Various 147 GTA Advice

Started by MJF, July 29, 2011, 01:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJF

Hi Everyone

I have been meaning to post some questions for what must be months and while I've been procrastinating (haven't had time to scratch my ass really) my list just keeps getting longer!

So apologies for posting this all at once but I know if I don't do it now, it will never get done.

So here we go:
- I am in desperate need of new front tyres and I am leaning towards a set of Pirelli PZero Neros.  Any other thoughts or suggestions?

- I am also in desperate need of new front pads. At this stage it is a toss up between Ferodo DS2500s and EBC Reds.  I want the best performance possible without squealing every time I get a red light.  Cost and Availability are my next considerations.  Which way should I go?

- I have purchased a genuine rear badge and can't for the life of me remove the one-piece plastic cover inside the boot door.  I remove all the screws and clips I can find but I am still pretty sure that I will snap something if I pull it any harder. Has anyone performed this on a 147?

- I have broken the bloody control knob on one of the middle air vents (see attached picture) but it looks as though a new one would clip straight on.  Has anyone sourced one of these before?

- I am looking for a replacement under tray and I know that it is cheaper to import/purchase in bulk.  Is anyone else in the market for one of these and if so, where would you source them?

That is all!  Many thanks to anyone who can be of assistance; I look forward to the day where I can return the favour.

Many thanks
Michael
1974 Mazda RX-4 Coupe [in pieces]
2002 Peugeot 307 XSE [past]
2004 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA [daily driver]

Brad M

Hi Michael

Quote from: MJF on July 29, 2011, 01:33:48 PM
- I am in desperate need of new front tyres and I am leaning towards a set of Pirelli PZero Neros.  Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Just brought a set myself, but from the US (tire rack) ... then I see (in another thread) Torbin went for some fancy Michelin's which seem a good option too.

- I am also in desperate need of new front pads. At this stage it is a toss up between Ferodo DS2500s and EBC Reds.  I want the best performance possible without squealing every time I get a red light.  Cost and Availability are my next considerations.  Which way should I go?
This is a personal choice (as demonstrated in other threads), I have the following;

• Road car; standard pads (don't know the brand) which give great confidence for general use and bite quickly.
  • Track car; performance pads (can't remember the brand ... EBC I think) which give little confidence when cold (read that as I crap myself at the first intersection as I doubt it'll pull up), but are great on the track.

- I have purchased a genuine rear badge and can't for the life of me remove the one-piece plastic cover inside the boot door.  I remove all the screws and clips I can find but I am still pretty sure that I will snap something if I pull it any harder. Has anyone performed this on a 147?
From memory of 8 months ago, remove the couple of screws and pull off the cover it is just clipped in ... I was pretty nervous here thinking I was about to break it, but I didn't.

- I have broken the bloody control knob on one of the middle air vents (see attached picture) but it looks as though a new one would clip straight on.  Has anyone sourced one of these before?
No sorry, can't help here.

- I am looking for a replacement under tray and I know that it is cheaper to import/purchase in bulk.  Is anyone else in the market for one of these and if so, where would you source them?
I think there's another thread on here about someone looking for others to go in on the bullk Aluminium Undertray from Denmark. Otherwise we need to pressure Stu into getting the Carbonfibre replacement made for about $500 each. I could be in the market if Stu refuses to pull his finger out.

Cheers, Brad
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

pasey25

i got the alum undertray from Alfastumper. it was much much less than $500 even with shipping factored in

Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

colcol

Personally if the car is being used on the road all the time use the softest pads you can, as they work from cold, give good feel, don't shudder or make noise and are easy on the rotors, i used to have hard pads on my car after sprints and, well see Brads comments, as for the badge, if they are like the older badges, they have 2 pins that are a push fit on 2 bushes on the car, but sometimes they put double sided tape for extra security to stop them being casually pulled off by kids, try putting a plastic picnic knife under the badge to ease it off, if the vent  is similar the 156, then there are 2 black screws that are self tappers with torx heads once you remove these, there are spring clips that hold it down, CAREFULLY lift it away from the top of the dash, but there may be a sensor at the top of the airvent, and you will have to unplug that from the wiring loom or unpluck the sensor from the airvent assembly, decide if you are going to replace it with a good one from a wrecker, get one and you will see how it all works and how to remove it, or if you are going to fix up the old one, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MJF

