Failed HID light controller

Started by MJF, August 20, 2011, 06:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJF

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I found the drivers side Xenon light had failed.  The fuses checked out ok so a replacement Philips bulb was ordered, the front bar taken off and the light removed only to find that it was not the bulb at all but a fried controller circuit.  I was far more disappointed to find that this little unit costs ~$1000 from Alfa.  A second hand part could not be sourced and the wreckers were surprised (and a little upset) to find out the cost of this item which could have no doubt been salvaged from many a damaged light.

On the flip side, I am hoping that this will be covered by the warranty I took out on the car.  Also I suspect that the Philips bulb which was to replaced the original would have had a visible difference in colour temp and intensity.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience?  What replacement HID bulbs have you used?

Cheers
Michael
1974 Mazda RX-4 Coupe [in pieces]
2002 Peugeot 307 XSE [past]
2004 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA [daily driver]

shiny_car

Most commonly it's the fuses, and globes tend to last very well.

But, as in your situation, the ballast is next to fail. However, I've read it's often due to corrosion of the circuity, which can subsequently short against the casing. Some people have successfully opened up the ballast, cleaned the circuits carefully, and re-assembled (applying something like silicone around the edge as a seal); and all working again.

Has yours been properly tested (not that I know exactly how) to confirm something is actually fried? If not, perhaps open it up and have a look.

I'd be surprised if wreckers were not clued in, into the cost of OE ballasts. But, if you need a replacement, continue trying different wreckers. Another option should be to use a ballast from a different marque of car. There will be a limited number of manufacturers for ballasts; many will be rebadged as another brand, or shared amongst different marques. Hence, there's a good chance you can use one from an Audi, VW, Honda, etc. You may just need to modify the plugs, if at all.

Therefore, if you're a 'hands-on' type of person, you should be able to achieve a relatively cheap fix. But if you're relying on a dealer/wrecker/mechanic...yes, could be costly.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey