Legal Outboard Rear Brakes?

Started by Duk, July 11, 2011, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Does anybody know any anything about making outboard brakes legal for the TA cars? While I haven't given up yet, my rear brake upgrade of Wilwood vented rotors and rear Mazda RX7 Turbo calipers isn't going to be fun to mount, let alone get access to the bleed nipples and come up with a means of making the hand brake work  :-\.

djm411

Not sure about the road legality but you could convert the handbrake to hydraulic, could solve 1 problem, just a thought anyway.

colcol

Hydraulic handbrakes are illegal on road cars, as they have to be a solid linkage setup, not hydraulic as it may leak and the handbrake would fail, and the car would roll down a hill, causing all sorts of mayhem, HOWEVER, a hydaulic handbrake would be better than that inboard rubbish, just a pity you would not get a roadworthy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Duk

I gave up on the idea of having a hydraulic hand brake a while ago. It would definitely make life easier as you could use front calipers from a smallish car with vented front rotors, but the whole 'slow drop off of pressure over time' did not inspire confidence.
Any suggestions for engineers here in South Oz to make something like this legal?

Sheldon McIntosh

Don't quote me, but I was under the impression that any brake change still had to utilise the original mounting points?  If that was the case I guess it would be impossible to legally fit outboards.

I'd be happy to be wrong about that, I would love to fit outboards on my cars legally.

Duk

Buzzed on AlfaBB has mentioned on his Twincharged thread that he is planning to go outboard brakes and that his engineer recons there won't be any legal issues. In all of my forum trolling, I haven't seen any mention of engineers in South Oz that do approval work for that sort of thing  ???

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Storm_X on July 12, 2011, 06:41:50 PM
i am going out board on my track can and if all goes well, i might even try it on my daily. Im not sure if the cops will pick on it as they wont have a clue.

You'll be fine then.  Also, insurance assessors and accident investigators do not have a clue, and have no experience looking at welds.  Good luck!!

scuzzyGTV

QuoteIn all of my forum trolling, I haven't seen any mention of engineers in South Oz that do approval work for that sort of thing 

your department of infrastructure/transport should have a list of accredited engineers on their website, well at least tassies does!
81 GTV 2.0 - Red