GTA water pump

Started by bteoh, June 16, 2011, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Hi,
My car is in for a timing belt change and at the same time, a water pump change as well. I read in the UK website that the GTAs came with the plastic impeller and it is preferable to change to the steel ones. Anyone have any experience with these and are the steel ones readily available in Oz?
If not available here, any problems using the OEM plastic impellers?
Cheers :)

L4OMEO

Hi

The updated steel one is absolutely preferable, and they should be readily available. Not sure it was ever fitted as standard to the GTA (it wasn't to the 156 2.5 V6), depending on this it may/may not appear as a listed part for your car. I know it was fitted to the GTV V6, and the GTV item will fit the GTA.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

colcol

The biggest cost in changing the waterpump is removing everything to get at it!, the plastic impellors [fans], crack, and at high revs, such as on the freeway they spin on the rapidly rotating shaft and don't shift any water through, and  your car will overheat, round town the impellor doesn't slip as much, and the car is less prone to overheating, i saw some V-6 waterpumps on ebay for about $150, in Australia, most likely cheaper from England, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

the plastic ones have been phased out.... if you buy a new one, u'll get a metal one, unless its very old stock...

http://www.ebspares.co.uk/PNF/PNF.cfm?id=/alfa_156/25__32_Water_pump/info.cfm&CFID=555830&CFTOKEN=8df8ce2c4aa6cdcb-6034A3FD-155D-210D-9B712B628A848A48&jsessionid=f03071c17e61f8aaaffd3aa306b1f4727722

its about $100+shipping, see if your mech will let you supply it... the metal one, once replaced will be a life item most likely during your ownership of the car....

bteoh

Thanks for the updates and info guys......
Dealer is charging $2100 for timing belt and water pump.....ouch

shiny_car

That's about right, with the dealer supplying the parts.

When I had my GT done, I bought all the parts from EB Spares, UK, as referred to above, which saved about $400 IIRC. Aside from the belt - because it's the principle part, I had the dealer supply this, for reasons of warranty (ie: if it snaps prematurely). However, a quality belt would be either Gates (they make the OE belt AFAIK) or Dayco.

Parts list is possibly longer than you expect:
*cambelt
*tensioner
*idler x2
*metal impeller water pump (should be supplied with a gasket)
*cam cover gaskets x2
*spark plug well gaskets x6

Optional:
*ancillary belt (alternator, aircon, PS)
*ancillary belt idlers/tensioner

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey