Changing SparkPlugs on a 156 TwinSpark

Started by bix, April 01, 2011, 09:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Last weekend I changed my sparkplugs on the TwinSpark, and thought I'd put together a summary of how to do it for anyone thinking about it. The manual says they should be replaced after 100,000km's. As mine has done 106k, I thought it was time.

Tools:
Torx (star pattern driver) tool - from memory size T40 (5.52mm - go figure).
16mm Spark Plug socket
Ratchet extension

1. Remove the top cover using your Torx tool.
2. Once the cover is removed, you're faced with what looks seriously complex - however it's just a case of a. removing two screws on the top of the metal plate, b. removing the single one at the bottom of the plate, c. loosen the rubber plugs connected to the spark plugs by a bit of jiggling and hey-presto the plate with the rubber plugs all remove nicely.
3. It's then a matter of using your 16mm socket with an extension to remove the spark plugs and replace with the new ones. Note: each chamber uses two different types of plug, so replace like for like. 
4. Put everything back in reverse order.

bix

Old vs New

lombardi

Well done bix,looks like a full on job for something that should be straight forward,removing the engine cover plus,u saved heaps on mechanix bills ,id be interested to hear how much labour they would charge.rgrds
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

wankski

haha, LOL...

i was about to say, why post this for a TS? its straight forward as any car (good show tho bix)

BS for something that ought to be straight-forward = v6 spark plugs mate...

bix

Well the last engine I worked on was from a 105 series, so all this additional modern stuff can be frightening! I know it's about zero on the scale of difficulty, but thought it might be useful for someone - anyone?

wankski

nah, it's useful mate - i'm sure many here will feel encouraged to do it themselves!!

;)

i know what u mean, individual coils certainly look more complex, and there are dinky covers these days - under the crap, it's the same thing!

8)