB stick through Bose speakers, if you can't be bothered filling the 10 stacker CD. Of course it's a bit heavy; it even cools your drinks! (Or keeps them warm.) The passenger even has his own air con. That's right, she can have warm feet while you keep yours cool. Ridiculous luxury. Maybe I'd rather have had a bit less of this luxury and have it a bit lighter and quicker.  Well you could always rip it out if you want to, but I'm not going to, just for half a sec in the 0-60.  Any negatives? Well it’s got a Holden block. What's wrong with that?  A bit of Aussie content from Port Melbourne.  Kind of neat really, in your Alfa.  It doesn't rev out like an Alfa (or a Fiat) in first gear, you whinge. True, but that Autodelta type remap might happen down the track.  Anyhow, it’s got a body designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro and a top by Pininfarina.  I can just sit and look at it all day.   I love this Alfa.

Cheers,
mczero
2007 Brera Spider 3.2 JTS Q4
1979 Fiat CS2 Spider
Alfa 33
1975 Fiat CC 124 Coupe
Fiat 900T
1975 Fiat CC 124 Coupe

Brad M

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome.

I do admire the latest example of the Alfa Spider.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067