[TAS] FS: 1981 Alfetta Turbodelta GTV Number 1 -PHOTOS added

Started by Mike, March 01, 2011, 07:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I've decided to sell my John French Turbodelta Number 1.  I'm reducing my fleet to a more manageable level (read, that fits in the garage :-)) So my loss is someone's gain.

I will do my best to describe the condition of this car, people are welcome to make arrangments to see it, or as I did, ship it to your doorstep unseen.  I took this risk, and was well rewarded, the car was as described and I beleive with a little elbow grease, the car will be very presentable.

Speaking of elbow grease, prior to sale the following items will be addressed:

1.  5 simmons wheels will be seperated into their 3 peices, painted/polished and reassembled (I beleive this will lift the whole car considerably)
2.  The paintwork and trim will be detailed
3.  The turbo charger system will be pulled down (already done), and reassembled & painted (half done).
4.  Interior new front seat covers will be fitted (the existing front seats are mechanically sound, but the fabric has tears and is unsightly).  This would be easily dealt with on the Mainland, but in Tassy (where the car is) my GTV front seat tan interior options are very limited!)
5.  Carpet will be removed and professionally steam cleaned.
6.  If time permits, the cam cover will be painted in crinkle paint black and the alfa script polished.
7.  Due to sitting the brake master cylinder also needs replacing, this will also be replaced with new.

What will still need doing:
1.  The tyres are old 15inch*225 and are tired, there's tread, but I would not drive hard on them
2.  The front seats could be recovered, or spare seats in better condition sourced (owners preference).
3.  I beleive the center bearing is tired in the prop shaft, I could provide a spare.  I would install it, but beleive my list is long enough, and I really have limited time.  if it were a deal breaker, I'd replace it.
4.  There are some cracks on the top of the dash - reskin, or put a mat on top (this is what i do and prefer it as it does not reflect sun into the drivers eyes)

I've had a good look over the car, and struggle to find any rust, visually, the car is solid, but of course, potential buyers should convince themselves of this.  I can certainly supply as many photos to serious buyers as required to aid determination of conditon remotely....BUT NOTE, no photos will be supplied to people who do not first call me.  Expericnce tells me that serious buyers call, all the rest PM.

What do you get in this turbo delta?
1.  S15 turbocharger (roller bearing)
2.  All original spares to return the car to original (kkk turbo and wastegate and factory intake alloy plenum)
3.  Koni reds all round
4.  24mm torsion bars (updated 13-Mar-11, had said 28mm, but they are 24mm, still considerably stiffer than stock)
5.  Upratre rear springs (also has the old koni style coil over on the dedion installed, quite rare)
6.  Uprated anti role bars (look ike whiteline on rear, uncknown front)
7.  Front mount intercooler
8.  Factory oil cooler (had a leak, supplied with car with leak rectified and ready to fit with stock oil lines).
9.  Rebuilt engine with Fiat flat top pistons & thick ring land (boost friendly)
10. Turbodelta (named) factory boost gauge
11. Vented front rotors with larger callipers
12. Vented front gaurds for improved cooling.
13. 5* 7*15 Simmons rims as per Turbodelta spec - refurbished
14. Larger exhaust - looks like 2.5inch
15. recently rebuild gearbox (not sure if lsd actually as I have only driven the car home from the boat and then parked in shed for resto)
16. Afetrmarket turbo timer

The car is complete, the first of the John French vehicles, rust free (to be confirmed by buyer), mechanically fresh engine and box.

Those who have bought from em before can attest that I will help out with transport, photos and information as required to make the purchase painless and transparent.  I do reccomend that potential buyers inspect the car first hand.

I will put photos up, but they will lag this post somewhat as they will only come as I detail wheels and body etc for obvious reasons.  There are other pics on this forum that can be found, but if you picture a rust free plastic bumper rsut free GTV on Simmons, you are half way there :-).  Paint has not been cleaned in over 1yr, b ut after a quick polish of one section I beleive it will clean up very well, it's not new paint, but it is consistent in colour all over, panels are straight and I can not spot any organge peel in the paint or crows feet (I'd like to detail to confirm this but am confident its good).  

car would be sold without rego.  If you are in tasmania I can arrange rego at your cost.

