Practicalities in owning a 159

Started by twistybits, May 18, 2011, 12:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diglad

hi twistybits,
my mazda rx8 fell on its sword when our twins arrived (no boot space) making way for the 2010 159TBi Ti. i had the same dilemma but decided i wouldn't be caught dead driving a commodore or suv. my twins are 2 years old and their seats fit nicely in the back and are very easy to install and remove (a tip here is get a baby seat with the european isofix system) plenty of room, but like an earlier post mentioned their feet do rub the front seats. boot space is great, can easily fit the pram and other supplies. probably would have opted for the wagon if i had my time over.

highly recommend the 1.75L turbo, great performance, not quite the rx8 but a satisfying compromise.

sedlar

Quote from: bix on August 31, 2011, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: sedlar on August 26, 2011, 10:48:25 PM
We have already had 2 timing chains replaced (after noting sluggishness)

Hi Sedlar. How was this diagnosed to a stretched chain? You've got me wondering about my 159 now with sluggishness...
Apparently, the diagnostics computer had found the fault, which was noted as "stretched".  The second time it was replaced was due to an inaccurate service instruction whereby the tensioner was not replaced at the same time the chain was - hence the problem 'reappeared'.  I was without the car for a good three days each time! All is fine now though, except the tram railing is really starting to bother me.  It is such a task to drive at times, having to correct the sudden jerks to this side and that.

sedlar

In addition, I had three mechanics drive the car until one agreed it was sluggish and unresponsive.  Then did the diagnostic test and found the timing chain out of whack! :-\

colcol

When you said the timing chain was out of whack, did you mean it had jumped a tooth or had it stretched and now the the timing is out or maybe the tensioner is worn out and is not tensioning properly, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Polyal

Instead if starting a new thread I thought Id ask the questions here...

We have 3 kids...4, 2 and 1 month, so that means three baby seats. Will the 159 handle this?

We will be looking at a 2.4 TDi, manual, anything to look for in particular? What kind of consumption should we expect?

Im also worried about servicing and parts, is the 159 more "common" that previous Alfas..any issues there?

We have managed with a Mk5 VW Golf before the the seats fit..but getting the the middle one is a bit of a hassle. I have seen one for sale that mentioned they have two kids with another on the way and our looking at upgrading, which had me worried for second row space.

As they are all young I am not worried about leg room, more shoulder..anyone know the dimensions? Thanks.

shiny_car

It will depends on the width of your child seats and capsule.

The width of the rear seat isn't too bad, but having child seats and capsule side-side will be a squeeze unless they are slim versions.

Not a great deal of legroom in the back. We could only (practically) fit the capsule and rear-facing seat in the centre of the car. If you fit these behind one of the front seats, the front seat will need to be moved a fair way forwards and/or sit the back squab very upright; this will not be comfortable for an adult unless short or on short trips only.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Joe Garra

Agree, we had two toddler seats in the back, and there is no way a third seat would fit in between them. A small kid could sit between the seats, but it was squeezy, and none of your kids are old enough to not be in a booster.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I have an ISOFIX baby seat in my 159 and the leg room for the front passenger is fine.  You wouldn't get 3 of these across the rear seat of a 159.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

tony8028

i am actually in the process of selling my gorgeous 147 in favour of a boring soccer-mum SUV which will be more practical for our new baby.

I could think about an Alfa wagon but I dont want to be worried every time the baby spews or drops their food all over the seats....which I would if i owned another Alfa.

Instead I will be a little 33 as a run around to have some fun with.
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual