Towbar for 159... recommendations?

Started by diglad, February 02, 2011, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diglad

Hi all,
I know, I know... it is almost criminal to install a towbar on such a beautiful rear end! But this is a necessary evil for carrying my bikes...

Has anyone had any experience installing a decent looking removable towbar? Or seen one installed? Got photos?
There are some really nice Thule products listed on their website (www.thule.com) but they are not available in Australia.

I have no intention of towing a trailer, only carrying bikes. So I want the smallest, lightest and most hidden option available. Any recommendations would be appreciated... thanks.

P.S: I think roof racks look just as ugly

Cool Jesus

Mate, I had the very same dilemma just recently with my 159. Speaking with my uncle who is a Morgan car enthusiast (sad I know, my 159 still made him drool though) and avid weekend racer for many years through his muffler business in Penrith. He mentioned the 159's monocoque chassis would suffer severly, even with just bikes due to chassis not having been designed for the bouncing stresses that would occur from the weight of the bikes. I ended up going for the Thule roof racks, which really aren't that bad, and I can then take them off once the misses has had her excercise fix.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

CDH105

Hey Diglad.
Just had a bar fitted to my 159 Wagon, did lots of research trying to find one and ended up at the dealer, only option.
Had Maurceri Motors in Clayton fit it for me and saved $$$$. Could not find any other source.
It's rated at 1800kgs and I to will be carrying a bike rack and small trailer.
good luck
Present<br />2010 159 Wagon Red 2.4 JTDM<br />1969 GTV1750 White<br />Previous<br />1978 Alfasud Ti Yellow<br />1969 1750 Berlina White

diglad

Quote from: Cool Jesus on February 02, 2011, 04:37:11 PM
Mate, I had the very same dilemma just recently with my 159. Speaking with my uncle who is a Morgan car enthusiast (sad I know, my 159 still made him drool though) and avid weekend racer for many years through his muffler business in Penrith. He mentioned the 159's monocoque chassis would suffer severly, even with just bikes due to chassis not having been designed for the bouncing stresses that would occur from the weight of the bikes. I ended up going for the Thule roof racks, which really aren't that bad, and I can then take them off once the misses has had her excercise fix.

Hi CJ, thanks for the advice, I agree, not to mention the additional weight of a 1800kg capable towing package upsetting the balance and performance. I have done the research and I just don't think a full spec tow bar is the way to go. Pity Thule don't offer the bike only style tow bars from their European range in Australia.

If it is not too much trouble, can you post some pics of your roof rack? I am keen to see how it connects. Is it easy to install and remove? I have read a few international forums with a lot of people complaining that it is hard to get the fit right. Also do you do anything to protect the paint under the brackets?

diglad

Quote from: CDH105 on February 02, 2011, 04:59:53 PM
Hey Diglad.
Just had a bar fitted to my 159 Wagon, did lots of research trying to find one and ended up at the dealer, only option.
Had Maurceri Motors in Clayton fit it for me and saved $$$$. Could not find any other source.
good luck

Hey CDH, did they cut the bumper and do you notice any additional weight? Can you post some pics if you have them? Thanks!

CDH105

I'll do my best with some photos but not for a few days as i'm interstate and pretty new on the forum side.
Yes cut out the area for the bar to sit within the bumper, did a really good job with minimal excess removed.
They were quite fastideous about the fitting. 
Present<br />2010 159 Wagon Red 2.4 JTDM<br />1969 GTV1750 White<br />Previous<br />1978 Alfasud Ti Yellow<br />1969 1750 Berlina White

Cool Jesus

Mate, I'll post a couple of photos of the fit kit, racks and bike holder with and without bikes. I've only just received the gear so haven't yet palyed with it other to check the items were al there (THULE Botany had free postage for online orders!) So if you can wait a couple of days for this heat to settle down I'll throw a whole assortment of photos up over the weekend.

As far as paint protection the rubber feet of the racks are of good quality and all I was going to do was give the roof a wipe down (remove dust etc...) and clamp on. Can't see any damage arising from this as the rack feet won't move and the clamps also have a rubber/plasticized film.

