83 Giulietta Harmonic Balancer

Started by minipete, November 15, 2010, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minipete

The harmonic balancer on my Giulietta has got a bit of a wobble up.  The rubber is on the way out.

I'd like a new or reconditioned one if possible.

I have contacted Foleys, Turin Imports and Milano Spares and no one has a new balancer.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might have one?

I have read in the archives that there are aftermarket balancers, that sounds Ok but where do you get them? 

Pete

Barry Edmunds

Peter
Where are you located?
Suggest you try Hugh Harrison @ Monza Motors in Bayswater 03 9739 9946, or
Bruno at Maranello Pursang in Brunswick 03 9380 9650

minipete

I am in Sydney but I am happy to try anyone.  Thanks for the tips.

Pete

Barry Edmunds

Pete

You could try Tony McKone out west of Sydney on 4577 5144 or Rob Panetta at Manning Motors. Don't have Rob's tel number.

minipete

I spoke to Tony and he said 1.8's with AC had a solid pulleys.  Mine is the odd one out (I've had since it was almost new).  I have 2 spare engines with solid pulleys so will use one of those.  I wondered why my query was met with stoney silence, you must have thought I was mad.

Pete

minipete

Does anyone have a clever way of stopping the engine from spinning so I can get the pulley nut undone?

I have it in gear with the handbrake on and it just winds the donuts up, that can't be good for them.

Manual says to pull the starter and lock the flywheel which seems my only option unless someone has come up with a better (easier) way.

Pete

Barry Edmunds

Pete
Not sure if it is clever or not but a rattle gun can help to loosen the pulley nut.
Usually helps if you have a second body to stand (heavily) on the brakes, with car in gear, while you swing off the end of your spanner or socket handle. I have seen some instances of a long extension being added to the spanner/socket handle to get extra leverage.
Some years ago an inventive soul made up a tool using a small section of ring gear welded to a piece of steel that could then be bolted to the motor and effectively lock the motor. This enabled pulley removal to be done by one person.
Removing the starter motor to access and lock ring gear is another method but still needs a second body to be effective.
Barry

aggie57

Dont stress the donuts like that.  Do what the manual says and lock it through the starter area.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

minipete

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get the damn starter out.  A big fat screwdriver in the pinion gear and the balancer was off in no time.

There is so much beauty in the design and engineering of these cars yet some of it is awful.  I had to pull so many bits off the car just to do what should be a simple job.  I'm glad I wasn't paying someone $100/hr to do it.

Once the new seal and (solid) pulley are in place and everything is go again I am sure I will forgive it these indiscretions.

I will try to attach some photos of the pulleys in an attempt to prove I am not crazy.

Cheers
Pete

aggie57

Imagine how annoyed you'd be if the donuts were damaged by trying the "alternative"!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

minipete