105 series 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour - Tasmania 2013

Started by Mark Baigent, January 18, 2011, 07:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Baigent

A proposal - 2013 is the 50th anniversary of the 105 series. Perhaps AROCA may wish to consider a week long Celebration Tour in Tasmania ?
Fine wine, great restaurants, stunning accommodation, some of the best driving roads in the world, spectacular scenery, guaranteed fine weather during summer and a state crazy about classic cars !! Where better to host such an important milestone. ? Sponsors, an organising committee and media coverage are virtually at call to facilitate. Your thoughts ??? Mark Baigent - Italian Car Enthusiasts of Tasmania (ICE) AROCA Vic member 4158.   

Brad M

Sounds interesting to me.

There are rumours of an Alfesta-esque event in TAS in 2012.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Victor Lee

Hi Mark,

You've beaten me to this subject!

It was AROCA WA's rotation to host Alfesta in 2012.  They have advised me that they are unable to it due to mainly low membership numbers.

We have had increasing attendances at recent Alfestas since the "glory" days of the late 80's and 90's.  Alfesta 2010 Phillip Island saw 117 attendees, with participants from all states.  Alfesta 2011 Clare Valley is nearly booked out with only a few rooms remaining.  As such, I would not like to see Alfesta fall into a hole again by not having an Alfesta in 2012.

I have asked AROCA QLD whether they would consider moving their Alfesta from 2013 to 2012 but initial response has been negative, and given the floods they have just had, in maybe a big ask to find a suitable location in such a short time.

We've been kicking a few ideas round and the top of the list is a touring rally of Tassie in 2012 instead of an official Alfesta.  It will take place at the traditional Alfesta timeslot of Easter.

Option B might be a touring rally around Victoria's north east (Paul Edwards, are you reading this!!   ;)   ).

The issue is this:  Several AROCA Vic members (myself included) has just finished a fantastic 2010 Alfa Centenary year, serving on various 2010 committees.  The motivation to run another big event so soon after 2010 is not very appealing at the moment.  I say this before speaking to others on the 2010 Alfesta Committee (and let's be honest, it's mainly the same people that organize and run these events!).

However, if our Tasmanian Alfisti friends can be a major contributor and do a lot of the ground work there, then AROCA Vic maybe able to bank roll and administer the event from here and get Alfisti from around Australia to attend!

So let the discussions begin!

Cheers for now

Victor Lee
National Coordinator for the Alfa Romeo Clubs of Australia
(& Alfesta 2010 Convenor)

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Paul Gulliver

Count me in . The mid 911 register of the porsche club do a similar 4 day rally in  Northern Tasmania, it's always over subscribed and meant to be a real hoot.
It would be worth going to Tassie just for the boat ride.

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi Mark,
I am in and will be keen to assist with organisation.
Best Regards
Phil

Davidm1600

Hi all

Any of the above such concepts sound great, and I feel certain that like Mark from ICE, we too from CMI as representing the South/Motorsport side of Italian car ownership, including and especially Alfas would be keen as mustard.   

So, Victor, Gully, Paul etc, just let us all know perhaps when concepts are better firmed up regarding possible dates etc and we will do all we can to help make it a really great time.  It would be good to catchup.   I am taking the liberty of speaking on behalf of the CMI committee, but I can do that given I am currently al Presedente !!  ;D  Seriously though, I will make this an Agenda item for our February meeting.  I am happy to be a contact re this for CMI.

My mobile is 0419565786, and private e-mail osca1600@gmail.com

Alternatively simply PM me.

Cheers
Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfagtv58

hmmm 2013 huh.

I had been thinking this exact thing for some time....There was talk about doing this in 2012 (arguably the 50th anniversary of 105 series...didnt the Giulia Ti start in 1962???), but from a purely selfish point of view, 2013 would be more likely for my 105 to be finished  :D :D :D I couldnt imagine a better event to aim for to get the car finished
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

Hi Phil

Yes for sure, I just sent Victor an e-mail in response to one he sent myself and Mark, as he was proposing 2012.  I suspect you also might be right about the Giulia Ti production date. 

I will get the ball rolling from our end, as we have our next committee meeting in the first week of Feb. I will also start checking out a few other things for Victor. 

For sure mate, it would be good to see your 105 in action on some roads down here.  Hell I might even have to have a crack at getting one of my 105 projects also finished (ie. Giulia Super) / or at least suitably repaired (1750 GTV) for use.  Now that indeed would be a good goal to aim for  ;D 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ItalCarGuy

2012 also corresponds with my long service leave! Hmm what can I scheme... Surely the Super will be done by then :-[

Evan Bottcher

Would love to attend in 2012 or 2013, although 2012 seems more logical to fill the Alfesta blank next year if it can be practically organised.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

vin sharp

The subject of NSW AROCA not likely to hold Alfesta in 2012 came up at the BBQ at the Yarra last week, where Ian Frost from NSW was attending........his response was "We can hold an unofficial one in Tassie, I'm going down there this week for some motocycle ride recces for future reference and will look for suitable locations etc. I still have the event programs and data base from Alfesta Orange, so with a bit of help from a few I can organise it."........
We have several witnesses to this!  Brad and Anita indicated willingness to help as did Laurie and Josie Westcott.....and Vanessa as I recall quite vividly!
Victor, the iron is HOT! 

Victor Lee

I had a nice phone chat with Davidm1750 from Tassie this arvo and he's keen to get something going.

Some of things I suggested to David went something like this:

On the Thursday (before Easter), all meet & catch the evening sailing on the Spirit Of Tasmania to Devonport.
Then two nights accommodation in the one location (Fri and Sat nights) with day tours in the vincinity area.
Then change regions with two nights accommodation in another location (Sun and Mon nights) with day tours in the area.
Tuesday evening: catch the Spirit back to Melbourne or stay longer.

Whether we start at the north end and make our way south or vice versa is TBA.  Alot of people I have spoken to today have expressed touring ideas already!  It looks like we're not short of helpers, which is fantastic!

Both David and Phil Baskett has mentioned that the Tas Tourism Bureau would more than likely be willing to assist in this project.  If we can get the media on board and call it the 50th Anniversary of the 105 (can someone give a definitive confirmation on this?), then we might get some media exposure and sponsorship!!!

Jeremy is see Frosty tomorrow evening (Thursday) on his way back to NSW, so I'll hear what the result of his trip is (that is if Jeremy isn't too busy fanging around in his new Giulietta that he picks up on Friday!)

Small correction Vin, it was AROCA WA that couldn't hold 2012, not AROCA NSW.

Yup, the iron is absolutely glowing!

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Davidm1600

Hi guys, yes for sure, I reckon between us all we ought to be able to put together an excellent tour.

As also mentioned to Victor, I will check out the Targa timetable for 2012 and 2013, assuming Targa has these dates locked in.  I will also have a discussion with the guys from Shannons, as I would be surprised if they too wouldn't wish to get involved. 

Now, and just for the record, I have consulted my books (I do have a few ;D) on the topic of 105s and according to John Tiplers book Alfa Romeo Berlinas, the design for the Giulia Ti was completed by April 1961 with it launched in June 1962 at Monza, so I guess that means the 50th anniversary for the 105 Giulia sedan is 2012, not 2013.  The Giulia Sprint GT was introduced in 1963 and so its 50th anniversary is 2013. 

Given this I think I might leave it up to you guys on the mainland to decide which anniversary you might wish to celebrate.   
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina