Recommendations for fasteners in Melbourne?

Started by Evan Bottcher, June 12, 2011, 08:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Hi folks,

I've had a few recommendations in the past for places to visit to get replacement bolts, nuts, screws to match parts on the GTV.  I don't remember any of them, though.

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a large stock of shapes and sizes, finishes etc.  Preferably within reasonable distance to Brunswick.

thanks,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Barry Edmunds

Evan
EI Engineering, Newlands Road Reservior - Good guys and they stock a very comprehensive range of steel and stainless steel bolts, nuts screws etc. Open Saturday morning.

Champion Parts 205 Arden Street North Melbourne (opposite Nth Melbourne football ground) stock an extensive range of bolts, nuts, screws, clips (good for headlights). Some of their range is also available at places like Repco, Burson etc. Not open Saturday morning.

Stuart Thomson

Keables in A'Beckett street in the city.  $20 minimum spend though, they have every fastener known to man, or at least a very large range.

colcol

Seriously, if Keables don't have it doesn't have it, it doesn't exist, they are that good, a few weeks ago i needed a BSF thread, after 2 hours on the phone, they were the only ones in Melbourne that had it, for metric threads on Alfa's, it should be easy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Waughs in Malvern st. Bayswater, across the road from Monza Motors are very good, AA Industrial in Bayswater i have always found to be very helpfull, although these places are a long way from Brunswick, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

David Mills

Bit parochial here but Nuts & Bolt Tasmania in Moonah are outstanding.

Evan Bottcher

Thanks heaps for the recommendations.  Keep adding if anyone has more - they'll be useful to someone.

I'll probably go to Keables next week, as I can go on the way to work.  They state a $27.50 (inc GST) minimum charge on their website... meh.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Stuart Thomson

They always have something interesting on or behind the counter for about $25.  Last time I was there I got a set of Torx bits which have already come in handy on a couple of occasions.

Ash Gordon

I drive the past a place on the way to work - United Fasteners on Centre Road, Springvale.

I  haven't checked it out as yet, has anyone tried them ? It's just up the road from Imlachs wreckers

http://www.unitedfasteners.com.au
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Repco Lad

Ash

I've been in there a few times. Pretty much your standard fair as nuts and bolts go.

What you find with franchised type operations like costless bolts/ united fasteners etc is that they carry plenty of the fast moving stock, and less to minimal of the unique stuff on the shelves- ie faster turning inventory = better cashflow.

Tried them when looking for a 1.5mm thread repair kit. Response: we don't carry that one in stock, but we can order it.

Places like Keables etc are the biz, as they have the depth of range.

I will say that Champions in Arden Street have a superb range of panel clips/ trim clips/ cable ties etc, as they supply to the body repair trade.
They have a showroom with all the parts on display so you can match up your parts before you buy.

RL

colcol

Bayswater Bolts in Canterbury Rd, Bayswater, in the same strip as Bursons and Pirtec are good too, purchased 2 M10-75 bolts for a couple of dollars, no min spend, quite helpfull too, Colin.

blah57

K & K Steel Hasting. If they dont have it they will get it and fast. No minimum spend. Good to deal with.
BLAH57