Flashing Odometer

Started by Steve S, March 15, 2011, 12:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S

Why would my Odometer be flashing at me?  ???

Evan Bottcher

Save us searching, what model of car have you got Steve?

Assuming you've got a 147 or 156, try this link... (edit: no I see in another post you have a 147, link adjusted)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alfa+147+flashing+odometer

On two minutes research, I suggest it's an electrical problem and the ECU is unable to contact a component on the CAN bus.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

shiny_car

The most common reason is from starting the engine before the ECU has completed its routine 'check'. It does not necessarily mean there's a problem.

I bet, next time you start the car, it'll be normal. Each time you go to start it, turn the ignition key to ON (MAR) and PAUSE before cranking it. Routinely, all the error lights come on in the dash during the check, then they go off (excl handbrake, etc). 'Check' is now completed, and you can start the engine. Most people do this without thinking, and don't realise there is meant to be a 'process' for starting the car.

Let us know if you still have the flashing odo. There are other reasons for it, relating to CANBUS errors.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Steve S

Sorry its a 147

It did it in the weekend once. I will watch how I start the car in future and hope it does not return. Thanks

bix

A good hug sometimes helps

colcol

It may be a good question to ask at the 932 Technical Workshop night at Maranello Pur Sang motors in May, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

John Hanslow

Colin, back to this as on the weekend I suddenly noticed the odometer flashing.  I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the engine off - and restarted it again.

Good to know what causes this.  Must be a 147 and GT fault.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

shiny_car

If it's due to an incomplete 'check' then it's not a fault. ;) Except of the driver.  :P :D

ANG156

On my parents 159 (1 1/2 years old), the odometer was flashing, temperature on the info display was not showing, every door apart from driver's couldn't be open from the outside (even after pressing unlock) and the window switches on the driver's side wouldnt work at all. I initially thought a fuse was blown but my dad checked it and it had power. He checked a few other things later, then took the door plug (where the wires go through to connect the door and main body), clean them up put it back together and all functioned perfectly once more. I know it may be off topic but my point is little things can throw up a lot of problems.

shiny_car

For sure. Flashing odo suggests a possible CANBUS fault. If the flashing odo 'goes away' next time you start the car 'properly', then I doubt there's going to be a fault. But, connection to Alfadiag or Examiner diagnostic software can check for faults.