Alfa 147 A/C - Amazing!

Started by tony8028, March 13, 2011, 01:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony8028

I never thought i'd see the day in an Alfa where the A/C was TOO cold!

Having owned 164s, 75s and 33s....all which had pathetic a/c that really did nothing more than circulate warm air while zapping power from the engine, i have the say air in my 2004 147 is bloody amazing, even in this awful extended sydney summer.

I have heard that they didnt quite have the same success with the 156 range from the same era....

Just wondering in other 147 owners get as good results from their a/c or did i strike it lucky? Its not a feature that Alfa are renowned for.

Tony
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

ANG156

Yeah 147 aircon is good compared to the 156.

colcol

Its all to do with the vent sizes, i think that the 147 has 2 large vents in the centre of the dash where on the 156 JTS they have a information screen and 2 small vents on either side of the screen and the eyeball vents on either side are bigger than on the 156, when you are stinking hot you need good airflow and thats what you get on a 147, although i reckon that the compressor, condensor and evaporator are most likely the same on a 147 and 156, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

This was one reason I bought a 147 over a 156. Yeah It's even better than the A/C in my dads Falcon.

John Hanslow

Good size vents and they are fully adjustable and swivel too.  NO troubles with my 156 but always parked in the shade and had cloth seats.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

tony8028

Its not just the vents, as good as they are, but the actual air is like ice....i am really impressed !

My only complaint is that as soon as you turn it on , The fan start at FULL rather than starting on low and letting user turn it up as required....not a huge deal.

I am also doubtful how acurate the seperate temp controls are....i know the temp that is given on my dash (for outside temp) is always way off..

Still, bloody awesome little car.
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

Davidm1600

Guys and I do speak from the basis of never having previously owned a car with AC, but obviously driven heaps over the years, and yes I also recognise that Tassie's weather is perhaps a little cooler, albeit that during hot weather (it does actually get hot here sometimes :) ), and I also acknowledge that the design of the vents is different and possibly not as good in the 156 as the 147, but I too have found at times the AC in my '03 JTS 156 Sportwagon too cold even on hot days. 

So, my conclusion is that Alfa learnt from the system used in the earlier model 156 and upgraded it in the later series, such that apart from the eyeball vents on the dash it is actually quite comparable with the 147 or later model Alfas.   
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

The eyeball vents on the 156's don't adjust enough, they rotate 360 degrees, but they only adjust up and down 90 degrees, where they would be much better if they adjusted 180 degrees, then if the steering wheel wasn't in the way you could direct it to your face, a project for me one day will be to pull the eyeball vents out and modify them to adjust up and down 180 degrees, i have an old 156 vent and i think i could achieve it if only i knew how to pull the eyeball vent out of the dash without damaging it!, and also, i think if i was so inclined i could pull the centre vents out of the top of the centre of the dash, complete with digital display and replace it with a centre vent assembly out of a 147 with the big vents, but then i would lose the digital display that i quite like, but i think it would be easier to buy a 147, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

My wife would tell you that the early 156's don't have any airconditioning! She can't stand it on hot days, so I had to upgrade her to a 159. I also (secretly) think it's pretty crap. Personally I prefer the horsepower going to the wheels that on the aircon, so you'll find me sweating furiously on a 40 degree day - but first off the lights like an idiot (that's the 2nd reason my wife won't get in the 156 any longer).

Here's a question for you. Do you think Jap cars have such a reduction in HP when their a/c is on? Not that I've noticed. The 159 a/c - although a good performer on hot days - also saps mega power from the engine...

chops

Quote from: bix on April 01, 2011, 09:36:43 PM

Here's a question for you. Do you think Jap cars have such a reduction in HP when their a/c is on? Not that I've noticed. The 159 a/c - although a good performer on hot days - also saps mega power from the engine...

Driving the wifes micra (2008) I notice little to no difference at all, driving a 1991 corrolla would always have to turn off the aircon when you come to anything resembling a hill.

Im just wondering if it is worth getting my aircon re-gassed, have a 2002 156 and the aircon is useless once the temp gets 30's or higher, seems most people find the 156 to have bad aircon but it can't have been this bad from factory.

colcol

Good time to get your aircon serviced, as when it gets hot, the aircon places are booked out, the 156's have a pollen filter in them, and these clog up with dust and hamper airflow, the series 1 156 had a single pollen filter located on the l.h.s. under the windscreen in the engine bay, the series 2 + 3 had climate control, and the twin pollen filters that live under the dashboard in the centre of the car, also, have a look at the receivor drier at the front of the car, it is a black can with 2 pipes going into it, it is about the size of a soft drink can, if possible have a look at the top of it, and there is a sight glass, using a torch and a small mirror have the aircon running, and if you see bubbles in the sight glass, your system needs charging, a steady stream of liquid means it fully charged, Colin.