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice! I went with the PZero Neros and am looking forward to putting some kays on them around the mountains.  As for the pads, I have been recommended by John French Motors in Woolloongabba (Brisbane) to go with Endless pads and slotted rotors.  Apparently they have tried all of the ECB and Ferodo products and have advised me that the Endless/slotted rotors will be the best combination.  I am yet to get the product code from them to do some of my own comparisons online.

I'll have another crack at the badge and may have found a replacement air vent control so fingers crossed.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Michael

colcol

I always think that when my badge gets stolen, put the new one on with a minimum double sided tape, so its a bit hard to remove, say someone walking down the street taking a liking to your badge, trys to remove but it won't come off, so they keep walking, but you don't want it impossible to remove, otherwise they get the screwdriver out and gouge off your paint, then instead of just a new badge, you have to pay for a respray, ouch!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MJF

Haha good point! pitty they don't make badges removable like stereo head units..

Evan Bottcher

Alfa should fit something like this:

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MJF

Haha that's awesome Evan!

Just a quick update – I took the GTA to John French Motors and had it services for the first time today with no significant issues.  The most noticeable improvement is the smooth action of the clutch pedal after having the master cylinder rotated and oiled – hopefully this lasts for a little while longer.  I also had them fit a new under tray, the read badge (I just wasn't getting around to it) and they are sourcing the little air vent controller.  I was really happy with their service and am going back in a week to have some slotted DBA rotors and Endless pads fitted.  They swear by this combination as the best compromise between street/track so I am hoping for the best.  I also learned today that the easiest way to determine if a GTA has the 305mm or 355mm rotors(without putting a ruler up against the rim) is the absence of a space-saver spare for the latter as it does not fit the larger rotors.

Interestingly, I was under the impression that the car was not fitted with a Q2 but the workshop manager was adamant that it behaved as a Q2 would when he took it for a drive.  I told him that the new Pirelli PZero Neros have made a big difference to the drivability under acceleration so it will be interesting to see what happens when we have it up on the hoist next and remember to spin one of the front wheels by hand.

Anyway that is all I have to report, I think I have pretty much covered everything off my initial list.  I look forward to giving an update on the new brakes.

Cheers
Michael

wankski

ok... 2 things...

1) the GTA sizes were and are 305mm and 330mm. no 355. ever.

2) torsen is NOT the same as most common LSDs (viscous and clutch type)... jacked up it will behave like an open diff... ie spin one wheel and the other may spin the other way...

I can hear the difference in a torsen in my car at least.   i have some really awful hard firestone tires on mine... if i rev it out in first gear the car has a definite gear whine as u hit the higher revs that is absent on the stock open.... this is b/c the torsen has straight cut gears that are engaged when there is slippage.... (kinda sounds like a supercharger!!  8)  )

you can read about it here:
http://websworld.org/marcel/ta23/diff.html

HTHs

MJF

Hi Wankski

Thanks for clarifying the rotor size and the diff type.  If the Q2 is a vocal as you say then I I dare say I probably don't have one.

Have you got a 147 as well?

Michael

wankski

as per the article, the straight cut gears engage only when one wheel is slipping.... as i have rubbish 'RWC' firestones, that means taking off with reckless abandon in 1st, where u expect wheelspin...

if you were driving half sane w/ decent rubber like those pirellis it may have not really been engaging.

the other gears don't do it so much in mine.. maybe 2nd a little.... but getting on it in a gentle corner @ revs probably would... especially in a GTA.

nope. update 156 2.5 v6.