Autronic SM4 Install

Started by jimnielsen, December 24, 2010, 05:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

I decided to install an Autronic SM4 ECU in my Alfa 155 Q4 racecar. Its never an easy decision to render a perfectly operational car immobile by removing its ECU and half of its wiring, but it had to happen! The Autronic SM4 can be configured in ways that the standard ECU never dreamed of, and has much more sophisticated boost control. The installation was reasonably straightforwards, but quite time consuming, I would say that its about a 20hr job just to get it functioning in a basic form. Joe Beninca helped out with support via the telephone when I ran into trouble. The car started and ran (almost) first time - but because I had installed a normally closed relay instead of a normally open one - there was no power to the coils at first - after resolving that - off it went...Well at least well enough for it to go to Beninas on a trailer for proper fuel setup!
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

jimnielsen

a few more..

and a startup video no less!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpIxhIDy_o
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Frank Musco

aggie57

Good move Jim.  Dave Crump had an Autronic system on his 24-valve installation, now gone to Kevin Nesci.  Was wonderful and exceedingly easy to use.  Real time adjustments at very small increments across a wide range of calibrations using a HP hand-held portable.  Like moving from a Ford Anglia to the space age.

And having Joe's involvement, with his knowledge of these things, is a real bonus.  Quite the Christmas present!

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

jimnielsen

As well as putting in the Autronic SM4, I have embarked on a wiring rationalization program to remove all the wires from the car that I don't really need - So far I have more than 25kg of these wires in the junk box! Including the ABS componetry...
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Evan Bottcher

25kg  :o

That'd be like the weight saving I'd get putting Sheldon in the drivers seat..

You could almost afford to put a rollcage in now Jim.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Ray Pignataro

Neil its actually a little more then half. he will need to fatten up so he can tame this beast

Steve S

Nice one Jim.

Question, What are you doing with the Ostrich?  ;D

pancho

Hi Jim,

I've still got my SM4 unit unused in a box somewhere - did you use the tailpipe sensor to get it automatically tuned? Does your Sm4 have that feature installed/enabled? Just wondering how good the autotune really is.

cheers,
Pancho.

pancho

Sorry - I've found that my unit is an SM2 - not SM4. Now to find a suitable CDI Unit for it.

jimnielsen

The SM4 was tuned at Beninca in Melbourne using an Autronic Lambda meter. The Innovate Systems LC-1 wide band that I have is not really suited to using with autotune on the SM4 because it uses the chassis as the sensor ground. I am going to get a Tech Edge Lambda meter that has differential grounds so that I can use the auto tune data when the car is run on the track.

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4