Are there any performance clutch upgrades for the V6 transaxle?

Started by shiny_car, November 22, 2021, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

I'm interested to know what performance clutch upgrades are available for my 3.0 75.  Ultimately, my future engine upgrades will hopefully yield a 30% increase in power and torque, resulting in about 180kW and 300Nm.

I don't know how well the stock clutch will handle this.  However, the car will only be a street car, not a track/race car, so it obviously won't be needing to handle full power/torque regularly; more likely hardly at all.  Regardless...

So, I want a 'steetable' clutch (ie: smooth and easy to engage) that won't fail quickly.

Thus far, I've found nothing.   :(

Performatek (US) have upgrades on their website, and years gone by, people have found their clutch disc options good.  But early this year, Andy, who runs the online store, went MIA.  I placed an order for other parts, and they were never dispatched, so after 4 months, I finally received a refund via PayPal.  So this is not an option.

I found a brand called SPEC (US) who offers various Stage upgrades, but alas, when I contacted them a few weeks ago, they no longer have a supply of parts to build them.

Other brands - like Exedy - only list options for the 2.0, and not the 2.5/3.0 V6.

Does anyone have any leads?  If I can source something, then I can proceed with having the clutch flywheel lightened and clutch unit balanced, which I want to do before reassembling the whole gearbox/transaxle/De Dion.

TIA.
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

105gta

Hi shiny-car,  any decent clutch builder should be able to put one together for you. My guy here in Brisbane recently built one for a 300hp 75 24v which felt like a standard clutch but easily handled the power. Most internet options will be a ceramic pick type clutch which will drive you crazy on the road.
I see that you're in Melbourne so I'd suggest contacting Vin Sharp at Pace engineering as I'm sure he would have a solution for you.
If you get stuck, let me know and I can help out but I'm sure Vin would be far more convienient for you.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

rowan_bris

I wouldn't bother changing the clutch.  My 3.2 GTV has a standard 75 clutch and it is fine.

shiny_car

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.  I haven't contacted Vin Sharp because I am under the impression he has retired.  I have a few leads that I can follow up.

Quote from: rowan_bris on November 22, 2021, 09:52:04 PM
I wouldn't bother changing the clutch.  My 3.2 GTV has a standard 75 clutch and it is fine.

^^^ this is good to know.  If this is the case, then perhaps I won't sweat over it much, and if there's nothing readily available, I can just use the original.

:)

Duk

I tried to find it on his website, but couldn't.
Richard Jemison often mentioned using a full face kevlar clutch disc with a solid (IE: non-sprung) centre.
Reason being, the solid centre is significantly lighter and makes it easier for the synchros to do their job. And there is enough absorption in the tailshaft's 3 rubber couplings to take up low speed engine pulsations and shock loads from initial clutch engagement.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

shiny_car

Thanks Duk.  I will contact him and see what his advice is.

Cheers.