Superlite Wheels on Alfa 75

Started by hammer, August 17, 2007, 01:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Hi there,

Just wondering if any 75 owners can give me feedback on the superlite wheels by Performance Wheels. I want to order a set for my Twinspark for the track but there seems a bit of conjecture over the correct offset. Performance makes the 15x7 wheel in both 112mm and 125mm offset. I hear that the 125mm has trouble clearing the brake caliper and the 112mm clears the caliper fine but scrubs the guard. Does anyone have any experience with these wheels that they can throw my way? For the record, I plan to run 205/50 R15 tyres.

Thanks,

Brent

hammer

Hi there chaps,

If anyone is interested, I'll answer my own question here, as I've gone ahead and experimented via trial and error. I purchased the 112mm offset Performance Superlites. The hub still scraped on the front calipers of my Twinspark 75, so I had them machined down from 160mm diameter to 140mm. Also had to machine down 25mm to make sure it cleared the front of the caliper. Machining cost me $35/rim.

I then fitted them with 205/50 R15 Dunlop DZ03G tyres. The tyres scraped on the inside of the bumper and the guard flair. With a race to run last Saturday I took to the bumper and guards with the grinder on Friday night to trim off the offending plastic and metal. All was sweet as a nut on Saturday and I picked up five seconds around Qld raceway's Clubman circuit over my previous PB with former stock suspension set up and road tyres.

Unfortunately the NSW boys took away the silverware in the Qld vs NSW East Coast Challenge but a great weekend was had by all.

Regards,

Brent

alfagtv58

Hi Brent,

I have just ordered a set of Panasport wheels for my Alfetta, there was a bit of to and fro about the correct offset, I ended up with +7mm and I will have to run some spacers around 15-20mm.  On my 75 I am running the 5 spoke wheels from the 156, all that needs doing to these is machining out the centre a bit, they rub slightly on full lock but not really an issue.

Sounds like the East coast challenge was a lot of fun, with a bit of luck I will get up there next year so we have some Victorian representation too!  I want to see what those bumps are like coming into turn 1 ::)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hammer

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. The East Coast Challenge was an absolute ball. Being a first time racer, as opposed to sprinting, I had no idea what I was in for but now can't wait to get amongst it again.

It would be great to see you guys up here next year. Our competition secretary, Ken Percival is talking about speaking with your guys and the NSW boys about a three state, three meeting challenge for next year. I hope it comes off. I'm sure the convoy to Victoria would be half the fun.

Brent