75 Purchase

Started by w47ty, February 22, 2011, 11:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w47ty

I am looking at buying a 75 as a daily drive to add to my beloved 2000GTV.

As dedicated 75 owners what are the big ticket items I should look out for and what are the questions to ask when looking one over.

thanks in advance

chris

75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

monoman

Quote from: w47ty on February 22, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
As dedicated 75 owners what are the big ticket items I should look out for and what are the questions to ask when looking one over.

Big ticket items are the V6?  Very expensive to fix and likely to require fixing sooner than you'd like.

Questions to ask? Does it have a V6?  It does?  No thank you I want a twinspark.

In simple terms, get a twinspark.  They're better in every way (close ration gearbox and LSD, lighter, better balanced, and handle better) except they don't quite match the V6 sound or acceleration.   And if the Tony Abbott get's thrown into the fan and you bend it, you'll still get $1,500 for a good twinspark motor and ECU, and about the same for the close ration gearbox and LSD.

VeeSix

Do not listen to him!!!
Twin Sparks have tooo many spark plugs!!!
VeeSix is the only way to go!!!  ;D ;D ;D
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

dehne

what about a 90 still has the v6 is more luxurious and is better to drive and i have one you can buy and it in good cond to
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

monoman

Hey! Don't pick on the 90's.  I remember selling them when they were first released in Australia.  Nice car.  But no way on God's green earth did you want to be the bunny that had to drive it home.  Not unless you had time to wait on the side of the road for a tow truck.  At least half the problems were dashboard related electrical problems, the other half were non-dashboard related electrical problems.

But I guess all those teething bugs have since been ironed out.

Anyhoo, back to the original question.  Get a twinspark.

w47ty

Thanks guys appreciate the advice so far.

Dehne, not sure on the 90. I assume you dont have your tongue in your cheek.  If not, are you able to PM with more details/photos and of course a price?

cheers

chris  
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

dehne

for that period the 90 was the luxury car, ok some people say the 90,s are ugly but have you looked in the mirror lately, they are a great drive if you have not driven one really i would say that you should, before you say they are crap, they have all the modern item like power steering, electic windows, electric seats, elect mirror, and yes when they all work they are fantastic, and for the sheer luck of it all the electric DO work on the white 90 for sale, ask mat francis what the white 90 is like he came for a quick drive in it on the weekend when he was picking up someparts, ill put some pics up here for you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

w47ty

:) I can see you love the 90 Dehne. All good Alfisti should of course defend their favourite Model.  Look forward to seeing the pics.

I appreciate the advice and help guys.  Just found a nice looking 75 ... good price too. The scratch on the boot lid doesnt sound too horrendous and should be easy to rectify

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=3&R=9729140&keywords=&trecs=11&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=12487ACD284F&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294960130%204294967249&silo=1011

I know I know monoman, V6!!!

75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

dehne

Quote from: paul edwards on February 23, 2011, 06:11:53 PM
l wouldn't take a standard 90 to far if l was you.
The 75ts is the pic of the crop by a country mile.

Cheers Paul

Dehne you said  "have you looked in the mirror lately"
really mate do you think that's funny or are you just a dick head???????

the 90 is just as confortable as the 75 and i have done plenty of 3000km trips in it and each one has been a blast,

and the mirror comment was just a little fun if you cannot take it get of the race track the pace is to much for you  ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

monoman

Dehne,

The first remark was, as Paul pointed out, a remark made by a dickhead.  A simple, "no offense intended", would have sufficed.  Your follow up remarks not only show you truly are a dickhead, it shows that you're prepared to prove it.

Learn how to play with adults, or go back to your sandbox.  You can take baby steps towards adulthood by apologising to Paul Edwards and w44ty.

Cheers

scott.venables

What else but a 2.5 75 could be had in meticulous condition for $3100?!

Looks great!  It's an early car so probably more prone to rust than later cars. Mine had a little rust in the rear guards, and around the screens.  I'd also check the sills and the A-pillar.  Take note of the condition of the synchros as well. The V6 can sound a bit tappety which is probably fine.  I can't think of else that you'd wouldn't already be checking.   

The whole V6 vs TS debate is (clearly) very emotive and personal.  The V6 sounds better, is heavier on fuel and in a daily driver you won't notice the extra weight over the front wheels.  Gearbox ratios I'm very sure are the same but the 2.5 has no LSD. Keep an eye on the cambelt interval on the V6 and both motors will be reliable. The only other thing is the L-Jet electrics which get a bad rap.

Scott

dehne

Quote from: monoman on February 23, 2011, 06:50:40 PM
Dehne,

The first remark was, as Paul pointed out, a remark made by a dickhead.  A simple, "no offense intended", would have sufficed.  Your follow up remarks not only show you truly are a dickhead, it shows that you're prepared to prove it.

Learn how to play with adults, or go back to your sandbox.  You can take baby steps towards adulthood by apologising to Paul Edwards and w44ty.

Cheers
well so sorry but if you look at the end of the comment there is a smile face so there for there is no offence intended
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

w47ty

Thanks Scott!

I spoke to the chap and it seems to have been very well maintained mechanically. The only thing being is that he described a bit of a "crunch" if not caressed into 2nd. Not quite sure how bad it is until I take it for a spin but I am hoping it is nothing more than giving a 25 yr old car the respect it deserves.

Certainly the V6/TS debate is probably one to avoid if i can :)

On the rust front I shall give it the full Alfa once over. Thanks again

cheers

chris

75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Evan Bottcher

dehne:  I chuckled at your 'looked in the mirror lately' comment.  I didn't think it was offensive.

monoman:  most of what I've read from you suggests you're the dickhead.  You're the last person should be giving advice on forum etiquette.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

w47ty

ever get the feeling that you wished you had never asked the question ;)

Probably best to draw a line under this one. Thanks for all the constructive advice guys

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75