The 90 project

Started by Mat Francis, February 07, 2011, 08:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

As requested, and possibly to my embarrassment, here is the thread for my 90. Should make a pretty nice road car in the coming months, and be a whole lot more drivable than the alfetta.

Paid virtually nothing for it, with the intention of taking the mechanicals for another project. Unfortunately, the body has no rust, and the interior has all been re done recently, and i can't bring myself to wreck it.

Parts I will be looking to acquire in the next few months will include an exhaust system (excluding headers), a starter motor and the trip computer thing.

To try and get some sort of reliability, I will be pulling the engine and rebuilding it as one of the first jobs to complete.

Other planned changes will be a bigger alternator from something more common, hopefully a more modern air compressor, and the most important modification will be the headlights. Not sure exactly which ones I'm going to use yet, but thinking something from a BMW. After running the HID's in the alfetta, there is no way I'm gonna be happy with standard lights. (especially when they are worth twice as much as I paid for the car). Will take a bit of cutting and welding, but that should all be a bit of fun. Will it look stupid with 4 round headlights? Dunno, and to be honest not really that concerned.

Let the criticism begin!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

ANG156

Where are the headlights? I hear they are really hard to find now. Might be your first hurdle

Mat Francis

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

I've got a trip computer for you. 

1969read

Matt l have some more free stuff for you including sterring wheel cover. good to see her getting fixed up.
Jason

1969read

this is a  nice 90

pep105

Hey Mat,

That looks half decent inside & out, nice colour and its got 75 Potenziata rims and a cloverleaf on the dash! 
Looks like it would make a nice daily driver and your right way too good to wreck.

Good luck and keep us posted on the updates

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

dehne

ive got the starter motor, with the headlights, i the white light globes and they work fine you can get a hid conversion for these now to, now for the engine, how does it run, does it leak oil or any thing if it runs ok try putting new plugs in and oil and some good fuel with a bit of injector cleaner chuck a permit on it and go for a 50 km drive and then see how it goes from my experience with 90's and i have lots of it if the car goes do not touch it and a bigger alternator dont know why you need to, 
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sheldon McIntosh

I like this one.

Evan Bottcher

Nice one Sheldon.  Great contribution to this thread about Matt's 90 project.  I didn't see the title saying "post pictures of your favourite 90".
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Thank you Evan.  Just trying to give Mat some ideas for his project.  Would you like me to remove my post Mat?

dehne

i believe sheldon was helping with a colour choice and rims and shedding weight by removing the bonnet  ;)
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Mat Francis

Cheers Jason. Give me a week or two to get rid of at least one car and make some more room, then I'll give you a ring to do a swap of some stuff.

Whilst they do look awesome, i'm bloody sick of not having enough ground clearance to drive over a coke can (lying on it's side). It's an absolute joke. This one is going to stay standard height.

I'm told the engine burns oil, which is enough reason for me to rebuild it. I would rather do it all now while I'm not relying on the car to get to work, than have to do a half arse rush job in 6 months time. Plus it'll be good to learn a bit more about it all.

Headlights: I could HID standard ones, but it's pretty illegal, and still wont give me the same result as a 4 headlight conversion. After the lights in the 75, I can't see the 90 ones being much better. Appreciate the offers guys, but using standard lights is completely out of the question. Not going to happen.

They are potenziata wheels, but unfortunately they are not mine. On loan so i can move the car around. I will be putting the 16" multispokes on it when i get some suitable tyres.

Oh, and the alternator. Using the 75 one, which i know is good because we rebuilt it, I cannot drive around at night with the headlights, wipers, heater fan and radio going. The car stalls at idle. Battery is also good. I'm going on the assumption that the 90 alternator isn't going to be any better than the 75 one, and again, it's a pretty easy job to do now in order to save a lot of grief down the track.

And i don't mind the pictures :)
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

VeeSix

Hello Matt
Sounds great, keep us updated with photos, do not worry about crticism Matt, just learn from it, some people like keeping things stock factory standard and that is great where as others like making a excellent vehicle better, i will love to see your quad headlight conversion in the end, i am sure it will light up the road better, but if it suits the 90 and looks good i will get the details off you and do the conversion on one of my 90s, i would prefer to see a 90 with a bit of modification rather than parted out for the scrapper, from the photos it looks like a excellent restoration to be used as a daily, looking forward to your work.
Thankyou VeeSix.  ;)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

VeeSix

Have you had any time Mat to get to her yet? Any work started?
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV