156 GTA Rear spoiler

Started by Genghis, May 12, 2011, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghis

Hi folks,

I have noticed a couple of 156s running around the place with a nice low (sylish) rear boot spoiler.  Did the 156 GTA ever have that rear spoiler as a factory option?

Cheers

Genghis

dehne

I would have thought the gta came with a full factory body kit,
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Dna Dave

Go on to the Autodelta uk web site, you can get them there.

Dave
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Genghis

Thanks Dave.  I do have to find out whether it was an option in Aus before I can run it under 3E regs.

Genghis

shiny_car

GTAs did not have boot spoilers as standard.

Most 'factory' boot spoilers were Zender, of which there were 3 types:
1. high 'hoop' version

2. low rise version

3. lip

The hoops were popular back in their day, but haven't aged well! The lip spoilers were rare, but I had one on my TS 156 when I spec'd the full Zender kit. The low rise versions are probably most common.

Zender went bust some years ago, so finding one will be difficult.

Various versions are available from alfisti.net, GER. They are great to deal with, so I don't hesitate to recommend them if you want tuning parts.
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-156/Body-Styling-Ver1:::1_15_78.html

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Brad M

I like the 3rd spoiler.

Genghis, does the spoiler have to have been a factory option, or just a dealer fitted option?

Not sure how you'd validate (and hence supply evidence) if it was a dealer-fitted option, if that is what you need. Someone may know.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

vin sharp

One of the finer design points of the 156 GTA when it was released, was the claim that the rear under tray/exit venturi beneath the rear bumper was specifically designed to actually create downforce with out the added drag of a boot mounted spoiler.
On the road I reckon the 156 GTA body kit as it is, is by far one of the nicer and less extrovert on recent cars. Not that it applies to racing specifically, but then we all know spoilers make cars go faster anyway-; especially in the supermarket carpark or kerbside at the school drop off zone......will probably stop your rear wheels from spinning and overheating the tyres!!  ;) ;D

dehne

with the 2nd pic there were 2 types one was a more standard rear wing and then the monza kit was different, the both look the same but 1 is about 1 to 2 inches taller than the other, i cant remember which is which but i think the monza was the taller. all the 156 gta's that i have seen and have talked to their owner got a lets call it "factory" kit when the brought it new, im sure someone has a gta brocher that states you could get it from the dealer, just remembered when the gta first came out they put a large poster in i think the herald sun and it had a full kit on it so if they advertised it like that it should be fine to use one
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Genghis

This is all good info and thanks for the pictures.  In my research I have seen a couple of racing shots in a 'production' series where the spoiler in pic 1 was used.  I think you will find that for it to be affective as an aero device you have to get it as far as is reasonable away from the rest of the airflow of a sedan.  Just take a look at where the spoiler sits on the ETCC 156s and you will see what I mean.

The reality is that for racing purposes here in Aus it will probably be more of an aesthetic thing (for sponsors) rather than a performance gain.  The only places that we go to that have long high speed corners are Eastern Creek and Phillip Island.  There is also the occasional hit out at Mt Panorama as well. 

'Factory options and homologation' are a weird and wonderful thing and very 'grey'.  If the spoiler was available from a dealer at the tiime that the cars were on sale I could probably get it through with some dealer options brochure etc.   As I said it is an area that is open to interpretation.  I know of some Hondas (not mine) that have Mugen cams fitted (Mugen does the go fast work for Honda) and they would argue black and blue that its 'factory'.  All I need to do is see if there is some N-Technology cams for the 3.2 V6 and put them in under the same 'factory backed' argument!  :D

Cheers

Genghis

colcol

And back in the 90's when Alfa Romeo was running the 155 in the British Touring car series, the standard looking rear spoilers did nothing until the Factory Alfa team put 50mm spacers under the spoiler mounts, put the spoilers up in the airflow where they did their best work and turned all the other makes into catfood, how did Alfa get away with this?, the homoligated cars had the 50mm spacers sold with the car, and they where wrapped up in plastic in the boot and it was up to the driver whether they took them out of the boot and used them, or not!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

Ah yes, Alfa 155 Silverstone spoiler!

Alfastumper also offer a number of spoilers, some horrid!  :o
http://alfastumper.dk/oscommerce_st/catalog/index.php?cPath=270_1_17

But like alfisti.net, they are great to deal with: reliable, good shipping costs, etc.

Genghis

Thanks folks, this again is all great info.  What I need to find now is as stated above a factory sales brochure (Oz one) that lists it as an option from the dealer.  I have found one on Ebay and even though the auction has closed I have asked if they still have the brochure.  Will let you know how I go.

Genghis

dehne

i will check all the brochures i have for you tomorrow
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

shiny_car

Quote from: Genghis on May 16, 2011, 07:31:30 PMI have found one on Ebay and even though the auction has closed I have asked if they still have the brochure.

If that was the one from 'MM', please shop around, and not pay an excessive amount unless you particularly want that colour. Does it even come with the fitting bolts/screws?

Perhaps check with the guys at The Italian Job. They should have boot spoilers, but it's a matter of what style you want.

Personally, I prefer the GTA without a boot spoiler. Plus, there really isn't a 'genuine' GTA item, so you can arguably fit whatever spoiler you want, if you really want one.

Genghis

Hi Shiny_car. My fault for not being more specific.  The Ebay auction I was referring to was for the factory GTA brochure not the spoiler itself.  Sorry to mislead.

Cheers

Genghis