75 Purchase

Started by w47ty, February 22, 2011, 11:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darryl

If you had 2 otherwise identical cars in terms of condition for the same price I'd take the TS. The TS is by all objective measures in the same condition the better car *but* the V6 does sound good! A well priced V6 in nice condition would certainly tempt me and I'd take one in a heartbeat over a rough TS.
Other than that - Dehne obviously needs glasses so he can see both his car and himself in the mirror more clearly and some other people need the same so they can see the humor with or without emoticons...

Buy a nice example of whatever *you* like and you can't really go wrong. Check drivetrain (no real difference between them) - donuts and mounts are service items...

The engine on the TS seems to me to be one of the more indestructible things around if it is serviced properly and regularly (ie change the fluids, fix the leaks). I don't have enough experience with the V6 to speak with any authority on it but it isn't fragile either. Having to change the cambelt on the V6 is a factor (and unless you are very sure of service history you should probably factor it in sooner rather than later) but it isn't like it is hard to do/get to (unlike many front wheel drive V6s) so not a real problem.

monoman

I looked at a Twinspark in Melbourne last week and took a very well known Alfa club member / mechanic along with me.  The owner claimed it was close to immaculate.  Although it only had 200k on it, the drivers door seals were almost non existent, the drivers seat was about as stuffed as a seat can be, the engine was hidden between years of gunk, and the oil had metal flakes in it.  And after 16 years of ownership, he acted surprised that there was no belt driving the aircond compressor.  Clearly this was a tired car that needed more TLC than I had time to lavish on it. 

The next day I bought a lovely clean twinspark from a trusted club member.  Such is the nature of the second hand market.  Good cars come, and good cars go.  Wait a week, and there will be more.

dehne,

Adding a smiley face after you have insulted someone does make it okay, or lessen the offense. 

Evan, your buddy's "look in the mirror" comments on their own were not particularly inflammatory, and no doubt delivered in jest, his follow up comments afterwards  were the hallmark of a true fool.  That said, your leap to his defense  really takes the cake.  Let me get this straight.  You are supporting his rudeness and attacking me not because what I have said about dehne is any way inaccurate, but because you disapprove of something I may have posted previously.   If not for your outright rudeness, I would be flattered you've taken the time to look me up, so to speak. 

BTW.  Lean the use of the shift, or caps lock key before you start lecturing others on etiquette.

VeeSix

Hello Chris
I do not know how this forum has become kindergarten lately
That 75 Chris is a first series and i must admit i have not seen a first series that neat in a long time, they are generally overlooked and stripped in favour of later models, someone has put the later model 1990 - 1992 75 Potenziata wheels on it and has done a damn good job of cleaning them up, but as neat as it is Chris there is no way you would pay $3100 for it you could easily do so much better with a later model, if it goes good and is registered Chris the highest offer you would make on it would be $2000
V6 versus Twin Spark debate, we all know the V6s are the best, Twin Sparks have tooo many rotor caps!!!  ;D 
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

w47ty

Hi VeeSix

thank you mate that is sensational advice. I am off to see the car tomorrow so I shall see how we go on the negotiation front.

Sadly as much as I like to be considered an alfisti I am hopelessly ignorant when it comes to things like engines which is why I rely on this forum for good advice. I dont necessarily mind people having a go at each other but clearly they have an issue and it is frustrating when you are after some advice.
cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

dehne

Quote from: monoman on February 24, 2011, 01:54:59 AM

Evan, your buddy's "look in the mirror" comments on their own were not particularly inflammatory, and no doubt delivered in jest, his follow up comments afterwards  were the hallmark of a true fool.  That said, your leap to his defense  really takes the cake.  Let me get this straight.  You are supporting his rudeness and attacking me not because what I have said about dehne is any way inaccurate, but because you disapprove of something I may have posted previously.   If not for your outright rudeness, I would be flattered you've taken the time to look me up, so to speak.  

so what your saying is that you can then offen someone else after they have made a little joke and that they cannot then defend them self with ur comments, get out of the SPAM if it to hot for you  ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

monoman

Quote from: dehne on February 25, 2011, 04:13:51 PM
so what your saying is that you can then offen someone else after they have made a little joke and that they cannot then defend them self with ur comments, get out of the SPAM if it to hot for you  ;D

WTF????? Another hero member own goal.  http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/russianroulette

w47ty

hehe I enjoyed that clip Monoman
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

w47ty

Guys,

what are your thoughts, opinions and comments on a gearbox rebuild or replacement for the 75?  How much is it likely to cost? Are the parts hard to find etc etc.

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

shane wescott

Mines on Carsales.com.au

Come and get it so I can fix the Rav4 and empty some space in the backyard.

$2950 and it's yours.
CAtch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

w47ty

Thanks Shane.

Sadly not for me

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Darryl

Quote from: w47ty on February 26, 2011, 01:12:09 PM
Guys,

what are your thoughts, opinions and comments on a gearbox rebuild or replacement for the 75?  How much is it likely to cost?

Are we talking TS (ie LSD)? These boxes are "desirable" which makes them moderately expensive in any condition ('cos people want to swap them into 116s). If you already have one it doesn't really make any long term sense to replace rather than rebuild (the transaxle you buy is presumably not going to be in substantially better conddition than the one you have) - but a rebuild will cost some real $ and isn't exactly a job for amateurs. This is really what makes th low price/value of these cars show - you could easily spend $2000 - $3000 on a proper rebuild of the transaxle and some would claim "you could buy a whole car for that"... The thing is, it is a whole car with a taxl that has already done 200000km+

Brad M

Some of the exchanges here in this thread are bordering on breaching the Forum Rules.

PM me if you have an issue, I won't post the content of our discussion on the public forum.

Every one has an opinion and is free to express it and "attempt" to justify it, but keep it clean and respectful. Peace out!
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

w47ty

Hi Darryl

No I am talking about the 6C. sorry I should have been more specific.

The reason I ask is that I had a look at a really nice example today. Paints a little tired and the headlining needs redoing which is not totslly unexpected but there is a nasty crunch when going into or out of 2nd if you rush the change (sorry best way i can describe it). 

Now I imagine that is an impending gear box renewal or some form at some time in the immediate future so I am just weighing up whether it is financially worth it.

thanks for the advice it chimes with what I had thought and been advised before but it is good to get a couple of other opinions.

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Sheldon McIntosh

If a little tired, they all crunch into second if you rush it.  You need to pause for a half-second or so on the way up, and you need to double declutch on the way down, otherwise even a rebuilt one will crunch before long (I've heard of rebuilt ones crunching after 6 months if not driven properly).  And third will go eventually too if you rush the change.

Open diff V6 transaxles are plentiful and cheap, as many have been replaced by TS LSDs.

FWIW, my tuppence worth on the original question....

The TS is probably the most desirable 75.  It is the fastest round a track in standard form, and the handling is noticeably better than the V6s.  If I was buying one for mostly commuting, with the odd thrash, I would get a 3 litre though.  The extra torque is wonderful, and the sound even more so.  I don't enjoy driving a TS round town very much, the lack of torque is infuriating, it feels like they take forever to wind up.  The 3 litre's longer gearing can also be a little frustrating sometimes, but less so in my opinion.

The 2.5 V6 is a competent car, but just not as nice as the other two.  Oh, and by the way, the later 90 SUPER is indentical mechanically to a 75 2.5, and was rated more highly, and as a better handler (probably due to better tyres realistically) than the 75 in contemporary road-tests.  The early 90 GOLDCLOVERLEAF was a piece-of-shit with soft suspension and long gearing.  People heard bad things about the early 90 and then disregarded the upgraded, and totally different to drive, Super.  Which is why people who have never driven them dismiss them out of hand.

w47ty

Hi Sheldon,

thank you mate. I really appreciate the advice. Funnily enough I am also going to have a look a t a 3ltr jobbie tomorrow. I will be mostly using it for commuting so thats good to know.

Good to know on the gears. That was the only thing that really worried me but it sounds like a reasonably common issue. Having said that I presume it is still not a cheap fix necessarily.

Sadly the 90 still doesnt do it for me. But I am always interested in expanding my Alfa knowledge so thanks again.

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75