2012 East Coast Challenge

Started by alfa duk, August 04, 2011, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

Just returned from a VRA meeting  where champagne was poped and trophies distributed celebrating a NSW whitewash of those pesky canetoads. Not even the most sucessful gtv-ex Wilson car could save them on their home turf. Anyway enough tossing, Talk moved to next year and Winton has been flagged as the venue for next years ECC. Canetoads are keen to make the trek, howabout you Mexicans. It would be awsome if you blokes could come along and create a true ECC. I know there are some neat cars down there as seen at Alfa Island so if there is some interest from you Vics we would firm it in. Doug
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Sheldon McIntosh

jimnielsen

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

MD

Hey Doug,

No denying the NSW lads deserved the win and it would be unrealistic to say otherwise. My personal favourite car for the week end was Alf Musemici's black 3 litre GTV6 which he drove to perfection (and what a gentleman he is too).

However just to put some background to it, the current owner of the ex Wilson car has only recently purchased it and is still getting to know its characteristics. He almost had a major lose coming onto the main straight during qualifying and so that tends to ring alarm bells that need to be heeded which he did.

The second car driven by hammer got cleaned up somewhat by the Ferrari putting him a bad position for the actual race.

If the above factors were not in play, I don't say the results would have changed but it would have made for much closer racing in my opinion.

Nevertheless, never been to Winton so I will be looking forward to that.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Evan Bottcher

I'd be in.  Someone has to be the tail gunner.

(edit: as long as it's not in April.  We have Turismo Tasmania and the Shitbox Rally both happening in April.  And not the last weekend in July.  And not on a rainy day)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 05, 2011, 08:48:31 AM
I'd be in.  Someone has to be the tail gunner.

Well, it was either going to be you or Ray Pignataro.

I am in.

I would think the mexicans will have an advantage on the track.

Similar time of year? 

Get in early as dates for Winton are filling up or filled.

Neil

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 05, 2011, 09:49:23 AM
I would think the mexicans will have an advantage on the track.

Results from the Winton 6-Hour a couple of years back would indicate otherwise.  Of course that's regularity, but...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

hammer

This canetoad will definitely be there. Giulietta won't be as quick around its old stomping ground on skinny R tyres and with my lard arse in the seat, but we'll give it a crack anyway.

Cheers,

Brent

jimnielsen

I believe 1:34.01 is its benchmark Brent..that's four seconds faster than the 155 Q4 has done at Winton (on the long track)...Yes, it was on slicks :)

jim..
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

alfagtv58

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 05, 2011, 09:49:23 AM

Similar time of year? 

Get in early as dates for Winton are filling up or filled.

Neil

Neil, was going to discuss this with you tomorrow @ Winton.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Quote from: alfagtv58 on August 05, 2011, 11:56:39 AM

Neil, was going to discuss this with you tomorrow @ Winton.

Noooooooo, don't want another event to organize!!!!!!!

alfa duk

Excellent work guys, will pass on this info to our events organiser and it seems that the 2 race formula that is Group s,n and vra approved vehicles and a whatever category would apply, worked in qld.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Bear157

This is another newbie from Qld that has penned the Winton trip in. Should have any major bugs ironed out of the Alfetta by then...Road trip!

Rob

Neil Choi

Some VRA notices to get some revved up, especially for September.

Those Victorians with suitable Alfa's and there are many, might want to get gear up.

======================================================

ARDC Sports Car Meeting Eastern Creek May 19-20

As in previous years, there will be all-Alfa races, providing we have enough entrants (if not, we will share grids with the MX-5's). Group S is on the card as well, providing enough track time to make both you and your Alfa need a rest, if you wish to double enter.

Note that this is a CAMS sanctioned event - a CAMS competition circuit licence and vehicle logbook are required.

East Coast Challenge Winton Short September 29-30

For the first time, our Victorian bretheren will be hosting the East Coast Challenge, and if their hospitality at Alfa Island and the Winton 6 Hour is anything to judge by, this will be THE event of the year. At the recent Phillip Island Historics, the Victorians provided eight of the eighteen Group S and Group N Alfas, and a further ten Alfas in Regularity rounded out the entry. The potential is there for a great meeting - be there!

Note that this is an AASA sanctioned event - either AASA or CAMS documentation will be accepted.