alfa duk

Hi guys, do all 3 litre 75 transaxles have the lsd ? Doug
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Sheldon McIntosh

They did when new....

It's got longer gearing than the TS LSD.

Duk

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on July 12, 2011, 08:48:04 PM
It's got longer gearing than the TS LSD.

Can anybody provide a list of gear ratios for the various 75 gear box and diff ratios?
From what I've picked up over the years the difference between the various 75 TA's is the diff ratios. Notably the Potenziata has a lower diff ratio than the 'pre-Potenziata' 3 litre cars.

Duk

Numbers.

Paul Gulliver

That document notes the Aust / Swedish Alfa 75 TS as not having an LSD. They might want to phone a friend or check that one again.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

scott.venables

I don't think they should have clumped Australia in with Sweden, we didn't get the 1.6, 1.8 or non TS 2.0, and all our 3.0s had an LSD.

Scott

alfa duk

OK gents, i have the 75 transaxle but it is not lsd.  Is it possible that it is a 75 gearbox in a gtv6 transaxle. Is it a straight bolt up proceedure to swap the box? Doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Darryl

You do realise it was only the 3L and the TS 75s that were LSD? 2.5 V6 is open.
If you can be a bit more precise on what you have (what transaxle, what car and in particular tailshaft and what the dedion/half shafts are from) you will be able to get some specific advice re swapping. But in brief, the major external variations in alfa transaxles can be summarised as follows (basically working front to rear):

Clutch input / tailshaft flange - one size for Alfetta 2L and 75 TS, another for V6

Input shaft on gearbox - same but sleeve on which throwout bearing slides 2 different diameters (V6 vs 2L)

Clutch push vs pull type (and corrsponding location of slave cylinder etc)

Selector shaft - short version with pin for isostatic shifter on 75s, longer version splined for alfetta type selector

Speedo drive - mechanical gear drive vs magentic pulse electronic - internally different - not a simple swap

Output shaft flanges - all same PCD, but V6 has M10 thread, all 4 cylinders M8

The above is almost right - there were some differences in early Alfettas / GTs (pre about 1978) - I think the output flanges on those were M10...

There is quite a lot of mixing and matching possible (but not everything...).

alfa duk

Thanks Darryl,  I bought the transaxle and it had 3.0 / 75  written on the gearbox section but it wasnt lsd. Maybe its just a gtv6 box? I will check it out over the weekend. Doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Darryl

Is it possible the LSD centre has been replaced with an open one? Or is it just worn? How did you tell it wasn't LSD? The pinion + crownwheel are matched and the pinion is on the end of the mainshaft - no simple way to swap the "gearbox" only given the pinion is part of it.