Alfa Comp point score update & May 22 sprints

Started by hammer, May 04, 2011, 01:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Queenslanders,

The latest Alfa Comp points table is up on the website for all to see. Here's a link: http://www.arocaqld.com/cms/madcms/contentFiles/alfa_comp_pointscore.pdf

KP still leads the way from Jacko, with Chucky in third. Yours truly finally made onto the points tally for 2011.

Don't forget we have our next sprint round coming up very soon, on Sunday, May 22 at Lakeside. With the weather cooling and the competition heating up this should be a super competitive sprint round. Get your entry form in ASAP to avoid Qld Raceways' late fees. Here's a link to enter online: https://secure.nsane.net.au/qr/entry_form_street_sprint.php

I haven't tried the online entry yet - going to give it a crack today. If we get enough entries in by next Friday (May 13) we'll be able to convince QR to give us our own group!

See you all at the track. Brent.

MD

Hammer,

How come Andrew Wilson's name isn't there? Isn't he competing this year?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

He's definitely running in the East Coast Challenge and says he might dust off the GTV for the sprint round just to blow out the cobwebs. He bought some earthmoving equipment and between that and his plumbing business has been working like a trojan since the floods in January.

Hopefully we'll get a good turn out at this sprint round. A Sunday afternoon in May at Lakeside - it should be sensational weather for driving the pants off a transaxle Alfa!!

MD

That's excellent. I love to see his transaxle at the pointy end. I will definitely be there spectating.

My car has just had its prelimenary dyno so its running but there are some bugs I have to attend to other than engine as a result of the tuning. ie the exhaust has to be reworked, throttle linkages refined and a bunch of small niggly things so hopefully it wont be much longer before we are running.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't contemplate doing any testing of a new car on a track like Lakeside but would be happy to run there once its all sorted. Regrettably, 22 May is just too short and so spectating is the best I can do for now.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Mike,

Glad to hear the new machine is coming along. i had a chat with Scott at Fat Pipes today to explain that the headers they made me last year have pushed peak torque up too high in the rev range. Have the Joolie booked in for May 23 to have a new set made (strictly to Vin Sharps specs). Fingers crossed the new pipes and a fresh dyno run will have the red devil pushing Andrew's GTV to the limit come East Coast Challenge time. If the piggy bank will spit out enough coins I might also buy a new short 5th gear from Vin and have it installed before ECC. Nothing worse than grabbing that tall 5th down the straight at Lakeside and losing all momentum. Aaah, first world problems...

Cheers,

Brent

MD

I know we are getting off topic but I thought it wont hurt the promotion cause to keep the topic alive a little longer...

Yeah, that low down torque band is all important for twisty circuits and Lakeside has it all. To get past Andrew you might need the help of a sneaky nitro tank me thinks.. ;D ( but I like the way you're thinking - never say die.)

For the Cab, I made a set of headers that suit the rest of the street engine specs to get the best out of what it naturally has already. What the dyno shows is that it makes modest power but the torque is almost flat for 3000 rpm which is great.

Here's a pic of them. The specs are 914.4mm long by 41.275mm O.D. As you can see from their dimensions, they are designed for early and "bottom end" torque. I am not suggesting this for you as my engine peaks out at 6K.

BTW. I would suggest getting Vin's specs for the secondary pipe as well while you are at it so as to have a "tuned system" as opposed to just a good component to an exhaust.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Mr D,

A beautiful piece of craftsmanship as usual.

I'll get Vin's recommendation on how much to reduce the secondary pipe. Scott from Fat Pipes recommended reducing the secondaries by 1/8 also. Hopefully by keeping the lengths the same and reducing the OD by 1/8 all round, we should move peak torque down 700-800 rpm. Which would put it about where it used to be when I bought the car from Jim.

And I don't need Nitro to keep pace with Andrew, I need bigger gonads! Jools is just as quick in a straight line, it's just the terrifying pace he carries through corners and the ease with which he collects the damned thing when it gets out of shape. Still, he debuted at Lakeside at 30 years ago (at 17!) and I debuted at Lakeside 2 years ago, so I have some catching up to do.

Cheers.