Quote from: CDH105 on February 02, 2011, 04:59:53 PM
Hey Diglad.
good luck
CDH do keep an eye on the attachment point and any movement in the chassis, my guess is it will be noticable when doors become misaligned and I do hope my uncle was wrong about the chassis being compromised. As I said, I too would have preferred a bike rack on a tow hitch. I gave my uncle's advice creedance when I think about how a car manufacturer and dealerships make a hugh profit on aftersales  accessores, of which a tow package is always an option. The moron salesman with my 159 purchase tried to sell me a $700 bluetooth device that would have destroyed the look of the interior, this when the 159 has its blue&me capability. Does the Alfa range have a tow package in their listed options/accessories? Why was it so difficult for you to find this option? Was the Clayton tow bar a specific Alfa package or a custom fit?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Neil Choi

If you don't need a tow bar for the 159 and don't want to cut the bumper to fit, I would strongly and highly recommend you to get the Thule racks and the ProRide 591.  Bikes on and off in minutes.  Just about most cyclists with cars use the 591, just look around.  I am about to buy a third one.

Plus you are not using your bikes as crash bars for someone run into.  Depends on how valuable your bikes are.

My carbon and Ti bikes sit either inside car or on the roof bike carrier.  The carrier is lockable.

Previously, used the tow bar system and bikes got banged up because they rub and you can't clamp the carbon tube.

Anyway, hope that helps.  But to each to their own.

Neil

PS I am both a serious rider and alfa driver.  Ride in Alfa kit always then hop into Alfa to drive home.

What do you ride?  I will have more respect if you ride Road!!!!!!!!  Only kidding.

diglad

Quote from: Neil Choi on February 03, 2011, 08:08:32 AM
If you don't need a tow bar for the 159 and don't want to cut the bumper to fit, I would strongly and highly recommend you to get the Thule racks and the ProRide 591.

Thanks for the advice Neil, I agree this is the looking the better way to go. Easier, cheaper and I just can't bring myself to approving any 'surgery' on my beautiful car!

What do you ride?  I will have more respect if you ride Road!!!!!!!!  Only kidding.

Road of course! Current fleet is a Giant TCR Adv0, Schwinn Madison fixie and I am building a custom Trek District carbon belt drive with nexus internal hub for a 9 day commuter ride down in the south west of WA in March.

Neil Choi

No problems, glad to lend a hand.

Also thanks to above for the Thule Botany, online prices is pretty good, wish I had known, I will order a 591 from them, $50 cheaper than what I got mine for and bonus free shipping, win-win.  Up my carrying capacity to 3-4 bikes in Alfa.

Thanks you all.

Neil

Oh, I too have a Giant, Advance TCR SL or something like that, as a beater bike.  Merckx Ti.

diglad

Neil Choi

Ti bikes are laterally and torsionally very stiff, so the ride is hard but responsive, really tires the body out.

Carbon is stiff torsionally but more compliant laterally so a nicer ride.

Two different bikes, both nice to ride.  Ti is a bit heavier though by about a kg.

But once you had black, you will not go back.

Neil

ChrisGTA

Previously, used the tow bar system and bikes got banged up because they rub and you can't clamp the carbon tube.

Good point Neil - a mate's carbon frame was written off in one road trip after he hung/clamped it by the top tube on a car rack. Gave him a good excuse for a new frame though ;)

(Fortunately two roadies plus luggage fit into the GTA's cabin (was very relieved the first time I squeezed it all in..!))

NigelC

I had a factory towbar on my 159 and most of the time I had the tongue of the tow bar removed.  It was fitted using four bolts. 

As you may be able to see from the attached pics it did not affect the beautiful lines of the car but I can understand your concern - I felt the exact same way.

I have absolutely no regrets about having the tow-bar fitted.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

CDH105

Here's a few pics of the bar fitted.
It was a genuine Alfa part purchased directly from the dealership by Maurceri Motors and then fitted by them.
I used them as they also look after my 105 and have confidence in their work.
Hayman Reese do not list a bar for the 159.
From a previous thread, I did find that TOSSA (The one stop shop australia) had supplied and fitted one back in 2009 but they now don't list one.