weekend blast

Started by grpa9x, January 07, 2011, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grpa9x

hi all,
over the weekend a few mates and me went for a run down to the southern highlands, here are a few pics of the cars involved.
cheers michael

grpa9x

a few more,

cheers michael

Barry Edmunds

grpa9x
Hope you enjoyed your outing. That is a nice assortment of cars you had along for the run. Did the non Alfas have much trouble keeping up?

Sheldon McIntosh

Is that an Opel Monza? (2nd car - grey)

grpa9x

yeah that is the opal monza that peter brock brought into the country and put his group 3, 5.0 litre v8 into it, brock was going to market these cars, it is extremely well known as there are a few articles written about it, it is the one and only.
cheers michael

grpa9x

Quote from: edmunds on January 07, 2011, 10:06:42 PM
grpa9x
Hope you enjoyed your outing. That is a nice assortment of cars you had along for the run. Did the non Alfas have much trouble keeping up?

Actually the little alfa did pretty good in this company, it was certainly outgunned on the long back roads, but in the tight twisty stuff it could hold its own.
cheers ;D

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: grpa9x on January 08, 2011, 04:40:16 PM
yeah that is the opal monza that peter brock brought into the country and put his group 3, 5.0 litre v8 into it, brock was going to market these cars, it is extremely well known as there are a few articles written about it, it is the one and only.
cheers michael

I remember it well.  That's fantastic that he takes it out for a good run.  Auto or manual?

grpa9x

sheldon,
the monza has a borg warner t5 manual trans, and has 28,000 miles on the clock, the guy that owns this uses it regularly as he doesnt regard it as a garage princess, ( if i owned it, i wouldnt use it as often).
cheers michael

pep105

Michael,
I remember this car as well, I have the modern motor road test from 1984, in the article they compared the Monza to the group 3.
It's a shame Brocky never managed to sell these cars.

Some nice cars there, good to see you can get out for a nice drive with the boys.

I would love to do the same with my mates but nearly everyones car is off the road, one of which is an original VK Calais Director which hasn't been driven since 1998, as well as a GTV6 sitting in someones front yard.....................
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

grpa9x

pep,
normally when we go out those guys will drive their other cars, it looked a little overcast so they all took their run arounds. The guy with the yellow m3 usually takes his 328 gts ferrari, the guy with the wrx usually takes his 87 model 911, the guy with the mini also has a 328 gts.
cheers michael :)