Price - $9,990 inclusive of the refurbishment noted above.  This sale is not ONO.  This is No.1 and in my oppinion and others, being Number 1 makes it rather interesting.  People may have seen a rusted out example for sale recently for around 7k, or another that was on Carasle for quite some time which had an engine in peices for 10k.  I beleive my car at this price represents a very solid example, which can be driven and enjoyed straight away, with very minor tasks for the new owner to further elevate it's appearance.  

For what it is worth, I am a Mechanical Engineer and know and love Alfetta's, and this is a good one.

All questions welcome, please note I will be in NZ for one week starting this Sat for one week so I can answer your calls either side of this, or alternatively during this period you can PM me and I may be able to respond.  

Cheers

Mike 0439 003 523.    
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Brad M

06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Mike

Have I broken a rule?  Or did I miss someone else breaking one?  I've read the rules, and think I'm ok, but let me know if NOK.
thanks.
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Brad M

Quote from: Mike on March 06, 2011, 03:57:22 PM
Have I broken a rule?  Or did I miss someone else breaking one?  I've read the rules, and think I'm ok, but let me know if NOK.
thanks.
Mike

Nah you're fine Mike, it's not appropriate for people to respond to your post unless they are actually interested in purchasing.

If you had the NOTIFY set up, where you'd get an email each time you got a response to the thread. So nice person expressing their commiseration's or best wishes, would be clogging up your mailbox.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Mike

Got you, I've selected notify now. 
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Bump.

Still for sale guys.  I've heard people say Turbo delta's turbo system is outdated and somewhat crude.  I agree, there is more technology out there these days, but it's in fat cars.  I can assure you that anyone who has driven a well setup turbodelta with a couple more psi, does not come away thinking it was 'low tech'.  They are a quick little beastie.  As for rarity, turbo deltas are rare, no question, No.1 well...there's only one :-).

I'm in no rush for a sale, I am in the process of getting the car in the condition it deserves for sale (which I am not charging for).  So if you are interested, but need some time, give me a call, there is no rush for the sale, I suspect the refurb will take me 4-5 weeks to complete.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

New brake master turned up today, will install on weekend...someone buy this car from me before it looks to pretty and I decide to keep it :-).

And to the person who called me, but was busy on the weekend, please call again if interested, I can not work out which number was yours.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

hammer

Mike,

Purely out of interest, did you sell the red 90?

Cheers,

Brent

Mike

Nope, I have not sold it.  Would have sold it 10 times on the mainland it seems.  No big deal for me, just taking up valuable space.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

hammer

I've been trying to convince the better half that we should fly to Tassie, buy the 90, drive it around the Apple Isle, then drive it back to Brisbane. Not having much luck yet, but I'll keep working on it. Cheers.

Mike

Got a chance to start to tidy the car up for sale. 

Completed jobs:
New brake master cylinder & bleed.
Checked all disks, pads a re good and disks are freshly machined by the looks of things.
Thought a center bearing was no good, but turned out to be the water line into the turbo rouching on the body of the car and resonating, spaced engine mount and modified the water line.
Moved the oil and water lines so that they no longer sit on top of the engine, a bit neater.
Removed turbo, inspected, and reinstalled for back to back testing with braqnd new turbo I have.  Old turbo looks intact, but was not making boost.  Adjusted the wastegate to allow it to actuate evenly.
painted the airbox, polished the intake pipe (will be clear coated, and added some new hose clamps and hose.
Heat shielded the water line closest to the exhaust manifold, and heat wrapped the turbo manifold to keep heat out of the engine bay.
Washed & polished the car, next the simmons will be removed for polishing and painting.  If anyone knows the colour code for simmons gold, that would be helpfull.

Note the Girlock callipers, still on a 265mm rotor, but 19mm or so thick, vented, looks to have a hat bolted to the disk, which makes for easy upgrades should a larger disk be required.

Larger photos are available for those interested.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

some more pics
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

The engine bay I am trying to improve on.  Next is the rather sad looking cam cover.  Opinions on colour?  I'm thinking crinkle paint black with polished Alfa script...or red crinkle if it's still made.  I heard a rumour it's hard to get now.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Darryl

Given that you are tidying up by making other bits in the engine bay black, and that the original cross pipe, inlet manifold etc was black crinkle, I'd go with that for the cam cover. Either that or try to make it shiny (easier said than done).

hammer

Good work so far Mike. The old girl is beginning to sparkle. Should make a great purchase for some lucky Alfa lover.