Alfa 75 Milano Gold - Part 1 - Automatic gearbox

Started by Nikola, December 27, 2010, 09:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikola

Hy everyone down under.I have Alfa Milano Gold 2.5 V6 with automatic gearbox and I would like to learn more about it.I was looking over the internet and I couldn't find anything about that gearbox on that particular car.I know it's a 3 speed gearbox made by ZF and I saw that a steering gear pump is pumping ATF oil from a big plastic can to a steering rack and to automatic gearbox.How much oil does it needs,where to check a level,on which interval to change ATF and all other thing I don't know and my final question for all of you is:"Is there anybody who has a workshop manual with automatic gearbox for 2.5 Milano"?
1988. 75 3.0 V6 America-grey
1989. 75 3.0 V6 America-black
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black
1988. Milano Gold 2.5 V6 automatic-silver
1988. 33 1.3 Sportwagon-red

DAMO1A

Hi Nikola

I might have some tech data in the workshop manual for my S4 Spider which has the same gearbox.  I can probably scan some pages and send them to you.

Cheers Damian
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

Nikola

Damien that would be very nice from You and I would be very grateful.Thank You in advance and I'am waiting the files.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

scott.venables

Are you sure the PS pump supplies the transmission too? As well as the self levelling rear dampers?

Have you tried http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/ for a manual?

Cheers, Scott

Nikola

I think You are right.PS pump do not supply automatic gearbox with ATF,it supplyes steering gear and self leveling system.I tried that site which You recomended but only randomly because that workshop manual over there looks preety much the same as mine which is for normal manual gearbox Milano.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

MD

Nikola,

This is a very conventional ZF box. To service it, typically you need a hoist to drain and fill the oil sump.As with most auto transmission,you need to replace the internal filter and pan gasket. Once done, you need to refill it with a pressure oil delivery line usually to the bottom of the filler plug on the RHS.

The key thing is you must do the fill while the engine is running to get the correct oil level in the box.Change the oil and filter every 15,000km.

I suggest you simply let an automatice service outlet do this. They should also have references for the correct oil to replace.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Nikola

Quote from: MD on December 27, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
Nikola,

This is a very conventional ZF box. To service it, typically you need a hoist to drain and fill the oil sump.As with most auto transmission,you need to replace the internal filter and pan gasket. Once done, you need to refill it with a pressure oil delivery line usually to the bottom of the filler plug on the RHS.

The key thing is you must do the fill while the engine is running to get the correct oil level in the box.Change the oil and filter every 15,000km.

I suggest you simply let an automatice service outlet do this. They should also have references for the correct oil to replace.

You would not believe me.In Croatia and the rest of the Europe auto gearbox is not popular and 90 percent of people drives car with a manual gearbox.In Croatia there are few automatic gearbox service outlets and also there are few people in Croatia who repairs auto gearboxes.There is one guy in my town who works on those gearboxes together with his son.The guy was working that job in USA so that's how he knows to repair them.In Europe auto gearbox are driven by invalids and rich people in their's Mercs and BMW's.
Thank's for advice.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

MD

Oh I see. Based on your description of the car being a Milano, I presumed you were from the US. I also presumed you would have access to a world of auto transmissiom outlets-the US being the land of automatics.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Nikola

I need a further help concerning my Milano automatic gearbox.

1.Can anyone tell me where to find a deep stick on that gearbox and if there isn't one how to check oil level?

2.Is there a way how to get to the torque converter while gearbox is on the car and to remove oil from torque converter because some cars do have a nut on the torque converter?Is there a nut for removing the oil from the torque converter?

3.Does this gearbox have a LSD?
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

aggie57

HI Nikola,

1. No - you check it through the filler plug on the side of the transmission.  By memory there are instructions in the user manual.
2. Don't know.
3. Yes. 

Regards

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Nikola

Quote from: aggie57 on January 06, 2011, 07:20:18 AM
HI Nikola,

1. No - you check it through the filler plug on the side of the transmission.  By memory there are instructions in the user manual.
2. Don't know.
3. Yes. 

Regards

Alister

Much obliged Alister but can You please send me a user manual if You have in electronic form via e-mail or if You can scan me that particular few pages about automatic gear box and mail me?
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

MD

Nikola,

Stop looking.There is no dipstick.

If you cannot get a manual.

Contact ZF in Germany if you have to and get some procedure advice including oil types to use.
As for filling (in the absence of manual or other factual advice)

Put car on hoist, run engine in idle mode, remove filler plug, pump transmission oil into filler hole and stop when oil starts to come out of same hole. Let any excess oil come out and when stopped , put filler plug back into place and screw tight.

You now have oil in the gearbox but it needs to have a filter and gasket change before that as I have told you earlier.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Nikola

Quote from: MD on January 06, 2011, 09:40:15 AM
Nikola,

Stop looking.There is no dipstick.

If you cannot get a manual.

Contact ZF in Germany if you have to and get some procedure advice including oil types to use.
As for filling (in the absence of manual or other factual advice)

Put car on hoist, run engine in idle mode, remove filler plug, pump transmission oil into filler hole and stop when oil starts to come out of same hole. Let any excess oil come out and when stopped , put filler plug back into place and screw tight.

You now have oil in the gearbox but it needs to have a filter and gasket change before that as I have told you earlier.

That's good and I understand what You are telling me but I want to check how much oil is in the gearbox now but I don't know how.So if there is no a deep stick there is no way how to know how much oil is allready in there?
I'm I right?
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

MD

No you are not right and you are not using any imagination either.

Why don't you fill the box like  I told you and then drain it and measure the amount that is drained ? You will have your answer. Personally I would contact ZF.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Nikola