Should Ironsides get flames?

Started by Evan Bottcher, September 20, 2007, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think Sheldon should get some yellow and red flames painted/stuck onto Ironsides, what do you think?

Hell yeah that would make her a sweet ride!
10 (90.9%)
Yeah allright I suppose
1 (9.1%)
Hmm - it's a bit lame
0 (0%)
No way loser!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

nerineandgary

I feel at this time that I should weigh in to the argument. SHELDON DON'T DO IT!. It is your Alfa duty to restore old ironsides to it's former glory if you are going to do anything. I would like to see it with a new (grey) paint job, new or restored trim, a detailed engine bay and spotless underbody including all running gear. If I  can offer some advice, it is better to remove all doors bonnet and boot lid when you are doing a Sunday detail of door jams etc etc.  Polish (and your time) is cheap. So don't be misled by school boy opinion, you are above all that, being as you are a respected and revered Editor of an important publication. Do you use a brief case?

Colin Byrne

I understand where your coming from Gary, I really do, but when your' looking at  a car you have to weigh up the originality vs performance.  This vehicle is undeniable a thoroughbred track machine and we are talking about a performance modification here.  I'm sure if this type of technology was available to alfa at the time I have no doubt that flames would have been a factory option
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

alfagtv58

Quote from: Gary Pearce on September 26, 2007, 03:59:13 PM
So don't be misled by school boy opinion, you are above all that,

Sheldon isnt above that......go on Sheldon, what are you...chicken ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Victor Lee

Paint it yellow!  We need another yello Alfa on the track!! (that's yello, not custard, Jim)

Then we'll put chequed black and white squares down the side and borrow a taxi sign!  Yellow on briefcase optional.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks Gary, nice to have some sensible (or was that sarcastic, hard to tell in text) comment on this thread.

I know what you're saying.  I (against all of my better judgement) actually love my 90, and 90's in general.  I think they're a (reasonably) good looking car, and exceptionally well engineered, and perfect for their intended market. 

HOWEVER, Ironsides has been crashed, and the engine bay metal is slightly bent, which thankfully hasn't affected driving at all.  It would need pulling to get it straight.  I managed to eventually bolt some panels on but the shutlines are 80's Aston Martin quality.  I toyed with the idea of getting it fixed properly, but at the time was thinking I should buy another Alfa as a track car, or whether to buy another 90/164 as a road car, and turn Ironsides into a track car, and forget about fixing the metal.  Lo and behold, a beautiful blue 90 came up for sale and I got it for a bargain price. 

The blue 90 is in better condition than than Ironsides ever was, and has low kms and owners.  Hence, the blue 90 (I need a name) will be treated well, and restored to her former glory.  One day she may even be worth something!

Ironsides will be gutted and turned into one mean-ass stripped-out track b*tch.  24V one day!

Gary, I prefer a mix of schoolboy on the weekends, respected and revered editor during the week!  Cheers for the comments, I notice you haven't voted in the negative though!

Sheldon McIntosh

QuoteThis vehicle is undeniable a thoroughbred track machine and we are talking about a performance modification here
sic

So true, so true.

The only thing that worries me is the added weight from the stickers/paint.  Any ideas gratefully accepted.  I was thinking of taking out the aircon, cutting out the spare wheel well, maybe replacing the windows with lexan.....    All good ideas.

Some fool suggested I take out the briefcase, but that's just ridiculous.  Then where would I put my cosmetics, razors, hairdryers/products/straighteners/curlers etc. Someone even suggested taking the slab out of the boot, but you should see how much she rolls when it's not there.  I might stick an ocky strap around it next time though, I broke a couple of bottles last time out.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Colin Byrne on September 26, 2007, 04:31:45 PM
I'm sure if this type of technology was available to alfa at the time I have no doubt that flames would have been a factory option

I'm pretty sure that the Autodelta ITC and DTM Alfa 90s in their day had enormous flame jobs, and huge eagles airbrushed on the bonnets, and a big sticker on the back reading "This is Alfa country... on a still day you can hear the Mercedes rusting.".  This was a crucial element in their strategy at the Nurburgring!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Gary Pearce

I've got the solution to save weight Sheldon. The Hot Rod guys have it. There is a kit available that you can buy that pipes a little bit of fuel down the sides.......and ignites it. There you go real flames! And I think that's what Evan was reffering to with the enormous flames coming out of them in the 90's
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on September 26, 2007, 07:04:54 PM
Thanks Gary, nice to have some sensible (or was that sarcastic, hard to tell in text) comment on this thread.

I know what you're saying.  I (against all of my better judgement) actually love my 90, and 90's in general.  I think they're a (reasonably) good looking car, and exceptionally well engineered, and perfect for their intended market. 

HOWEVER, Ironsides has been crashed, and the engine bay metal is slightly bent, which thankfully hasn't affected driving at all.  It would need pulling to get it straight.  I managed to eventually bolt some panels on but the shutlines are 80's Aston Martin quality.  I toyed with the idea of getting it fixed properly, but at the time was thinking I should buy another Alfa as a track car, or whether to buy another 90/164 as a road car, and turn Ironsides into a track car, and forget about fixing the metal.  Lo and behold, a beautiful blue 90 came up for sale and I got it for a bargain price. 

The blue 90 is in better condition than than Ironsides ever was, and has low kms and owners.  Hence, the blue 90 (I need a name) will be treated well, and restored to her former glory.  One day she may even be worth something!

Ironsides will be gutted and turned into one mean-ass stripped-out track b*tch.  24V one day!

Gary, I prefer a mix of schoolboy on the weekends, respected and revered editor during the week!  Cheers for the comments, I notice you haven't voted in the negative though!

I hadn't thought of ironsides as a resto prospect - i like the "mean-ass stripped-out track b*tch" idea though - particularly the 24v v6......nothing beats the scream of the 24v - when?

Oh, and yes, do the flames....
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Quotenothing beats the scream of the 24v - when?

Well since I'm a Kiwi and don't get the whole footy thing, I thought maybe 2.30pm tomorrow I'll go round to a certain address in Toorak and jack a certain Mello Yello racecar with a nice 24v while the streets are empty.

You guys can keep a secret yeah?

Evan - what do you mean "average"?