Torsion bars

Started by JOHN G, January 25, 2011, 10:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOHN G

Hi guys
Can you confirm that the GTV6 torsion bars and the Alfa 90 torsion bars are interchangeable?
I recall the torsion bar length changing mid '85 in the Afetta's.
What I am trying to achieve here is I have some new Shankle 27mm torsion bars  approximate 925mm long which were bought for my GTV6 however,now i am going to run RS RACING coil over setup.So if possible I will drop them into my Alfa 90 if not I will put them in the classified section.

Thanks
John
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

dehne

john i belive they are i sold  a 90 bar that went on a gtv and i assume the gtv and gtv6 are the same
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

aggie57

John - Yours are the shorter bars so they should fit the 90 fine.  The change in torsion bar length occurred on all GTV/GTV6's in conjunction with the change to isostatic gearchanges around September / October 1984.  All 75's and 90's have the shorter bars.

The longer ones, for cars with the old gearchange and early floor pan, are 989mm.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

JOHN G

Thanks guys for the replies

Just what I was looking for!

John.
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

ARQ164 Shane

Dear John,
Is it a hard to change the torsion bars on the afla? I was thinking if it. I am a backyard mechanic, we have not paid a mechanic for anythng other than electronics for 10 years.

Cheers
Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Sheldon McIntosh

Changing to ones that are much bigger is pretty difficult, and can be very dangerous if not done correctly.  I think up to about a 28mm isn't too bad, anything larger than that can be hard, and time-consuming.

If you're going to do it yourself, do lots of research beforehand, and get someone to help, preferably someone that has done it before.

barts

Hi John G,

A bit off topic but I have the RS set up and can only tell you its fantastic... the rear shocks are quite short in stroke though and mine have been ruined by transport from Darwin to Canberra.

I will see if they can be repaired but I'm not hopeful. They are the most expensive part fo the kit by a fair margin. Could I ask where you are getting you kit from? I bought mine whilst living overseas and I am not sure of the best way to go for spares now.

Cheers

Dan.

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Choderboy on January 29, 2011, 10:01:37 PM
I'll never forget the night we put the 32mm short bars in the racecar! Fuck, what a job that was. You want to get the height right the first time trust me!

I fucken hear that.  We got very lucky with my 32s, and got it right first time.  I thought we'd fucked up because the drivers side was about 1.5mm higher, but when I'm sat in the car it's exactly right.  I've never seen Bruno so relieved.

Sheldon McIntosh

I fucked up and didn't put in longer bolts for the lower arm before we did the bars........

So when I realised that I'd have to do the torsion bars again to get some more camber, I said "fuck that".