Hopeful alfa romeo owner

Started by Sam Hope, December 24, 2010, 04:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Hope

First, id like to comment on the fact that, when i think of Alfa Romeo heritage, i think of racing, not town cars. too me a while to get it.

Anyway My name is Sam, im studying business and social sciences next year and will be driving a good hour and a half to university next year. The issue being that i have no car, My first car was a 1.5L sohc Daewoo Lanos. You're all going to laugh when i say this, but it was a fun car to drive. I actively enjoyed driving it. Its gone now though.

Next year i will need a car, but i have a few criteria.

• It must be fun to drive. I have driven quite a range of cars for an 18 year old and most are dull, the only two i have appreciated are my mothers 1953 morris with a 2.0L toyota motor and my daewoo.
  • It must be comfortable. I have to drive over 2 hours a day in this thing.
  • It must be reliable. I can't have a car that breaks down monthly.
  • It must be fun on the track, I intend on going to track days rather regularly and it doesn't have to be competitive, but it has to be something i can enjoy driving around the track
  • It must be a car to be proud of. In the coming years i will be trying to network with business men and people in high places for my own advantage. Imagine will be rather important for this. not a major thing but turning up in a rusted out datsun isn't really going to do the job.
  • It must be <$7500

It is because of this list i am here. I have always had a love for alfa romeos for as long as i could remember and early next year i intend on buying my first alfa romeo. I am looking at a v6 156 or a 3.0l alfa 75 but possibly a 90, 164 or 166. depending on what is available in my price range near me on the time and what i enjoy driving the most when i try them.

I would like to know whether the Alfa Romeo community think im making the right choice, whether you believe they meet my needs, whether you have a different suggestion for me or any alfa romeo related advice.

I look forward to becoming a part of this community and learning from the community.

Thanks for any help, Sam

JOHN G

Hi Sam
For me nothing comes close to the 116 GTV6 !
I am surprised you did not list this car it ticks all the boxes.Racing heritage ,Track ready,something you can be proud of and a car that is already considered a appreciating classic.(maybe just beyond your budget)

Second choice would be ALFA 75 3.0 cheaper to get in and will soon be a recognized classic due to the 75's racing heritage.(Choice with the heart)

However,with a budget of $7500 I would suggest you drive the ALFA 75 TwinSpark (Rear wheel drive,LSD,and a pearl of a chain driven motor)You can get a sorted lowish kilometer rust free example for around $5000 and have $2500 up your sleeve for mods ,service , maintenance etc.(Smartest choice)

John.

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Sam Hope

the twin spark 75 was what i was thinking falling short of a 156. i really love the shape and luxury of the 156.

With the 75 what are prices like? i seem to see ALOT of 75's getting around on carsales and ebay, are parts rare?

ALFA156DALE

Hi Sam,
            I am too an 18 year old and i have an alfa 156 V6, i absalutely  :P love my alfa and i wouldn't change it for any other car, alfas just seem to have this thing about them, that little bit more character then other cars. As top gear says " An Alfa Romeo is never boring." Anyone of any alfa is more exciting then any other car, so anyone one of your choices is a good choice, but i can happily say i havn't had any major problems with my 156, my mates with their commodores have more problems. Any Alfa is a Good Alfa!

Cheers
Dale
-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

madram

Have to vote with John G - an Alfa 75 TS would probably be your best bet for your budget. As much as I loved both the V6 75s I had - for all round reliability, affordability, drivability, robustness and practicality, it would be hard to go past the TS as one of the last great rear-wheel drive Alfas; a much undervalued "future classic" :)
Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti

hammer

Sam,

There are a couple of good 75 twinnies for sale at present - one for only $2800 up at Montville, southeast Qld. If you pick one up for that sort of money, be prepared to pump another $3000-$4000 into it to get it absolutely spot on. If you put the cash into it to begin with, it will be a reliable little machine, with heaps of poke and an absolute joy to drive. I've done a lot of track days (sprints and regularities) in a bog standard twinspark and, although they're a bit softly sprung straight from the factory, they're easy to toss around and at the end of the day you throw all your gear back in the boot and drive home!

I've also owned a 3.0 75 and while I rate it as one of the best cars I've owned, it chews a lot more juice, which on student wages is always a consideration.

I currently own a 156 Ti and whilst it's a fun car as well the seats are hard as rocks and not good for distance driving. 75 seats are terribly supportive but nice and comfy. Happy shopping!

Cheers,

Brent

Sam Hope

Well, im getting a kia rio for $2500 on road for now. :/ that will do me until i have a bit more money and can get a alfa and have it set up and ready to go, ~late march.

where do the alfa suds and the 33's come into this?

lombardi

U have agood sense of humor--KIA what !!!!!!
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Sam Hope

Its a short term car thats on the road and cheap. Will do me until i have something better.

Evan Bottcher

You could get a pretty good serviceable 33 for under $3k and chuck the Kia :)  Suds and 33s are fantastic fun on the road, very practical (especially the 33), reliable mechanically.  They aren't to everyone's taste if you like RWD purity. We own a 75 twinspark and have owned a couple of Suds and 33s (still own one Sud but that's a track car) and I'm pretty sure I don't enjoy the 75 more than the eager little 33 cloverleaf I 'sold' to Sheldon.

I know where there's a reasonably priced 33 16v in Melbourne.  Good mechanical knick, needs a little polish and some detailing for full potential.  PM me if you want details.  I'd take it but I don't want to pay a reasonable price...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

P.S. I had a 1.5 single-carb Sud when I was in university.  I abused the crap out of that car, never servicing it and driving the hell out of it and it never gave me any problems - apart from one broken driveshaft from stupid traffic light drags.  Perfect student car.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

33s are lots of fun.  For your price and use criteria, I reckon you can't go past either the 75TS or a 33 1.7 16V.  But personally I'd get a really good condition 90 or 75 2.5 litre, and spend a few grand on a Twinspark box, a set of yellow konis and some stiffer springs and bars (that's just what I would do, knowing what I know now about these cars, and having worked on and driven a few).  I don't think the 156 V6 would be much fun on the track (but I'm happy to be corrected here), and I know for sure that the 164 or 166 wouldn't be any fun on the track.

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on December 29, 2010, 10:17:29 PM
We own a 75 twinspark and have owned a couple of Suds and 33s (still own one Sud but that's a track car) and I'm pretty sure I don't enjoy the 75 more than the eager little 33 cloverleaf I 'sold' to Sheldon.

I recently spent the whole day driving this black car with a lovely V12 (but unfortunately an auto 'box) for a photoshoot.  After I dropped it off I got in the 33 for the drive home, and proceeded to have more fun in the first 2 blocks than I did in the entire days drive of the Ferrari.

John Hanslow

So it would depend on the cras, its history and price - and what you want.

- For a modern car a a 156 VG, plently around that have sort of high kms but strong motors that are  good for more.
- The 75 Twin Spark is much respected and said by many to be the best older Alfa around.
- Evan has a pint with his 33 comment - a few good ones around.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata