V6 starter motor

Started by Mat Francis, February 24, 2011, 10:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

Rookie question, and I'm pretty sure it's me that's the problem, but is there any trick to removing a starter motor? Bottom bolt and supporting bracket were easy enough, but having real trouble with the one at the top.

I'm thinking the only real way to get it is from in the engine bay, and from the back, as there's all sorts of stuff in the way at the front, and not even possible from underneath?

Or should i just grit my teeth, skin some knuckles and swear a whole lot more?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

Did you take the manifold off?

Joe Garra

it's probably no help, but in the 164 the only way is from below by removing the exhaust. confirmed by my auto elec and Giancarlo at Maranello.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

dehne

i should have let you take the one of the other engine so you got the practice, sorry
can you get a spanner to the back of the bolt had then grit ur teeth and skin the knuckles, i think of memory when i did one i cut a spanner down so i could get it off,
keep haveing fun ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

VeeSix

Hello Matt
You need to remove as much stuff as you can from around that area, hold onto the nut and get a very long spanner, double the length of a normal spanner at least and loosen the bolt
The V6 starter motor and steering rack would have to rate at the top of grit teeth from a V6 engine bay, but the more times you do it and get the right tools the easier the job becomes  :-\
Thankyou VeeSix
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Mat Francis

Yeah, removed the manifold, heat shield, air flow meter and associated bits. Should have enough room I think.

Should have worded that better. Obviously the starter has to come out upwards eventually, but i meant do i get at the bolt from above, or from underneath, like with the lower bolt. I gather at this point though it is done from the top.

Cheers guys, I'll keep trying!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie