Simple tasks on stripping an Alfa 166

Started by Joey, July 24, 2011, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

Hi all, I have set apart stripping my second 166 stealing parts off it. So far - so good but I have hit a weird snag.... I can't seem to get the steering wheel off. I can find three holes at the back of the 'spokes' which seem to lead to about a 3mm allen socket, but two wont budge and the other seems to be stripped. Seeing as though I can't really look inside I thought I would put it to the forum!
Haven't really had a close look yet but any tips on removing the rear seats too while I am at it ;)
Generally speaking I am finding it to be quite simple and that the 166 is actually a pretty well assembled car!

I very much appreciate your replies.

colcol

Never pulled the steering wheel off a 932 series car yet, but i would say you would have to remove the horn pad, usually some self tapping screws at the back of the steering wheel, then you would CAREFULLY remove the airbag, and then there is usually a nut that holds the steering wheel on, then you would need a light, not heavy duty puller, as you are only pulling a steering wheel, not removing a wheel bearing off a hub, have removed the back seat out of a 156, to retreive a SIM card, [don't ask!], if i remember rightly, a couple of screws at the base of the sqaub that mounts to the floor, then with brute strength, grab the bottom of the seat and lift up, and be amazed at the things you find there, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Joey

Thanks Col, on the same train of thought I was on but still no dice. Had a look at the rear seats and it looks like your on the money with them though. Scary the amount of garbage I have found under the front seat!

colcol

I don't like touching airbags, they hurt too much, i have watched too many things being blown up with airbags on youtube, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

lol - its no biggie, just disconnect the battery first!

yep those allen bolts are all that is holding on the central airbag unit then a large centre bolt, probably M30.

bit of a tough one if you've already stripped the bolts tho! u may be able to bash on a sharpened flat head stubby screwdriver with square drive end diagonally thru the allen head and then use a box wrench on the screwdriver sq drive end to remove...

Joey

Quote from: wankski on July 26, 2011, 01:49:42 PM
lol - its no biggie, just disconnect the battery first!

yep those allen bolts are all that is holding on the central airbag unit then a large centre bolt, probably M30.

bit of a tough one if you've already stripped the bolts tho! u may be able to bash on a sharpened flat head stubby screwdriver with square drive end diagonally thru the allen head and then use a box wrench on the screwdriver sq drive end to remove...
When I say stripped I mean wrecked the allen head, gives you an idea how tight they must be! (or some serious locktite)

wankski

ahh crap! are you sure they were hex? IIRC the 156 has torx...

not that it helps now...

how much of the head it left? is it basically a hollowed out cup? only option i see now is using a fine bit on a dremel or die grinder and filing out 2 notches and then use a big flat head to remove...

Joey

Quote from: wankski on July 26, 2011, 03:21:59 PM
ahh crap! are you sure they were hex? IIRC the 156 has torx...

not that it helps now...

how much of the head it left? is it basically a hollowed out cup? only option i see now is using a fine bit on a dremel or die grinder and filing out 2 notches and then use a big flat head to remove...
It is pretty impossible to tell, it could be hex. I have to have another try on the weekend, just the holes in the back of the 'spokes' are pretty small anyway. I could simply be putting it in the wrong hole so to speak.

colcol

You can get from an engineering supply places, devices called "ezyouts", you drill the screw out to about 70% of the diameter, then screw these in 'backwards' or left hand and when they 'bite' they screw out the rogue screw, thats the theory anyway, there are several types, it just depends how much space and access you have, Colin.

colcol

On second thoughts,... driving to work, i noticed there is not much room behind the steering wheel to start drilling, so, if the hollowed out head of the allen bolt or torx head is visible, try going to a engineering supply place and get a set of 'EZYOUTS' that have a spline on them, and they look like a torx or spline socket, and what you do is hammer them in to the stripped out head and it 'broaches' a spline into the bolt head, then you may be able to undo it, Colin.

colcol

Something else that may make the job easier, is when are about do undo the stuffed screw is spray some "FREEZE" spray, you spray it on the bolt, put the easyout on, and tighten, that is clockwise, then loosen the bolt, and the freezing of the bolt can sometimes make it budge, i have seen these products in trade flyers and though yeah yeah, and then ENZED of Bayswater got a frozen bolt out of a power steering unit for me, so under the right conditions it works, Colin.