147 outside temperature thermistor

Started by dipper, May 20, 2011, 02:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

My 147 has had the outside temperature thermistor removed from the driver's side mirror, as I believe it was misbehaving. The local dealer, Alfa mechanics and the three spare parts places I've talked to say I need a new mirror to be able to have a new thermistor, but from what I've read on other forums it is easy (and quite cheap) to replace the thermistor. So my question has anybody done that, exactly which model thermistor is right, or does anyone just have any comments on such an installation? Not actually having the sensor I'm not even sure exactly what the original installation looks like, so a pic or two would help too.
Got:
2001 Alfa 147 TS
1989 Alfa 75
Had:
1976 Alfetta
1981 Alfasud
1983 Alfasud

colcol

I often wondered what that was on the mirror!, a know-it-all at work said it was to press when the Alfa won't start and it calls the serviceman, there are some thermisters for sale on ebay, you would have to get a compact one that would fit the orifice in the mirror and the correct temperature range and you could always try Jaycar as they are always quite helpfull, or maybe try a Alfa wrecker to see what a good secondhand one costs, or have a look at one and see what type of thermister it has, an outside temperature readout sounds silly, but i find them really usefull to see how hot or cold it is and given you a warning at 3 degrees of possible ice on the road, let us know how you get on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I noticed in their catalogue that Jaycar sell a outside temperature kit for cars for about $25, it must have some sort of thermister, you could have a look at one of those, does your 147 keep giving you error warnings now that the thermister has been removed?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dipper

No error messages - just a reading of 25º or occasionally 24.5º.
I have noticed the Jaycar unit but would prefer to get the proper system working.
Got:
2001 Alfa 147 TS
1989 Alfa 75
Had:
1976 Alfetta
1981 Alfasud
1983 Alfasud

Steve S

tony8028

My outside temp gauge is never accurate, but i kind of think its a bit of a useless feature. I am more interested in the temp inside the car and luckily the a/c and heating in my 147 is brilliant - very un-alfa like!
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

Steve S

I mirror heats up in the sun so it alwasy reads a little high during sunny months. It is a bit of a gimmic really although I do like it!

colcol

It is a bit gimmiky, when you get in the car on a stinking hot day the temperature will read 50c, but drive it a kilometer and it will cool down, and you will be sitting in your car complaining about bloody rubbish Alfa Romeo airconditioning, the temperature will be showing say 40c, so you relize its hot outside baby, so cut the aircon some slack, also the loud "BONG" chime you get at 3c warning of possible ice on road certainly grabs your attention, have overseas forums talked about thermister replacements, it might be worth to have a look, Colin.

colcol

Seen a thermister for a BMW on a American ebay site for $25 + delivery, Colin.

dipper

I bought a thermistor from Jaycar yesterday for $1.35.
Now I need to sort out how to mount it in the mirror as the original fitting has been removed. Then just a bit of soldering is needed.
I'm definitely not buying a whole new mirror (which needs to come from Italy) from Prestige for $600!
Even a quote for a second hand mirror from Melbourne was $400.
Or I could get one from England for just 120 pounds.
But $1.35 sounds cheaper to me and fixes the problem (or so I believe).
Got:
2001 Alfa 147 TS
1989 Alfa 75
Had:
1976 Alfetta
1981 Alfasud
1983 Alfasud

colcol

You gotta luv Jaycar, they are Dick Smith of the old days before they turned into Hardley Normal, before you mount the thermister, wire it up and 'gaffer tape' it to the mirror to see if it actually works and all the resistance is ok, other wise you may spend hours mounting it to the mirror, and the electrical bits won't work, Colin.