VW boss Piech says he could quadruple Alfa Romeo sales

Started by f1worldchamp, March 04, 2011, 04:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wankski

i agree.... my 156 is utterly italian and i love it for it..... it leaves audi in the dust..... i got no issue with the build quality and soooooo much of that car just comes together....

japanese? please.

ps. i've actually been to the dresden VW factory in Germany and saw the entire production line. not any of the ethnics you've mentioned in sight. its not the run down enclave you're making it out to be... epic place - i recommend the tour if you get the chance...  the joint was as sterile, clean and efficient as you'd expect from the Germans building the company's marquee car...

colcol

What is a German car anyway?, on the Volkswagon front The Passat and Golf are made in South Africa, the Polo is made in China, the new Beetle comes from Mexico, the small one comes from Brazil, i think its called the Lupo the Caddy is made in Poland and i think the Kombi comes from Spain, our cars for the time being are made in Italy, thats why we love them!, if they were as badly made and unreliable as some people would make you believe they would have gone broke years ago, remember British Leyland anyone?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

exactly.... there is nothing about italy that means poorer quality...

look at cycling or coffee machines or a whole host of other things where the italians leave all others in the dust... on the strongest points in fact is great quality materials and longevity...

it has been management of alfa and now fiat that does stupid things that harms reputation, eg, use russian steel, or bring in electronic looms and modules from the cheapest possible supplier, then unsurprisingly shit goes wrong...

but the actual fit and finish - and most importantly the drivetrain, on mine at least, is pretty mint...

can't blame alfa or italy for most of the BS abs/vdc/airbag or ecu stuff that goes wrong.... guess what?? its BOSCH.... and i mean made in germany.... airbags by siemens... etc

aggie57

Geez Vin - best we got for a blast up country one Sunday in the Porker.  We've shared a lot of good times over the years and I reckon that would be another!  Engines in the wrong place, made by cold hard cash chasing Germans but beautiful feel, turns in when you want it to, comes on cam at 4500-5000 and just so so so much fun.  Sadly too quick for the current world though.    If Alfa had had the resources and want to properly develop the 116 chassis who knows what we may have now!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

MD

At this juncture the topic seems to be hovering around reliability so I'll ad my beef. All manufacurters are guilty today of breaching the fundamental engineering rule which is :

the fewer the (moving)parts, the greater the reliability

Regrettably, Alfa is going along with the market.

We have some much unnecessary crap in cars today to cater to the larde arse fraternity and useless wankers that can't operate machinery so we have to have automatic parking and a gazzilion other so called features that defies straight logic.

Is it any wonder people that truely understand machinery for what it needs to do in terms of sport cars head backwards and repair the old models instead of buying the latest and greatest.

...gezz I wonder how I ever got along without rain sensing wipers and air bags for my golf clubs? ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

wankski

welll at least the 4c seems to be a step in the minimalist direction...

at 900kg and lotus-esque - can't have too much crap in it...

maybe not even pwr steering?