Shitbox Rally 2012

Started by Stuart Thomson, August 22, 2011, 02:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to all who donated to the Shitbox Rally 2011 for Teams America and The Knack.

Having failed to break down (terminally) and die in the outback this year, we are planning to try again next year.  The trip is from Melbourne to Cairns.

I now have an Alfa 90, Frank, don't look at what I do to it!

I have setup a blog (http://www.siriuscybernetics.org.au/Siriuscybernetics/Shitbox_Rally_2012/Shitbox_Rally_2012.html)

Of course, should you feel the need to donate (there's plenty of time, but if you've got heaps of cash...) http://www.everydayhero.com.au/fat_boy_racing

Cheers
Stuart (Fat Boy #1)

Davidm1600

Way to go Stuart, I like many contributed some $$$ to the cause last time, though for Sheldon's Scuderia.  But this time it will have to be yours, especially if it is once again the lone voice of Alfa in the wilderness.  Should be a top trip. 

Was dead envious of all of you heading off on such an adventure.  Perhaps one day I might as well.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Stuart Thomson

Hi all,

I have updated the blog, here's some pictures from it.

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart Thomson

And more ...

Stuart Thomson

And more ...

Brad M

Yep that rust in the B pillar was worse than mine  ;D
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

four90s

Hi Brad and Stuart,

Good luck to both of you and congratulations on choosing one of the finest and most underrated Alfa sedans to run in the rally.
Just a couple of things from the "ask me how I know" file; the 90's didn't come with headlight relays as standard and I really recommend their installation. The headlight switch melts if the headlights are on for too long and you end up with no lights apart from high beam, by using the "flash" function.

(I am assuming that while running in the rally, headlights will be on.)

Second, and more serious, the fuel supply and return lines follow the right hand side inner wheel arch, as does the exhaust. (About 25mm clearance to the exhaust) Great in cold old Europe, but if you are pressing on in warm Australia, you can end up with a vapour lock, which goes away after a 25 to 30 minute wait on the side of the road. Don't think that will help your times in the competitive stages!

I got around this by making up a simple sheetmetal heat shield following the same wheel arch curve. I also put one under the fuel pump as well, to protect it from the heat radiating off the road.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers

Steve Weedon
Adelaide,
Currently the proud owner of four 90s and some other Alfas.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: four90s on September 05, 2011, 04:09:20 PM
Hi Brad and Stuart,

Good luck to both of you and congratulations on choosing one of the finest and most underrated Alfa sedans to run in the rally.
Just a couple of things from the "ask me how I know" file; the 90's didn't come with headlight relays as standard and I really recommend their installation. The headlight switch melts if the headlights are on for too long and you end up with no lights apart from high beam, by using the "flash" function.

(I am assuming that while running in the rally, headlights will be on.)

Second, and more serious, the fuel supply and return lines follow the right hand side inner wheel arch, as does the exhaust. (About 25mm clearance to the exhaust) Great in cold old Europe, but if you are pressing on in warm Australia, you can end up with a vapour lock, which goes away after a 25 to 30 minute wait on the side of the road. Don't think that will help your times in the competitive stages!

I got around this by making up a simple sheetmetal heat shield following the same wheel arch curve. I also put one under the fuel pump as well, to protect it from the heat radiating off the road.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers

Steve Weedon
Adelaide,
Currently the proud owner of four 90s and some other Alfas.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads up.

I owned a 2.5l 75 and have had the headlight switch melt on the freeway on the way home one night, so relays are going in. I'm also installing spotlights, it got very dark last year, with one working headlight on the Dolly, holding the high beam on (on flash) for 200km wasn't fun.

Hmm... there are no competitive stages to the rally, it's really just a touring run.

Will insulate the fuel lines (and maybe give them some protection as well).

Check out the blog regularly to see where I'm at, I got some nice blue hoses today!

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart Thomson

Work has recommenced on the Alfa 90.  The B-Pillars were shot, and to keep the roof off our heads we have decided that we need to fix them.  Fortunately safety related items aren't covered in the $1k budget.

I've updated our blog, which also includes a driver change, my original Fat Boy #2 has had a better offer, so I've dragged another guy from work in to help out.

I really need your help too, we've cracked the $1500 mark, but need another $2500 to get a start in the rally.

Download the sponsorship offer from http://tinyurl.com/6q72yt5

Or visit the Everyday hero website at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/fat_boy_racing

I'll be painting the car soon, what do you think about "Carabinieri" blue?

Cheers
Fat Boy #1

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

Like Sheldon, the Two Amigos (and presumably the other teams) we have been busy working on the 90.

The full blog is at http://www.siriuscybernetics.org.au/Siriuscybernetics/Shitbox_Rally_2012/Shitbox_Rally_2012.html

Sneak peek pics below.

Suffice to say that Hugh Harrison and Mick Aarons donated some time and parts to the resurrection of the gearbox.

And I have worn off the skin from my right hand from...

sanding the car back several times (not what you were thinking you dirty, dirty people)

Cheers and don't forget to donate...
Stuart

aggie57

Geez Stuart - with that lovely paint job its looking less like a shitbox every day!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Davidm1600

Is starting to look like an Italian Flag, cool. Just send a pledge for $30; how do I/when can I pay this via bpay/direct deposit Stu ?
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Neil Choi

What Italian flag???  I thought it was the Tajikistan flag.

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Davidm1750 on March 28, 2012, 10:58:42 AM
Is starting to look like an Italian Flag, cool. Just send a pledge for $30; how do I/when can I pay this via bpay/direct deposit Stu ?

Hi David,

Hopefully they sent you details on how to pay.  I just use my credit card, so no problems.  The email I got said that you had been sent something, does this have the info?

Cheers
Stuart

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Neil Choi on March 28, 2012, 11:11:19 AM
What Italian flag???  I thought it was the Tajikistan flag.

No crown in the middle Neil, and you're looking at it side on you idiot!